How do you do it versions

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
beatleross

How do you do it versions

Post by beatleross »

I hope this is the place for this as I'm new here and working my way around this site.
I've always enjoyed the Beatles version of How do you do it and over the years I've found 3 versions of this song. They are all basically the same except for the ending and I'll explain what I've found here.
Version 1 found on Please Please Me Sessions disc 2
the refrain
“wish I knew how you do it to me
I’d do it to you”
is repeated 3 times at the end

Version 2 found on Please Please Me-Super Deluxe Edition disc 2
mixed by Geoff Emerick for the ‘Sessions’ project.
The refrain is edited to
but I haven’t a clue
wish I knew how you do it to me
I’d do it to you”
I’d do it to you”

Version 3 found on Sessions by Spank Records
The refrain is edited to
but I haven’t a clue
but I haven’t a clue
but I haven’t a clue

Can anyone throw any light on these?
Lord Reith

Re: How do you do it versions

Post by Lord Reith »

I've always thought there were only two versions: the original and the Sessions edit. But maybe he did two different edits?

Gotta say I found his editing on Sessions to be inexplicable. Some really bizarre decisions, like dropping a verse of If You've Got Trouble and duplicating one of the bridges instead of having two unique bridges. And the less said about Not Guilty the better! Madness! I can remember being totally bummed when I spun the Sessions lp for the first time in 1986 and realising Not Guilty did not even remotely match the lovely mono acetate version I had grown to love.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Very interesting beatleross. I've only ever heard versions 1 and 2. In fact on the Misterclaudel The Beatles - Sessions A Collection of Unreleased Albums 2CD it has two versions on Disc 1, the first from the 1985 mix (track 6) and the second from the 1984 mix (track 20) but both have the same version 2 ending.

Can anyone post a copy of Spank Records Sessions so we can listen to version 3?

Has anyone found version 3 on any other copies of Sessions?

Interestingly, neither Barry Mason's original 1962 demo (accompanied by the Dave Clark Five) nor Gerry And The Pacemakers' no. hit of 1963 end the same as any of the 3 Beatles versions.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I like the way The Beatles amanaged to turn it into a Beatle-sounding song though. The original demo is horrible and you can see why they hated the song. But they made a pretty good version of it I think. Just that John is making very little effort to disguise his lack of enthusiasm.

That said, when John spent an evening in a hotel room with Dave Morrel and Ron Furmaneck to watch the Washington film for the first time, he brought along in his bag his own personal acetate copy of HDYDI for them to hear. So he obviously thought it worth keeping all those years, when he seems to have kept very little if anything from his early Beatles years.
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

I heard the Gerry & The Pacemakers version on the radio again yesterday. They had the right mind to drop the worst bit of the song - that dreadful "Ooo La La" refrain!! :?

"You give me a feeling in my heart, Ooo La La" :roll:
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
gonchichi

How do you do it version 3

Post by gonchichi »

I have Sessions by Spank Records, but strangely it has version 2. Can anyone post a copy of Spank Records Sessions with version 3?
Rusty

Re: How do you do it version 3

Post by Rusty »

gonchichi wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:14 pm I have Sessions by Spank Records, but strangely it has version 2. Can anyone post a copy of Spank Records Sessions with version 3?

It seems that there are different versions of Spank's Sessions. http://www.beatleg.info/music/docs/beat ... /sp103.htm

beatleross wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:23 am Version 3 found on Sessions by Spank Records
The refrain is edited to
but I haven’t a clue
but I haven’t a clue
but I haven’t a clue

Can anyone throw any light on these?
It would be nice if both the original poster beatleross along with gonchichi could post their copies of the entire Spank Sessions CD along with accompanying artwork it might shed some light on the existence and source version 3.
Doug

Post by Doug »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:02 am Gotta say I found his editing on Sessions to be inexplicable.
Ditto, but "How Do You Do It" is the most inexplicable. At least you can say the others might have been edited to make them shorter. Then again, looping the end of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" was pretty bizarre, too.

My best guess is that it was done because someone needed to justify their own paycheck by doing it.
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

“The Beatles – In The Studio 1962/63 Please Please Me Recording Sessions” GR-623 7CD contains 5 different versions of “How Do You Do It?” - Take 2 mono, Take 2 mono alternate mix, ‘1,2,3,4!’ mix, 1985 Sessions mix and Anthology Mix. None of these are version 3.

Again I ask, can anyone produce a Spank Records copy of Sessions with version 3 on it? I'm beginning to think that someone at some stage may have "produced" their own version of "How Do You Do It?" with the ending edited to

but I haven’t a clue
but I haven’t a clue
but I haven’t a clue".

and beatleross has stumbled across it.
beatleross

Post by beatleross »

I don't recall now where I got it from but it is interesting.
I also have anomalies of other unreleased songs if anyone is interested.