Your greatest Beatleg moment

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
yymca6

Re: Your greatest Beatleg moment

Post by yymca6 »

For me it was Get Back To Toronto bought in the fall of 1970
Get Back To Toronto.jpg
Get Back To Toronto.jpg (41.88 KiB) Viewed 972 times
followed closely by the purchase of Live At Shea from Kustom Records (which is not Shea BTW) bought sometimes in 1971
Live At Shea.jpg
Live At Shea.jpg (804.43 KiB) Viewed 972 times
Yves
reechie

Post by reechie »

I was at the Allentown Fair, August 31, 1980. In one of the exhibition halls was a flea market, and one of the stands had boxes of various records. Imports and promo LP's, many by The Beatles, some that I'd heard of, others that I'd never run in to. Among them was "The Deccagone Sessions". I knew what a bootleg album was...I'd read about them in "Crawdaddy" magazine, but this was the first one I'd ever held in my hands, and it was a nice one. Cool looking color cover, intriguing track listing, and I was a budding Beatles freak, so I brought it home. Spent the entire night listening to it over and over again, unsure of what I was actually hearing, but pouring over it like it was some kind of clandestine communique that only I knew about! There was no looking back, I was a bootleg collector from then on. There were many more and better ones to follow, but that first one that sinks the hooks in is always special.

walrus gumboot

Post by walrus gumboot »

Finding Kum Back on Leeds Market
thewarpedvinyljunkie

Post by thewarpedvinyljunkie »

A friend came back from Florida in about 1972 with a record bearing a white label, in a white fold-open cover. One side was six Rolling Stones studio outtakes (including "Diddley Daddy"), the other was six live Beatles songs. He let me listen, but wouldn't let me record it (this, I guess, was the impetus for my being happy to spread around the music on any boots I would later buy), so I can't tell you the provenance of the live recording. About a year or two later, another friend found the address for Rock and Roll University, in North Carolina, run by a fellow named Wayne, who would deliver boots by mail if you mailed him a list and a check. Bootlegs became a regular part of my life after that, but I will never forget (nor stop searching for a copy of) that first half-and-half boot. Didn't see it on BZ, but maybe it'll show up somewhere...
The Warped Vinyl Junkie

"He never wore his shoes; we all knew he was dead."
ryan

Post by ryan »

I think it was buying an Unsurpassed Masters CD in the early 90s...after hearing DJs openly play cuts and name the album on air.
AllTogetherNow

Post by AllTogetherNow »

yymca6 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:33 pm For me it was Get Back To Toronto bought in the fall of 1970
Get Back To Toronto.jpg

followed closely by the purchase of Live At Shea from Kustom Records (which is not Shea BTW) bought sometimes in 1971

Live At Shea.jpg
Yves
What can I say Thoose where my first two bootlegs too.

But the package was diffrent. The Toronto was in a blue cover with the peace symbol on the front.
My She stadiom was in the shape of two EPs in green vinyl.

In addition I bought a LP in white cover with LET IT WAS printed on the front. All bought in London sep 1970 not far from Savile Row.
time flies doesnt it.

Kind Regards
ATN
Last edited by AllTogetherNow on Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whats in that jar on your shelf? Tar?
No...its liquid Vinyl for making my dream collection.

The one with the Golden lid too?
Thats exclusive for Lord Reiths stuff
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

thewarpedvinyljunkie wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:24 pm About a year or two later, another friend found the address for Rock and Roll University, in North Carolina, run by a fellow named Wayne, who would deliver boots by mail if you mailed him a list and a check.
AdLibitum Records was a reliable source of mid-70s mail-order boots.
I can't remember his location. Every title I ever ordered had white plain jacket w/ 8.5 X 11 sheet of pastel colored paper photo copied in black.
Sub standard shrink wrap...white inner sleeves...white or black unprinted labels. Service was great. His Beatles selections were just ho-hum like Shea Stadium, Spicy Beatles Songs, Five Nights In Judo Arena, Kum Back, Hollywood Bowl, Atlanta Whiskey-Flats, Renaissance Minstrels, A double disc Beatles And Stones affair that featured Too Many Cooks And We Love You And The End single (Shapes Of Orange, Loving Sacred Loving). I bought a bunch of Queen Boots, instead.
KC
thewarpedvinyljunkie

Post by thewarpedvinyljunkie »

AllTogetherNow wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:25 am My She stadiom was in the shape of two EPs in green vinyl.
Oh, that sounds like a treasure. I hope you still have it!
The Warped Vinyl Junkie

"He never wore his shoes; we all knew he was dead."
AllTogetherNow

Post by AllTogetherNow »

thewarpedvinyljunkie wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:53 am
AllTogetherNow wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:25 am My She stadiom was in the shape of two EPs in green vinyl.
Oh, that sounds like a treasure. I hope you still have it!
I Only played it once IMAGINE flopping the discs to be able to hear the full concert e.g 4 sides.
First side ended while i was pouring my bear. Second side ending when I finally sat down.... :D

Guess I have it..Interested?

Regards
ATN
Whats in that jar on your shelf? Tar?
No...its liquid Vinyl for making my dream collection.

The one with the Golden lid too?
Thats exclusive for Lord Reiths stuff
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

AllTogetherNow wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:25 am uote]

Yves
What can I say Thoose where my first two bootlegs too.

But the package was diffrent. The Toronto was in a blue cover with the peace symbol on the front.
My She stadiom was in the shape of two EPs in green vinyl.

In addition I bought a LP in white cover with LET IT WAS printed on the front. All bought in London sep 1970 not far from Savile Row.
time flies doesnt it.

Kind Regards
ATN
Wow what a coincidence. The good old days.
Yves