Bad / Dissapointing Bootlegs

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
moptophugger

Bad / Dissapointing Bootlegs

Post by moptophugger »

We have all been there. You get a download / you buy a boot you wanted in a long time. You excitedly play it but you are dissapointed. The sound is crap, your dusty vinyls sound better than this. It full of outfakes and songs clearly not by the Beatles. The rarities on it you heard before. Some tracks are the official versions. Let's make a thread discussing these!

Note: There are opinions out there, my least favourites could be your most favourites.

I can't remember the title but I found this boot with supposed Outtakes of Please Please Me and an extended version of Revolution 9. I was extremely dissapointed when the outtakes are ones I heard before and AI Instrumentals (Spleeter, an early and rubbish sounding AI Instrumental splitter befor X-minus Pro) and the extended version was an extremely long Outfake.
MrMurphMcgee

Re: Bad / Dissapointing Bootlegs

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

I remember buying my first boot, the Black Album, and being massively disappointed. I was expecting a more finished product and it cost every penny I had.
Last edited by MrMurphMcgee on Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug

Post by Doug »

MrMurphMcgee wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:01 pm I remember buying my first boot, the Black Album, and being massively disappointed. I 2as e petting a more finished product and it cost every penny I had.
It took a while, but I finally figured out your second sentence there :D .

The Black Album was one of the more "finished" products out there. A lovely embossed cover, alternate "White Album" poster and three discs - two of which repurposed one of the best Beatles bootlegs out there (Sweet Apple Trax), with a third of more recent "Get Back" sessions material that had surfaced.
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

At a record show, I bought something on CD called "Private Psychedelic Reel 1966-1968", excited to hear outtakes or alternates of songs that that didn't have any before. As it turns out, it was some goober getting the OOPS effect from released versions by twisting bare wires coming out of the phono cartridge. Because at one point, you heard the wires unravel, and he quickly twisted them back together. Absolute waste of money. I took it back to the dealer and he gave me something else in exchange.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
maccafan2021

Post by maccafan2021 »

I completely understand what you are saying, my friend. But I am obliged to report here that this continues to happen to this day.

I can't stand to see some "new" boots - collector's edition's and so many others that do, and there are people who pay for it, where you'll listen and have a huge feeling of "De Ja Vu" or nothing new, or more of the same.

Not that they're bad, but they're appeals to more of the same.

For those who have nothing and are starting to collect, it goes well; but for those who already know or know where to find the recordings, there is the feeling of Bad - Dissapointing Bootlegs!
moptophugger

Post by moptophugger »

mojofilter wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:08 pm At a record show, I bought something on CD called "Private Psychedelic Reel 1966-1968", excited to hear outtakes or alternates of songs that that didn't have any before. As it turns out, it was some goober getting the OOPS effect from released versions by twisting bare wires coming out of the phono cartridge. Because at one point, you heard the wires unravel, and he quickly twisted them back together. Absolute waste of money. I took it back to the dealer and he gave me something else in exchange.
https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-Pri ... se/5742801

The reviews are bad on this. 1 Star. Hilarious that someone thought that it be worth the time just twisting a knob and saying its a private reel!
moptophugger

Post by moptophugger »

http://www.beatleg.info/music/docs/beat ... shback.htm

Here is their discography. Featuring outfakes galore, using their Oops machine. What stinkers.
Phil_Lip

Post by Phil_Lip »

FORETASTE!!!!

https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-Sgt ... e/15315329

So bad it's diabolical - got totally ripped off with this.
Most of my links are to OneDrive. However, OneDrive does impose a download limit and when this is reached displays a message that the files are deleted or have expired. Leave it a while and try again later.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

Doug wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:33 pm
MrMurphMcgee wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:01 pm I remember buying my first boot, the Black Album, and being massively disappointed. I 2as e petting a more finished product and it cost every penny I had.
It took a while, but I finally figured out your second sentence there :D .

The Black Album was one of the more "finished" products out there. A lovely embossed cover, alternate "White Album" poster and three discs - two of which repurposed one of the best Beatles bootlegs out there (Sweet Apple Trax), with a third of more recent "Get Back" sessions material that had surfaced.
I need to stop trying to use my bifocals and instead use my much stronger readers.

The packaging was fantastic for sure. Being my first bootleg, I expected finished recordings. It wasn’t till a bit later, and books such as You Can't Do That that I had context and understood what the recordings were. I'd love to still have my copy and hope to get one someday just to own it again. It was the one that started it all. My second was my avatar. My third boot was silver lining. Then things like File Under turned up and I was off and rolling.

Silver Lining was one that should have disappointed but it was so weird I liked it.
ToddS

Post by ToddS »

Worst Boot i bought was " Indian Rope Trick " Boot LP. Fakes + Krap . The only song on it i enjoyed was " I Love You Too " by the Fourmost . I never heard that song before . It said the lead vocal was by McCartney . I found out later it was released on G.+The Pacemakers Legal LP " Ferry Across The Mersey . I remember buying the Boot down in Anaheim not to far from Knotts Berry Farm back in the Late '70s . That shop got busted later . Owners were Andrea Waters aka Vicky Vynil and her assistant Jim . ( don't remember his last name ) I did buy good stuff from them too tho , so i can laugh about it now . Use to shop at Poo-Bahs Record store too at two different locations and a few shops in Frisco in '77+'78 . Their prices were always a lot higher than the Shops in S.Calif .