Ruminations on The Beatles in 1962

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Lord Reith

Ruminations on The Beatles in 1962

Post by Lord Reith »

After experimenting with demixing Decca, I shared these thoughts privately with another member and he encouraged me to post them publicly. So if they bore you to death, you'll know I'm not to blame! :lol:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In the last few days I've come to the conclusion that Decca was NOT an artist test ie: to see if they were any good. It was a recording test [EDIT: correct term is "commercial test"], to see if they could get a decent sound out of them in the studio. Mike had seen them at the Cavern, so he knew what they sounded like and what their repertoire was. I don't think he actually cared what songs they played that day because it was the A&R man's job to find material for the group, not the other way around. In those days I find it difficult to grasp that any A&R guy would let a group waltz into the studio and have them and their manager dictate what they should release. When they went to EMI, George Martin disregarded the material they played him because he thought it was all corny. Like anyone else in that job, he set about finding them a song to record from professional songwriters. So I think Mike would have basically been ignoring the songs and concentrating instead on seeing if he could get a good sound out of them in the studio ie: a recording test. The biggest giveaway for me is that he's fiddling with the reverb levels all the time. I had never thought about this before until I started demixing it. Four or five songs start out more or less dry and then the reverb on the vocal increases, sometime drastically so. On other songs, he's cranked up the bass guitar to unheard of levels, perhaps in an effort to beef up the sound. The drums are sometimes mixed faintly and sometimes prominently. This all sounds to me like someone saying "play me a bunch of songs while we experiment with the sound." So basically I think they failed that test, not because Dick Rowe said so but because they did NOT work well inside a studio. The sound that came over well in a crowded club did not come over well when you shone a bright light on it in the studio. Pete's bass drum - the driving factor in their stage sound at that time - comes over as monotonous and overpowering. Paul's Elvis voice doesn't gel with the other two voices. George is straining all his vocals because he's used to shouting into a mic and has never heard his voice played back before. In short, they had a sound that worked live but had not ever heard their repertoire recorded professionally, so they had never had an opportunity to reflect on their style and adapt it. When they got to EMI they had exactly the same problem, because Love Me Do and Besame Mucho basically sound rubbish. Norman Smith said there was a discussion afterwards about their amps and how they had to be upgraded, but I think there was probably also a great deal of mentoring over the next few months from George Martin about how to adapt their style to the studio. He quickly identified the most obvious problem - the drummer - and rectified it in his own way by summarily dispensing with Pete. He then didn't like Ringo either and I think this probably rocked them to their core and a lot of practise and re-shaping their sound followed from this. It's no coincidence I think that their entire sound changed drastically at this juncture, almost entirely due to Ringo and George Martin in my opinion.

So, no, I don't think they were any good before that. They were a good bar band with an unusual stage presence and humour. But let's face it, their early songs were pretty average and the sound they made at Decca is underwhelming. They didn't sound any better on Here We Go either, but just had the benefit of kids clapping and screaming. If those first two BBC shows had been done in an empty studio and we had them in high quality, I think they would sound virtually identical to Decca. And therein lies the problem: you can't take your audience into the studio. You have to find a way of adapting your sound so that it still comes over as exciting in a sterile environment. That to me is what they learnt from GM in the last half of 1962. At Decca they had no clue about any of that stuff.
Last edited by Lord Reith on Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Notecnirp

Re: Ruminations on The Beatles in 1962

Post by Notecnirp »

Great observation dear LR! What an amazing revelation! Thanks!
ringo9

Post by ringo9 »

I'll say it again. I wish you had a podcast.

If memory severs well a recording test is what Queen made in 1971 and produce early version of many tunes that would appear in their debut album in 73
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I dunno if it's an amazing revelation but it just seems to me that 1962 was vastly more eventful than we realise. Unfortunately it was all going on behind the scenes so there's no record of it. But geez, they were entirely re-invented both in image and sound in that one year.
I'll say it again. I wish you had a podcast.
But then you'd all find out I'm a woman.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Notecnirp

Post by Notecnirp »

Indeed '62 was such year for the soon to be fab four, and with Brian and GM, they really work hard to have a record. And then to be recording artists. The rest as they say fab history. 🙂
miggynav

Post by miggynav »

Thanks for sharing your insight and conclusion, sounds pretty plausible. Are you working on a newly improved, demixed, remixed, and remastered full-dimensional hyper stereo Decca Audition Tapes? :)
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

Up until now, I didn't know that there was a difference between a "recording test" and an "artist test." That explains why reverb would be changed in the middle of a song-- Smith wasn't interested in recording a song for release, but looking at what qualities he might be able to accentuate or otherwise spotlight in future recording sessions. Makes sense.

