Alarm clock bells in Monkees' "Daydream Believer"?

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
mojofilter

Alarm clock bells in Monkees' "Daydream Believer"?

Post by mojofilter »

I could swear that I've heard a mix of "Daydream Believer" in which, following the line "but it rings..." there's the sound of an alarm clock going off. I went over this with one of the guys who put together the massive "Monkee Mixes" set, and neither of us had a mix with that effect. I played all my iterations of that song, and all instances of it on "Monkee Mixes" and none of them had an alarm clock after that phrase. Am I just imagining it, or does such a thing really exist?
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
ianbuckers

Re: Alarm clock bells in Monkees' "Daydream Believer"?

Post by ianbuckers »

mojofilter wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:06 am I could swear that I've heard a mix of "Daydream Believer" in which, following the line "but it rings..." there's the sound of an alarm clock going off. I went over this with one of the guys who put together the massive "Monkee Mixes" set, and neither of us had a mix with that effect. I played all my iterations of that song, and all instances of it on "Monkee Mixes" and none of them had an alarm clock after that phrase. Am I just imagining it, or does such a thing really exist?
Ah 7a!

The stereo version on disc 1 and the mono version on disc 2 of The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees (Deluxe Edition) has it. The Monkees - Greatest Hits (stereo) has it.

I'd say it's the standard mix.
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

Thank you for your detective work!

I don't know how "standard" a mix it is, because it's not on the mono single, or the Rhino "TB, TB & TM" or "Then And Now" LP or "Magical Mystery Mixes" or "Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 4" or "5," The Classic Albums Collection" or its bonus disc, Arista "Greatest Hits", Rhino "Greatest Hits," "Anthology" or "The Definitive Monkees" or "AM Gold 1967" or "TB, TB & TM (expanded)" or "Listen To The Band" or a 3" CD of that record, or "Greatest Hits" (Colgems) or "The Monkee Archives" or "Music Box" or "Monkee Mixes: TB, TB & TM ("mono" or "stereo" or "Alternates"), "50th Anniversary Collection" or "Arista JPN CD Mixes" or "Singles In Mono" or "Singles 2 in Stereo." It seems that they have only reissued that track mainly without it. That's 27 places where you can't find it.

Is there any chance you'd be willing to share the iteration you have that has the alarm clock on it?
stereoman33

Post by stereoman33 »

That's funny LOl because i've never heard a version without the alarm clock!

I had the Arista greatest hits on vinyl and the alarm clock is there, but the top end on that lp really sucks and is really rolled off,
so you may not notice it
it certainly was on the emi Australian double lp of the monkees anthology from the early 1980's compiled by Glen A Baker

there is also a thread in this group under "other artists"

that has a heap of monkees stuff

UPDATED 9-13-21 Monkee Mixes 1965-70 Ten Vol set by Longplayer

and on the very first post you'll find a link to the lp you want
which is

hXXps://spaces.hightail.com/receive/RkAaGkSfuJ
Last edited by stereoman33 on Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

mojofilter wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:01 am Thank you for your detective work!

I don't know how "standard" a mix it is, because it's not on the mono single, or the Rhino "TB, TB & TM" or "Then And Now" LP or "Magical Mystery Mixes" or "Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 4" or "5," The Classic Albums Collection or its bonus disc, Arista "Greatest Hits", Rhino "Greatest Hits," "Anthology" or "The Definitive Monkees" or "AM Gold 1967" or "TB, TB & TM (expanded)" or "Listen To The Band" or a 3" CD of that record, or "Greatest Hits" (Colgems) or "The Monkee Archives" or "Music Box" or "Monkee Mixes: TB, TB & TM ("mono" or "stereo" or "Alternates"), "50th Anniversary Collection" or "Arista JPN CD Mixes" or "Singles In Mono" or "Singles 2 in Stereo." It seems that they have only reissued that track mainly without it.

Is there any chance you'd be willing to share the iteration you have that has the alarm clock on it?
Really? I assumed it was the standard album stereo mix on the basis it was on the 'original' album discs of TB, TB & TM deluxe. I didn't check all those other sources.

To clarify I find in on a rip of Rhino Handmade – RHM2 522248 (disc 1 stereo & disc 2 mono) and a rip of Dr. Ebbetts Greatest Hits itself purporting to be a rip of US Stereo LP - Colgems COS-115.

Do you have either of those to check for yourself?
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

The Rhino Handmade edition is one of the few Monkees albums I don't have. I just played the DESS CD of the Greatest Hits and it doesn't have the bells, either. Beyond that, I mentioned all the sources that I have, none of which have alarm bells in the mix.

Edit: I would have thought that Todd's "Monkee Mixes" would have included that Handmade album. Obviously not. This calls into question other mixes that he purports to have included. Oh jeez.
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

mojofilter wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:18 am The Rhino Handmade edition is one of the few Monkees albums I don't have. I just played the DESS CD of the Greatest Hits and it doesn't have the bells, either. Beyond that, I mentioned all the sources that I have, none of which have alarm bells in the mix.
From my copy of DESS Greatest Hits...

hxxps://gofile.io/d/uoVLr2
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

I can't hear an alarm bell in that song, but the spectral view of it shows a line of frequency at 8914 Hz in the right channel. I can't hear it. As George Martin once said when he discovered he was losing his hearing, "Oh shit."
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

mojofilter wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:40 am I can't hear an alarm bell in that song, but the spectral view of it shows a line of frequency at 8914 Hz in the right channel. I can't hear it. As George Martin once said when he discovered he was losing his hearing, "Oh shit."
I was going to...as politely as possible...raise the possibility of hearing loss mojo. The alarm is definitely there.
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

But I'm only 63. f*ck.