Get Back Footage

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
malomojo

Get Back Footage

Post by malomojo »

My first post, with my first question. God, I hope I do not sound like an idiot for posting this, but here goes.
Just wondering, why we only have 57 hours of film footage, as opposed to 150 hours of audio. I know there was some points that the camera crew didn't have the cameras rolling, but had their Nagra tape machines running. But, only 57 hours of film footage? I mean, I can see 100 hours of film footage, and 50 hours of audio. I wonder if 57 hours was what they legitimately shot, or if some of the footage was carted off by some of the same thieves who stole one of Pauls bass guitars, and Nagra tapes? I dunno, it just strikes me as odd that there is that much more audio material then there is filmed material. Just a question.
kieranjames

Re: Get Back Footage

Post by kieranjames »

Bear in mind that shooting film is quite expensive. Unlike today they couldn't just let cameras run indefinitely. Shooting 57 hours for a 90minute documentary equates to about a 40 to 1 shooting ratio which is quite high for the time.
I wonder if the 57 hours includes the same scenes shot with multiple camera angles? If so then there are a lot less actual hours to correlate to the audio.
bobzilla

Re: Get Back Footage

Post by bobzilla »

Like kieranjames, it was more expensive to shoot film than audio. Also, the original concept was to record themselves rehearsing for a live show. And as of day 1 it was going to be a live show of songs from the White Album, so initially they were probably just going to wait until they figured out which songs they were going to play before filming the rehearsals in earnest. So by the time that concept was thrown out the window they didn't know what they were doing, so it was probably just "shoot when it seems like they might be doing something interesting".
kieranjames wrote:I wonder if the 57 hours includes the same scenes shot with multiple camera angles?
I would assume so, yes. The 160 hours of audio includes overlap, which would indicate that the video is multi-counted too. If the A and B cameras were running at the same time (and there were 8 cameras running for the rooftop) we're looking at more like 27 hours of actual footage shot.