Bad / Dissapointing Bootlegs

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
dascottjr

Re: Bad / Dissapointing Bootlegs

Post by dascottjr »

Phil_Lip wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:16 pm FORETASTE!!!!

https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-Sgt ... e/15315329

So bad it's diabolical - got totally ripped off with this.
Great artwork, though, with some great (made-up) notes on how the boot came to be. I keep wishing someone would just angrily toss it out their window for me to catch, frame, and even (gasp!) listen to as I please. :)
moptophugger

Post by moptophugger »

ToddS wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:17 pm Worst Boot i bought was " Indian Rope Trick " Boot LP. Fakes + Krap . The only song on it i enjoyed was " I Love You Too " by the Fourmost . I never heard that song before . It said the lead vocal was by McCartney . I found out later it was released on G.+The Pacemakers Legal LP " Ferry Across The Mersey . I remember buying the Boot down in Anaheim not to far from Knotts Berry Farm back in the Late '70s . That shop got busted later . Owners were Andrea Waters aka Vicky Vynil and her assistant Jim . ( don't remember his last name ) I did buy good stuff from them too tho , so i can laugh about it now . Use to shop at Poo-Bahs Record store too at two different locations and a few shops in Frisco in '77+'78 . Their prices were always a lot higher than the Shops in S.Calif .
With Cheese And Onions as the lost Lennon demo :lol:
CooperCat

Post by CooperCat »

As much of a rip-off Indian road trick was, it was still quite an enjoyable collection to listen to.
Doug

Post by Doug »

MrMurphMcgee wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:02 pmMy third boot was silver lining.
That was a copy of "The Beatles vs. Don Ho," which introduced many of us (well, me at least) to The Residents' "Beyond The Valley of a Day In The Life"
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

When I was a schoolboy with five dollars a week pocket money I had to be real careful about what boots I bought. So when I got a lemon I would get really upset. Eventually I found somewhere that would let me listen to them first before buying, but before that I ended up with these turkeys:

- Kum Back. The second boot I ever bought. I had just seen Let It Be on tv and was desperate to get the un-Spectorized versions. But when I got it home it was mono, horrible quality, scratchy and with bad wow and flutter. I don't know if the original was this bad (this was an 80s repressing) but it made me extremely depressed and upset.

- December 63. I had recently bought "Johnny And The Moondogs Air Time" (with Sweden) and "Eight Arms To Hold You" (with Holloyood Bowl 64) and stupidly assumed all live bootlegs would be that quality. Boy was I wrong. I also instantly spotted the fake "live" tracks at the end which were just BBC radio tracks with screaming overdubbed. Bleah.

- 20 x 4. Not sure why I bought this. Maybe it was the cool cover. But the content was utter garbage, right down to the fake outtake of Every Little Thing.

- Youngblood. Having missed the Beatles At The Beeb radio special in early 82 I was desperately playing catchup trying to find boots with BBC songs. I saw this one listed in Hot Wacks and pre-ordered it, the first time I had ever done that. When it arrived it had fragments of different BBc versions to the ones I was expecting, and they were horrible quality. And to add insult to injury, Side Two consisted entirely of the terrible Liverpool Empire tape I had already acquired on December 63.

Yes, those were sometimes not the days! But it was still all incredibly exciting. I felt like a Beatles archaeologist, hunting down audio rarities that nobody else had even heard of. Which brings me to another point: how many of you also had post-release depression when Anthology came out in 1995? I enjoyed the new tracks, but I was very dejected about not having the old tracks to myself anymore. It seemed vulgar having people who'd never owned a Beatles record before listening to Leave My Kitten Alone. They belonged to us.
Last edited by Lord Reith on Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
mitchellmichael

Post by mitchellmichael »

Doug wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:36 pm
MrMurphMcgee wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:02 pmMy third boot was silver lining.
That was a copy of "The Beatles vs. Don Ho," which introduced many of us (well, me at least) to The Residents' "Beyond The Valley of a Day In The Life"
I’m a HUGE fan of The Residents!
Cheers
Mike
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

Youngblood and 20x4 were both huge disappointments.

Those damn annoying sound effects added to Off White were disappointing.
craigory1

Post by craigory1 »

"Rarer Than Rare" on White Knight was awful, though it's long been an acceptable source for the "Step Inside Love" demo, which still sounds pretty bad. "Twickenham Jams" would be ok if the sound wasnt so terrible.
dumbchops

Post by dumbchops »

Back in the mid-1980's, I used to buy cassette bootlegs at $5 apiece in the French Quarter of New Orleans. I scored a lot of good stuff like The Black Album, Kum Back (in fantastic quality), Strawberry Fields Forever, Silver Lining, 20x4, Xmas Album, etc. etc. and then on my last visit in 1986 I purchased a 90 minute cassette with File Under and Mach Shau!. The problem? The tape was recorded with Dolby C on which meant playing it back on any other deck besides the one that it was recorded on sounded like sh*te. It's not the $5 that mattered, I legitimately wanted to hear this material in normal quality very badly. Hey, did anybody here actually buy The Rumitape + More when it came out in the late 90's? That one was pretty dire...
My full name is Uncle Capt. "Skipper" Dumbchops and I seem to have misplaced my electric pretzel sharpener.
jpgrcat

Post by jpgrcat »

Somewhere, I should have the Residence Mashup..

Haven't yet found out..going thru'9-10 Terrabytes of FLAC's & WAVV's of many artists

My first boot, was in 1976..The Vancouver '64 Concert....

It was so bad, I luckily traded it...I think it was Kum Back...
Decent Quality & I love 'The Walk'...

Blue Clear Vinyl....

After that Period, I started buy stuff from Ticket To Ryde Ltd., in Lacey, Washington

Lots of stories from that time period
Huge Beatles Fan & collector Anything Beatles/Solo related,

which includes NEMS, Apple, Dark Horse, Ring'O, & MPL Labels

Beach Boys/Related, & The Byrds/CSNY/Related..& many other acts