Noise reduction on Ebbetts EP set

For topics that don't quite fit anywhere else...
Lord Reith

Noise reduction on Ebbetts EP set

Post by Lord Reith »

While going through the various versions of Beatles singles and albums, I was rather taken aback to find heavy noise reduction used on the Ebbetts EP collection. Have a listen to the intro of Blue Jay Way:

https://tinyurl.com/4aye4j4m

Mind you, this is in comparison to the 2009 mono cd and all the mono remasters have noise reduction too, but that's the only other mono version I have.

The official EP cd collection also has nr, so the question is, where does one get a clean needle drop of the mono ep?

I was also disappointed to find a fair bit of noise reduction on the two "bonus" stereo mixes of Help and Rubber Soul in the mono box. So I've changed my preferences now for the best sources for the catalogue:

STEREO
=======
First four: 2009 (although they don't sound as good as the original records)
Help & Rubber Soul & Revolver : Disque americ 1990
Pepper thru YS: 1987 releases
White Album: Cinram (Canada) or 30th Anniversary audio (same audio as 87 but cue markers more accurate)
Let It Be: 1987
Abbey Road: 1983 Black Triangle with de-emphasis
Past Masters: 1988

MONO
=====

Ebbetts Japanese red wax mono lps or the mono vinyl re-releases 2014
Single releases from 1989 (no nr on these at all)
Long Tall Sally EP, Bad Boy, Across the Universe: Mono Masters
They shall mount up with wings, as eagles.
Antonio218

Re: Noise reduction on Ebbetts EP set

Post by Antonio218 »

Thanks Lord. This is fantastic
Suzy Parlourphone

Post by Suzy Parlourphone »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:19 am While going through the various versions of Beatles singles and albums, I was rather taken aback to find heavy noise reduction used on the Ebbetts EP collection. Have a listen to the intro of Blue Jay Way:

https://tinyurl.com/4aye4j4m

Mind you, this is in comparison to the 2009 mono cd and all the mono remasters have noise reduction too, but that's the only other mono version I have.

The official EP cd collection also has nr, so the question is, where does one get a clean needle drop of the mono ep?
Maybe Pbthal's version? He has done all of the EPs.
magoocus

Post by magoocus »

Millenium Remasters also did the EP's.
Beatles4Ever

Post by Beatles4Ever »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:19 am where does one get a clean needle drop of the mono ep?
Would a hi-res needledrop version of The Beatles in Mono (2014) box set help you?
That particular box is the best I've heard the mono versions sound in my opinion.

Let me know....I have the box set by two different needledroppers in hi-res 24/96.

Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Thanks guys.
They shall mount up with wings, as eagles.
georgefromhenley

Post by georgefromhenley »

You really prefer the 1987 cd releases? I think i should get back to Pepper an AB myself.
The Milky Bar Kid

Post by The Milky Bar Kid »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:19 am While going through the various versions of Beatles singles and albums, I was rather taken aback to find heavy noise reduction used on the Ebbetts EP collection.
Is it as bad as the NR used on "Unsurpassed Broadcasts"? You'd have a good idea what NR was used on that, wouldn't you? What NR did Dr. Ebbetts use, do you think?