John's Just Fun Earliest Bootleg Outing?

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
RunoutGroove

John's Just Fun Earliest Bootleg Outing?

Post by RunoutGroove »

I was watching The Compleat Beatles Film today (Thanks again K_A_P68), and at 1hr 1min 21secs you can hear John singing a line from 'Just Fun.' The visuals would have you think it's an early studio take from Abbey Road, but is of course from the Get Back Sessions (January 8). What interested me is that the film was released in 1982, so the making of it was, I assume, at least a year earlier. Where did the makers get this tape from? Was 'Just Fun' available on any bootleg prior to this date? Albeit only a few seconds long.
MarkRJones1970

Re: John's Just Fun Earliest Bootleg Outing?

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Yeah it was available at that point on bootleg. There's another section too where you can hear John doing 'Too Bad About Sorrows' also from the 'Get Back' sessions. It starts around 31:12 of the doc where George Martin is talking about their 1st work in the studio and the slow version of 'Please Please Me'.

Here's the audio they used on YT:

One of the earliest releases I can find that featured 'Just Fun' was 'The Black Album', which also had that rough version of 'Too Bad About Sorrows' and that has a date of release as 1981. I guess the makers of 'The Compleat Beatles' had a copy:
https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-The ... se/2801113

https://www.collectorsmusicreviews.com/ ... y-ext-005/
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
RunoutGroove

Post by RunoutGroove »

Sterling work that Mark. Thank you for putting that right for me! Nice little clip as well. The Black Album, wow . I'll have another look at your recent bootleg chronicle story and see if I can spot it in your photos :D
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Its not there. I only ever had it on tape back then.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
LFSDoc

Post by LFSDoc »

RunoutGroove wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:00 am I was watching The Compleat Beatles Film today (Thanks again K_A_P68), and at 1hr 1min 21secs you can hear John singing a line from 'Just Fun.' The visuals would have you think it's an early studio take from Abbey Road, but is of course from the Get Back Sessions (January 8). What interested me is that the film was released in 1982, so the making of it was, I assume, at least a year earlier. Where did the makers get this tape from? Was 'Just Fun' available on any bootleg prior to this date? Albeit only a few seconds long.
the Jan 8th tape started circulating on two EP's 'Twickenham Jams' and 'Watching Rainbows' (on which I believe Just Fun first appeared - uncredited) in 1977, and a year later or so on the Watching Rainbows LP. The Black Album featured an expanded and better quality issue of the same tape.
Doc
RunoutGroove

Post by RunoutGroove »

Thanks to both above members. It seems then, John's Just Fun was in circulation well before the Compleat Beatles. Those EP's would be nice to have. Someone should do a stereo mix with John & Paul united. Only 2 days separated their 'versions' it must have been bouncing around John's head after Paul referenced it.