Most surprising Beatles song you've encountered in public

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
MarkRJones1970

Re: Most surprising Beatles song you've encountered in public

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Just before Anthology came out, but a tentative track list had been printed in the press, I made a compilation of the tracks I already had on bootleg and played it for a few weeks before the release date in the record shop I worked in at the time. We didn't get ANY samplers of any tracks before the official release date (I know there were samplers made by Apple but I never saw one until after the albums had been released) so it was bizarre being allowed to play bootleg tracks in a real record shop at the time" :)

You should have seen some of the customers faces, people were coming up and asking "Is this the new Beatles album?". HMV and Virgin weren't playing any tracks before it came out but this independant was.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:52 am Just before Anthology came out, but a tentative track list had been printed in the press, I made a compilation of the tracks I already had on bootleg and played it for a few weeks before the release date in the record shop I worked in at the time. We didn't get ANY samplers of any tracks before the official release date (I know there were samplers made by Apple but I never saw one until after the albums had been released) so it was bizarre being allowed to play bootleg tracks in a real record shop at the time" :)

You should have seen some of the customers faces, people were coming up and asking "Is this the new Beatles album?". HMV and Virgin weren't playing any tracks before it came out but this independant was.
I love this! Reminds me of the old days when the fabs were as big as ever despite having been split up for 20 years!

It's all a bit sad these days. What did "On Air" sell in the US? 50,000 copies. And that was a decade ago. Seems the only three songs people know now are Here Comes The Sun, Let It Be and Hey Jude.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Choking Smoker

Post by Choking Smoker »

One that sticks in my mind is being at the last ever Stonehenge Free festival in 1984. There were 10's of thousands of people there and the weather was perfect. Somebody had a radio on and out blasted "I Need You". It immediately struck me because it isn't one that gets played that often on the radio and because we were on Salisbury Plain, the very place The Beatles had recorded their video for that same song 19 years earlier.
Fun 4 None

Post by Fun 4 None »

"All Those Years Ago" at the family restaurant Chili's was rather odd to hear.
billylentz

Post by billylentz »

Once I was in the supermarket and "Yesterday" began on the store speakers. I instinctively negan humming to it. As I walked by the aisles, several people were sort of doing the same... Gently singing, whistling, moving their bodies to Paul´s strumming or capturing the song song somehow, like everyone had rehearsed it or agreed to it before. It was not a surprising song to encounter in public, but it was such a nice moment that got me off guard.

Just a few days ago, I had not a very similar moment, but also nice, when I was walking by the street and hear the distinctive sound of a very loud song being played inside a car. As I approached the corner, I noticed it came from the car waiting to cross the intersection and recognized the song: it was "Fuh you"! I was so surprised, because it was not a song we expect to encounter like that. I thought I would give a thumps up to the lady who was driving the car, but then she drove off, leaving just an echo behind.