BBC POTPOURI

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Purple Chick

Re: BBC POTPOURI

Post by Purple Chick »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:27 amActually The Seekers and The Searchers are both in the same show, so here is the whole show. Also features Sandie shaw and John Mayall.
Cool - thank you!

Be interesting to compare it with the 2004 Sanctuary CD - they did two versions of Bumble Bee on TOTP and looking at the tracklists, I *think* that show 27 one is the one that got released.

Speaking of which, someone sent me this picture, but unfortunately not the audio. There are maybe four or five songs that didn't make the official release (and I have, I think, two-and-a-half of them):

Have you seen the recent documentary "The Seekers A World Of Their Own"? They have some interesting things to say.
It's on my way-too-long 'must watch that at some point' list. I'll try and get to it soon!

I also keep putting off investing in the vinyl I need to pull together a 'complete' collection. (I think I have most everything on mp3, but you know how that is...)
Antonio218

Post by Antonio218 »

Thanks a million Lord reith
datters

Post by datters »

Yes, thank you very much. The Way Back Machine is puttin' along nicely.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Purple Chick wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:03 am Speaking of which, someone sent me this picture, but unfortunately not the audio. There are maybe four or five songs that didn't make the official release (and I have, I think, two-and-a-half of them):

Don't have that sorry, or any other Searchers BBC stuff.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
ennolenno

Post by ennolenno »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:27 am Actually The Seekers and The Searchers are both in the same show, so here is the whole show. Also features Sandie shaw and John Mayall.
Oh this is great, thank you very much. I especially love the John Mayall tracks. Although they've been available on former official and unofficial CDs, I've never heard them with Brian Matthew's announcements. Makes listening much more joyful, IMO. Brian Matthew had a great voice to listen to.
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:40 pm
ringo9 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:12 pm Day dreaming a bit here but it would be so cool if you were to make a Queen or Led Zepp bbc set as well
Isn't there an official LZ set? I know there's ones for Cream and Hendrix.
Official LZ is not that complete. Just recently, Captain Acid did a remaster of the Empress Valley bootleg - can be easily found at IORR or Guitars101.
Queen stuff can be probably found at the "QueenChat" forum (the successor of Queenzone), I think.

Thank you for this stuff, Lord!
tantrist

Post by tantrist »

The Searchers set is here

hxxps://we.tl/t-9wYQVGU0oy
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

Oh dear have I revealed my ignorance!

I'd always passed on downloading Top Of The Pops Transcription disc rips as I assumed it was just a recorded radio show...i.e. the music was from commercial released discs spun by the DJ. But in fact the music is specially recorded for the BBC? Just like the Beatles BBC stuff wee know and love?
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

tantrist wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:58 am The Searchers set is here

hxxps://we.tl/t-9wYQVGU0oy
'Tis but mp3!
Egg_Crisis

Post by Egg_Crisis »

ianbuckers wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:48 pm But in fact the music is specially recorded for the BBC? Just like the Beatles BBC stuff wee know and love?
Yes, all the music is taken from sessions from shows like Saturday Club & Top Gear, and any other show that features live sessions since they plundered whatever was available. Those discs are the only source for most of the stuff on them (as well as off-air recordings of course), what with most of the archive tapes going awol a long time ago.