And so it ends after 11 years...

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
RubberSolof

And so it ends after 11 years...

Post by RubberSolof »

A Note I posted on our radio website last night:

And so it ends...

My Beatles station has closed up shop after 20 years on the "Air".

Tonight I'm writing a Love Letter...and I will try to keep it brief. This one goes out to all the fans (Here and elsewhere) who've listened over the years to my show OFF THE BEATLE TRACK and also to my fellow DJ's. But mostly...almost completely... it goes out to Pat Matthews Helmstetter, my boss, but more importantly, my friend.

Although I'm terrible at keeping track of these things...somewhere around 11 years ago I approached him with an idea to do a SINGLE 2-hour show on the Beatles & Classical Music. After listening to my demo, all he had the balls to say was:

"It's good...you're on every Saturday at 1pm from now on."

That was 11 years (and 315 shows) ago, and he never said no to a single show idea I've had since.

I've had the best time doing regular rarities shows, funny shows like my Animals shows or my Food shows, and serious shows like my show honoring fellow DJ Ray Whitaker's Just 4 Guys. Along the way, I did tribute shows to Casey Kasem, Wolfman Jack, WKRP, and movies like The Shining and All You Need Is Cash. I did real interview shows with members from Klaatu and fake interviews with every member of The Beatles themselves. It was a great fun long run. But now it's over.

Over the years, I've watched my Beatles collection of rarities grow from a single 1TB hard drive to over THREE 10TB hard drives full of rare Beatles tunes...and I love them all.

It was my honor and pleasure to be a DJ at Beatlesarama, and my Thursday nights just won't be the same without it around (my Saturday show was due in Pat's hands every Friday Morning). I always put off recording my shows until the very last minute, which was Thursday night, so I was always up until 3-4 am every Thursday getting them ready!) So many great Late Night memories!

So Thanks go out to Pat... we've went through a lot over the years but I'm happy to say ALL the memories were great ones!

Take care my friend.. and if you Or anyone here ever need me...I'm just a phone call or Text (or Facebook Message) away!! Just light up the ole Bat...I mean BEAT Signal and I'll be there!

The Beatles were right...ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE and he's been providing that via Beatlesarama since Day One twenty years ago!

PEACE AND LOVE EVERYBODY

... Imagine that!

-Michael "RubberSolof" Solof
joguema

Re: And so it ends after 11 years...

Post by joguema »

Thanks for all the shows you shared with us, Mike!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Sad to hear that. Hope it was your own choice. :(
RubberSolof

Post by RubberSolof »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:23 am Sad to hear that. Hope it was your own choice. :(
Unfortunately not... the entire station cost big bucks to run every month and the listeners weren't helping and advertising is tough and the rules kept getting stricter. So Pat, the guy running the thing, finally said enough. I would keep doing my show for forever lol!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

That's a real shame. How about a podcast instead?