Dick Rowe and Mike Smith can be faulted for not having George Martin's insights on how to turn the Beatles into a viable recording outfit. Rowe & Smith looked at them and thought about how THEY could make the Beatles better. Martin looked at them and thought about that, too, but also assessed how THE BEATLES could make themselves better. Rowe tried to gently suggest that Brian hire an independent producer to record a few more tracks for them. Martin meanwhile not so gently suggested wholesale changes.

Martin & Parlophone were their last gasp opportunity. Every other label had rejected them. They had no other options; if they wanted a record deal, the needed to take up Martin's suggestions. We're lucky Martin wasn't the FIRST producer to given them a listen, for the Beatles would likely have rejected his ideas in hopes that other producers might've thought differently.

Having sacked Pete Best and attempting to sack his replacement. Martin had other opinions about how the band needed to change. He slowed down the frenetic tempo of a lot of their songs. Compare the the March 62 Here We Go "Please Mr. Postman" to the released version. Night and Day.

Also though, look at the June 11 62 Here We Go "Ask Me Why." It sounds pretty darn good. And it should-- they'd played the song to Martin on June 6, and he doubtless made suggestions that the Beatles quickly put into perfecting. Interesting, too, that they chose this (and "Besame Mucho") number for their second radio appearance. Perhaps Martin encouraged them to think of the numbers as possibly being on their first Parlophone single.
Lord Reith wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:15 am They were a good bar band with an unusual stage presence and humour. But let's face it, their early songs were pretty average and the sound they made at Decca is underwhelming. They didn't sound any better on Here We Go either, but just had the benefit of kids clapping and screaming. If those first two BBC shows had been done in an empty studio and we had them in high quality, I think they would sound virtually identical to Decca. And therein lies the problem: you can't take your audience into the studio. You have to find a way of adapting your sound so that it still comes over as exciting in a sterile environment.
Yep... definitely. Martin must've recognized this because almost right from the get-go with him, wasn't there talk of recording them live at The Cavern?
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Post by WilliamShears »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:35 pm I dunno if it's an amazing revelation but it just seems to me that 1962 was vastly more eventful than we realise. Unfortunately it was all going on behind the scenes so there's no record of it. But geez, they were entirely re-invented both in image and sound in that one year.
Early 1962 is basically the last period where they were on their own to develop their sound before all the business pressure from every direction came along to try to turn them into pop stars. Its the sound of teenagers taking their band as far as they were capable of taking it.

For those who are into the White Stripes this is the kind of sound that I think Jack White tried to replicate- innocent, raw, imperfect. Definitely not something that would have been accepted by many record companies back then. If done right though it’s completely infectious.
Onkster II

Post by Onkster II »

Are there any extensive interviews with the Decca guys about this recording session? I’m sure that would answer a lot. I don’t recall ever having seen any, I have you?
BDJ

Post by BDJ »

I like the observations about the recording techniques.
A lot depends on what you mean by 'artist test' and 'recording test'.

In my understanding, there were 3 steps involved when new artists came in:

- an audition. To hear if the artists are good enough, and fit in the record company's genres. An audition was typically not recorded, since recording time is expensive and you don't want to waste money on artists that aren't interesting for the record company anyway.

- an artist test: following a successful audition, artists come into the studio to evaluate if they are good enough musicians for a record. If not, sessions musicians can be involved, or players replaced. Typically, a fair number is songs is played straight through, no attempt made to do overdub or repeat takes.

- a recording test: basically the first time an attempt is made to produce songs for a record. Typically, a small number of songs is attempted, but each song can be played in several Takes, overdubs are applied etc.

For Decca, I would say that the Audition was actually done by the Decca guy going to the Cavern and listen to the Beatles perform there. The 1962 January 1 session was the artist test. And the Beatles failed that test.

And EMI/George Martin? The Beatles first went to the EMI studios on June 6, 1962. The EMI engineers spent a lot of time fixing their amplifiers, placing microphones etc. And some (not all) of the songs were recorded. It was not a recording test, since George Martin did not plan to attend it. Furthermore, the Beatles did not have a recording contract with EMI on June 6th! This suggests that the June 6 session was not a recording, but an artist test. The result was mixed: John, Paul & George were deemed good enough musicians, but not Pete Best. The Beatles - with Ringo - returned on September 4 for a recording test, actually recording their first single, Love Me Do.

So did the Beatles do an audition for EMI? I would say the session between Brian Epstein and George Martin in March 1962 was their audition: Epstein played the Decca 'audition tape' to Martin, who decided to invite them to the studio.

If correct, this brief recap of History shows that both Decca and EMI followed the audition -> artist test -> recording test protocol, and they tried to run the auditions as cheaply as possible.