Quality Control

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
FileUnderT

Quality Control

Post by FileUnderT »

Back in the early 80s when I used to have to spend £30 on one of Fenno Werkmann’s 30minute cassette titles, i was often disappoint by the grainy film transfers and his ‘wonky’ titles all over the opening scenes.

Today, with digital quality, some great footage can be obtained.

Can I ask just where do you draw the line on quality and do you expect top, DVD quality all the time?
Lord Reith

Re: Quality Control

Post by Lord Reith »

The things which I find irritating in a video are:

- shaking picture

- cropping, unless it was shot in a way intended to be cropped later

- timecodes

- screen junk like channel idents

- deinterlacing from 50i to 25p

- juddery movement

- macroblocking (heavy pixellation)

Twenty years ago practically every video you could find was like that. Some labels like Misterclaudel were the first to issue good quality videos. Others were unearthed by fans and shared on BZ. I think we have very good copies of every Beatles music video now, and although some of them could be better, there is nothing that is dire.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Megazeti

Re: Quality Control

Post by Megazeti »

I usually have a moment when people upload eg 50 fps of a 25 fps source. First time I downloaded an 80s off-air race I thought howd you do that until I read how it can be done.

Another race I downloaded the audio they double-tracked, horribly echoed and then locked it to both channels.

True aspects, instead of 4x3 they zoom it in making it full screen cropping the picture although I have to remember its their choice but it ps me off. Similar also is squeezed to 4x3 so you got to unsqueeze it.

Excessive audio noise removal, f*** Mark Ayres Ps me off big time especially optical tracks or opt-mag which ends up sounding like dinner cooking. Grab any Doctor Who release any you'll hear why.

At the end of the day i suppose you've got to put up and respect some creators intentions cos sometimes that's the only source you'll ever have, even though they may be amateurs their product can turn out to what we in the industry would label as a crap source compared to someone who understands the consequences of what they're applying.