Which are your favourite books about or that talk about unreleased recordings?

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
MarkRJones1970

Which are your favourite books about or that talk about unreleased recordings?

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

I have a couple which are shown here, purchased from back in the late the 80s up until yesterday:

Every single one has information in them that is utterly fascinating but my favs are:
These, 'The 910's Guide to the Beatles Outtakes (Parts 1, 2 & 3) by Doug Sulpy, are utterly indespensible and I've read them over and over again. Well worth adding to your library if you can find copies.

'The Beatles Film & TV Chroncile' byJorg Pieper & Volker Path is another brilliant book that also deleves into the world of the Fab Four on video. Eric Krasker's book 'Fact or Fiction 1960-1962' attempts to clear up many mysteries from the pre-fame era.

I bought these 'Belmo Beatleg News' compilations last year. Amazing books. Back in the late 80s and 90s I bought every copy I could find at record fairs but their availability was somewhat sporadic over here in the UK so there was lots of issues I missed out on. Here is EVERYTHING and it's so interesting to have a flick through. Poor Doug though never did get his copy of the slow version of 'Please Please Me' - he regularly asks readers if they have it and to send it him. 'Way Beyond Compare' and 'That Magic Feeling' by John C. Winn are also essential. These books are so good I rebought the updated, 2nd version shown here & donated my old copies to another Beatles bootleg fan.

ANY book here is worth getting if you can find a 2nd hand copy so don't let the fact that I may have not have mentioned a specific publication.

What books on boots etc do you have and what're your favs? Am I missing any essential tomes?
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
joguema

Re: Which are your favourite books about or that talk about unreleased recordings?

Post by joguema »

I have most of those in your posting plus these:

WilliamShears
Site Admin

Re: Which are your favourite books about or that talk about unreleased recordings?

Post by WilliamShears »

Definitely most of those (all of Dougs and the hot wacks, black market beatles, etc). But the first one I got was the Ultimate Recording Sessions by Allen J Wiener. Mentions in there of Beatles songs I've never heard of before is what kicked off my rabid addiction to the unreleased...I was highlighting and marking inside this book and the original DDSI until Doug issued his outtake books with helpful check boxes :)
urg.jpeg
urg.jpeg (38.18 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

There is also Belmo's book on Jimi Hendrix' bootlegs. JUST AVOID. The worst bootleg reference book ever!
C90

Post by C90 »

In the late 80s/early 90s there was a series of hardback books published by 'Rock & Roll Reference Series' called An Audiophile's Guide To The Sound of The Fab Four. Volume 1 by David Schwartz was dedicated to bootleg LPs and (official) singles.

hxxps://www.ebay.com/itm/LISTENING-TO-BEATLES-A ... 4539770741

I found it on sale at, I think, the flagship Virgin Records Megastore in London in the early 90s, which used to have a fantastic section for books and magazines, including many very obscure imports, fanzines etc. It didn't have a huge scope of titles covered, but there were plenty of classics and what was featured was really nicely presented - (B/W) images of record sleeves, labels and tracklistings for loads of classic titles such as the Beatles At The Beeb series, plus detailed notes on sound quality. It's content was invaluable in the pre-internet era.
It was hugely expensive at £24.95, but I had to buy it - it was one of those 'I'll never see a copy again' urges - and I never regretted it.
'Black Market Beatles' and 'Not For Sale' were equally good but I didn't track down copies for a while after, so this book was my beatleg bible for quite some time.
bobzilla

Post by bobzilla »

I actually have 3 copies of DDSI. The first is the original 1994 (signed by both the authors). I'm pretty sure I ordered it directly from the 910 magazine. The second is the hard cover 1997 reissue with added info, and the third is the soft cover 1997 that I ordered on Amazon years later when I couldn't find my originals so I re-bought it (then found my originals in a box in a closet at my parents house).