Alarm clock bells in Monkees' "Daydream Believer"?

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Oleg Vostyakov

Re: Alarm clock bells in Monkees' "Daydream Believer"?

Post by Oleg Vostyakov »

mojofilter wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:06 am I could swear that I've heard a mix of "Daydream Believer" in which, following the line "but it rings..." there's the sound of an alarm clock going off. I went over this with one of the guys who put together the massive "Monkee Mixes" set, and neither of us had a mix with that effect. I played all my iterations of that song, and all instances of it on "Monkee Mixes" and none of them had an alarm clock after that phrase. Am I just imagining it, or does such a thing really exist?
Is it specially made item the song like "Sting's sitting on piano" in Roxanne?
Scores on The Beatles music- https://musescore.com/artist/the_beatles-129358
The program of training me as a musician: https://musescore.com/courses/music-composition
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

alphabeatles wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:53 am Thanks etk01, that helps!

And here we all are like ding-dongs downloading 24/192 rips of stuff, as if.............
A very sailent point. Even someone with perfect hearing range wouldn't appreciate any difference between 24/192 and 24/96...or probably even 16/44.
harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

The odd thing is I have many hi res vinyl rips, but they all sound worse or at best equal to their 16 bit counterparts.
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

harrythebannister wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:06 pm The odd thing is I have many hi res vinyl rips, but they all sound worse or at best equal to their 16 bit counterparts.
They won't sound any better. it can be argued that a hi res (for clarity that is defined as anything greater than 16/48) file CAN sound better as it can capture more. BUT vinyl doesn't have the capability to use that extra space. It has a frequency range and a sound to noise range that is covered by a 'normal' level lossless capture. You record a record at 24/96 or higher and you are just adding a lot of zeros on your hard drive.

There are arguments for recording in 24bit or higher for various reasons (won't get into that right now) but for listening the recording made at hi-res will NOT suffer in any audible way when taken down to 16bit...as long as it is dithered correctly.

I do download shared 24/96 rips in the absence of a 16/44 share...such as pbthal's...but they are taken to 16/44 flac when I add them to my archive.

Ian

P.S. Interesting you say, some as least, 'sound worse'. I have read many articles on this subject and I do recall at least one 'authority' in the recording engineer fraternity saying there was some reason that can be the case, but I can't recall what it was. On the other hand it could just be no dither or poor dithering was applied...?