Bad / Dissapointing Bootlegs

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Re: Bad / Dissapointing Bootlegs

Post by WilliamShears »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:11 am
mitchellmichael wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:03 am
Lord Reith wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:49 am I was just thinking... how cool would it be to make a youtube channel where people could show their old vinyl beatlegs and talk about them?
That would be the bees knees!
Eye candy for Beatleg nuts!

I'm always fascinated to hear people talk about their obsessions.
Interesting idea. I could setup a beatlegdb YouTube channel and anyone who wanted could send over reviews, finds or stories to consolidate them in one place. The ‘old thyme bootleg’ thread showed there was definitely some interest there.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:48 am CD beatlegs mean nothing to me, but the old vinyl boots are amazing. After i made that post about With Love From Us To You I got out the lp and even though I haven't played it since 1982, it still gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to hold it in my hands (and smell it!) The great thing is how resourceful the people who made the jackets were. They are not *quite* up to commercial standards but are a testament to the ingenuity of bootleggers who wanted to have a nice cover for their product.
I had that boot and had forgotten that it came with a poster, seen here courtesy of Discogs.

Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Nothing beats the poster that came with The Black Album though. What a beauty! For that to come with a boot only a few years after the demise of photocopied insert covers was ground breaking. And you got the text of the LIB book on the back!
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

Re: Indian Rope Trick: It wasn't so horrible that I didn't fix up a vinyl transfer in 2014. I mean, now I understand what a waste of time it was, but I did fix up the album in case anyone wanted to hear it at the right speed and in true mono, rather than out of phase like Jack the bear, with the pitch all over the map. I have a special kind of affinity for old vinyl bootlegs that were made before the true motherlode was unearthed. This is one of them.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
mitchellmichael

Post by mitchellmichael »

mojofilter wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:53 am Re: Indian Rope Trick: It wasn't so horrible that I didn't fix up a vinyl transfer in 2014. I mean, now I understand what a waste of time it was, but I did fix up the album in case anyone wanted to hear it at the right speed and in true mono, rather than out of phase like Jack the bear, with the pitch all over the map. I have a special kind of affinity for old vinyl bootlegs that were made before the true motherlode was unearthed. This is one of them.
OMG mojofilter, I’d love to hear your version!
Cheers
Mike
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

Here you go:

hxxps://we.tl/t-I5G2esDK1Y

Good for 7 days.
mitchellmichael

mojofilter wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:19 pm Here you go:

hxxps://we.tl/t-I5G2esDK1Y

Good for 7 days.
Psyched! I’ll snag it tomorrow! Thank you so much for this!
Cheers
Mike
CooperCat

Post by CooperCat »

The absolute worst boot I got was a cd by Pink Floyd called A Nice Pair Of Monos, which was the first two albums in mono. Problem? Sounded like It was recorded on an open air mic near the speakers. It was terrible!! I’ve heard open air mic BBC recordings that sounded better. This was the 1990’s. Got it from Revolver in NYC. Discussed it with them and basically never went there again and didn’t buy another boot for years and basically made the decision to wait for technology to catch up to my aspirations as a collector, which it did. It was the purchase that killed my desire to collect the physical objects and just stick to trading.
mitchellmichael

You definitely made Indian Rope Trick a better listen mojofilter! That must have driven you crazy with the FM (or AM) signal coming in and out and no doubt speed issues!
Cheers
Mike
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

mitchellmichael wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:34 pm You definitely made Indian Rope Trick a better listen mojofilter! That must have driven you crazy with the FM (or AM) signal coming in and out and no doubt speed issues!
Thank you! Yeah, it needed a bunch of TLC just to sound normal. I believe those radio recordings were on medium wave (the equivalent of AM in North America) received from far, far away. 5000 Hz was the top frequency in that format. Whistling and phasing galore. I'm happy that you liked it.