Bad / Dissapointing Bootlegs

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
beatlesfanfromsop

Re: Bad / Dissapointing Bootlegs

Post by beatlesfanfromsop »

It was either 1979 or 1980 when I was either 10 or 11 eleven years old,and I remember my mom
and I had gone into Al Vickers Record Shop which was located on Liberty Ave between 121 Street & 122 Street in Richmond Hill,NY which unfortunately does not exist anymore.
While we were there,we saw from Berkely Records a Beatles LP with a black cover with 14 tracks which had a front page Newspaper called Mersey Beat with the Beatles photo with a different drummer,
and I am almost certain we had no idea who the drummer was which as we know was Pete Best.
We knew that this was not an official release,and my nom bought it for me since she knew that the Beatles were my favorite group,
and she also was a Beatles fan.
We heard that LP,and for years we just thought it was most likely just early tracks recorded in the studio by The Beatles
with Pete best as their drummer at the time.
I remember then buying Live at the BBC cd in either 1994 or 1995 thinking that I had never heard any of those live tracks before,and once I heard the CD,I then realized that bootleg LP were 14 live tracks from Live at BBC.
It turned out to be a little disappointing that thinking they were not 14 early studio tracks recorded with Pete Best,
but in another way I got to hear 14 Live at the BBC tracks 15 or 16 years before the live at the BBC CD had been released.
I still have that bootleg LP,but unfortunately it's not in good condition.
Mike
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I bought the 13 volume vinyl "The Beatles Story" (which also came with a t-shirt/sweat shirt) and was very let down. I had missed the first six episodes on the radio and so was excited to find the rest. It cost a fortune! And when I got it home it was MONO and DISTORTED. I may actually have cried. Money was tight then and I had begged and borrowed to buy it. Boy, that was a tough lesson. Buyer beware.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

I bought 'Rabbi Saul' around 1987. It was the cover that 1st caught my attention cos it's pretty funny. I remember looking at the track listing at the record fair and I thought it was going to contain unheard outtakes from 'Rubber Soul'. I got it home and, as I remember, it just had crappy outfakes & stuff I already had! I gave it to a friend who wanted it for the cover! That was the last time I let a cover influence me to hand over my cash.
https://music.metason.net/artistinfo?na ... bbi%20Saul
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
moptophugger

Post by moptophugger »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:05 pm I bought 'Rabbi Saul' around 1987. It was the cover that 1st caught my attention cos it's pretty funny. I remember looking at the track listing at the record fair and I thought it was going to contain unheard outtakes from 'Rubber Soul'. I got it home and, as I remember, it just had crappy outfakes & stuff I already had! I gave it to a friend who wanted it for the cover! That was the last time I let a cover influence me to hand over my cash.
https://music.metason.net/artistinfo?na ... bbi%20Saul
I had that one once but the tracklisting was full of wannabe Weird Al songs. Another bad boot to me
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

I guess that is this one then:
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Rabbi-S ... se/3829833

Same cover, different content.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I bought "1967" for its alternate Pepper cover. It only had one song - the A Day In The Life acetate - I didn't have already, so I was disapointed and sold it. I wish now I had kept it because the cover was a great "double take" moment for people. I remember when i was selling it I had a bunch of other boots in the same batch I was selling and when the dealer came to 1967 he rolled his eyes and said "I'll give you a buck for it!" I had to point out that it actually wasn't an old copy of Sgt Pepper. He was really surprised.

1967_large.jpg
1967_large.jpg (236.22 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
mitchellmichael

Post by mitchellmichael »

I like 1967 and most of the other Sacor releases. Their unpredictable and fun! Though I’m probably the only one that feels that way, LOL. I like horrid aounding bootlegs. I think they’re charming.
Cheers
Mike
TheLazenby

Post by TheLazenby »

beatlesfanfromsop wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:13 pm It was either 1979 or 1980 when I was either 10 or 11 eleven years old,and I remember my mom
and I had gone into Al Vickers Record Shop which was located on Liberty Ave between 121 Street & 122 Street in Richmond Hill,NY which unfortunately does not exist anymore.
While we were there,we saw from Berkely Records a Beatles LP with a black cover with 14 tracks which had a front page Newspaper called Mersey Beat with the Beatles photo with a different drummer,
and I am almost certain we had no idea who the drummer was which as we know was Pete Best.
We knew that this was not an official release,and my nom bought it for me since she knew that the Beatles were my favorite group,
We heard that LP,and for years we just thought it was most likely just early tracks recorded in the studio by The Beatles
I remember then buying Live at the BBC cd in either 1994 or 1995 thinking that I had never heard any of those live tracks before,and once I heard the CD,I then realized that bootleg LP were 14 live tracks from Live at BBC.
It turned out to be a little disappointing that thinking they were not 14 early studio tracks recorded with Pete Best,
but in another way I got to hear 14 Live at the BBC tracks 15 or 16 years before the live at the BBC CD had been released.
Mike
John Lennon fell for that, too.

He thought that album was actually the Decca Audition as it claimed (having forgot what they'd played).
beatlesfanfromsop

Post by beatlesfanfromsop »

TheLazenby wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:59 pm
beatlesfanfromsop wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:13 pm It was either 1979 or 1980 when I was either 10 or 11 eleven years old,and I remember my mom
Mike
John Lennon fell for that, too.

He thought that album was actually the Decca Audition as it claimed (having forgot what they'd played).
Thanks for responding.
I remember reading that either in a magazine or somewhere on the web.
Mike
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

I'm not sure any Beatles boot can be a worse investment than The Stooges' so-called "Raw Mixes" :lol: