Mark Lewisohn at the Newark (UK) Book Festival July 9th

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Phil_Lip

Mark Lewisohn at the Newark (UK) Book Festival July 9th

Post by Phil_Lip »

Not sure it's the right place for this.

Mark Lewisohn

Saturday July 9, 19:00. £13.50, Festival Friends £11.50

A Newark Book Festival event

No musical act is going to greater than the Beatles or make a greater contribution to British and world culture. John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr hold on strong, universally recognised as a great artistic force, somehow still current and woven into the fabric of everyday life – the four brilliant lads who pumped the heart of the decade that also won’t shut up, the 1960s.

Mark Lewisohn is the Beatles world authority. He’s the author of several acclaimed books, including Recording Sessions (1988, recently republished) and Tune In (2013), winner of the inaugural Penderyn Prize and the first in a comprehensive three-volume history, The Beatles: All These Years. Mark is presently hard at work on volume two.

Find out more about Newark Book Festival at www.newarkbookfestival.org.uk

https://www.palacenewarktickets.com/en- ... isohn/info

Amazingly, this is about 20 minutes away from where I live!
Most of my links are to OneDrive. However, OneDrive does impose a download limit and when this is reached displays a message that the files are deleted or have expired. Leave it a while and try again later.
Phil_Lip

Re: Mark Lewisohn at the Newark (UK) Book Festival July 9th

Post by Phil_Lip »

Just in case anyone didn't see it.
Most of my links are to OneDrive. However, OneDrive does impose a download limit and when this is reached displays a message that the files are deleted or have expired. Leave it a while and try again later.
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

Phil_Lip wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:10 pm Amazingly, this is about 20 minutes away from where I live!
It's only about 4200 miles from my house! :lol:
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Oh, someone record the audio with their phone please!
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Phil_Lip

Post by Phil_Lip »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:14 am Oh, someone record the audio with their phone please!
;)
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

I'm about 150 miles away. A bit too far - and the cost of petrol will be about 5x the cost of the ticket :(
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Phil_Lip wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:36 am
Lord Reith wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:14 am Oh, someone record the audio with their phone please!
;)
Thank you, Phil_Lip!
Current and currency are very much Beatledelic terms!
Thanks for keeping us up to date. It's ALL important!
KC
Phil_Lip

Post by Phil_Lip »

Audio coming soon.
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

:D :D :D
Phil_Lip

Post by Phil_Lip »

And here it is. https://tinyurl.com/2fvubeed

The content of the talk was a discussion around a series of photographs of each year between 1960 and 1969, four for each year. Given the audience were not necessarily die-hard Beatles fans, there was no deep dive into the history or heavy detail, but nevertheless, it was still a great evening out listening to him talk with so much enthusiasm.

With regard to the photographs, most of them should be identifiable from the descriptions. The only photographs I don't think I've seen before were the complete Robert Freeman, A Hard Day's Night sequence. I've had a quick search on the internet and from memory there certainly seemed to by more shown.

There was a book signing afterwards and I did get the chance for a brief conversation with him. I brought up the recent EMI House recordings to which he said that he had heard them (or maybe had them) 3 or 4 years ago, but in much better quality than those now circulating. I mentioned the lack of early years material still not released, specifically the Star Club recordings. To which he replied that he believed everything would some day be made available. He mention the Geoff Emerick tape. I also asked whether he had yet managed to get a copy of the 1969 boardroom tape yet, the answer to which was 'No, but I usually get what I want'.

With regard, to the recording. This was captured using the voice recorder on my iPhone. The sound was a little on the quiet side even though I was in the front row with the iPhone balance on my knee. The sound is a bit boomy and the host in particular can be a little quiet. However Mark does most of the talking so it's not too bad. Unfortunately there was a few 'experts' close by who couldn't resist commenting along with the talk, sometimes to hilarious affect. My favourite was when the Hey Jude picture came up and was identified by the person behind me as 'All you need is love' session. I haven't listened to it back yet so I'm not sure how much of this was picked up.

The folder contains both flac and mp3 versions in two parts as per the presentation.