so... Rubber Soul?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Fast lucky

Re: so... Rubber Soul?

Post by Fast lucky »

I remember that it was a German / Austrian collector who was selling the acetate on Ebay. Maybe he got it himself from George's family ...

I found the selling price not unreasonable for an exclusive recording and wondered why Apple did not buy it ... Wait and see ! Fingers crossed.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

Has anyone shared this little tidbit from the new Mojo article on Macca's new photos book?

“ Along with Giles Martin revealing to MOJO that, ahead of last year’s Revolver redux, a paired revisiting of Help! and Rubber Soul was in the planning stages, there is also the possibility of a Band On The Run 50th anniversary box set.”
Tex

Post by Tex »

MrMurphMcgee wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:23 pm Has anyone shared this little tidbit from the new Mojo article on Macca's new photos book?

“ Along with Giles Martin revealing to MOJO that, ahead of last year’s Revolver redux, a paired revisiting of Help! and Rubber Soul was in the planning stages, there is also the possibility of a Band On The Run 50th anniversary box set.”
A Giles Martin remix of "Band On The Run"??

Good God, that's gonna go so wrong.

I guarantee Giles has never even heard the album.
Fast lucky

Post by Fast lucky »

A paired release for Help ! / Rubber Soul ? :( Might sound like the extra contents will be low in quantity then ...

Regarding BOTR, the Deluxe sets have much changed over time. Thye now include material which was not deemed fit when they started the series. Since Band On The Run was the first one to be released, it would be really nice to have a new set - super deluxe ? - with demos, alternates but there is for sure no need for a Giles Martin remix.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

I don’t think the quote is intended to imply that Giles is remixing BOTR.

skynet

Post by skynet »

Fast lucky wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:10 am A paired release for Help ! / Rubber Soul ? :( Might sound like the extra contents will be low in quantity then ...

Regarding BOTR, the Deluxe sets have much changed over time. Thye now include material which was not deemed fit when they started the series. Since Band On The Run was the first one to be released, it would be really nice to have a new set - super deluxe ? - with demos, alternates but there is for sure no need for a Giles Martin remix.
Makes sense, giving the fact that so little session material exist for Rubber Soul and for Help, besides takes on the main title, i think there is more outtake material in Help! rather than Rubber Soul.

If they pair both, that will open the window to have the other albums paired as well evenly:

- A Hard Day's Night/Beatles For Sale
- Please, Please Me/With The Beatles

That will get them out of the way of SDE rather sooner than later
robbmacc

Post by robbmacc »

Pairing the albums? Blecccch!
That saddens me.
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

I like the idea of pairing the remaining 6 albums. It would make most sense to start with Please Please Me / With The Beatles as a 60th anniversary SDE. Then the 1964 SDE in 2024 and the 1965 pairing in 2025.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

I think there's more money to be reaped from the project (or stripped from surviving fans) without the paring.

Paring the albums together would be a cop-out. It would also, I suppose, illuminate the lack of interest in The Beatles camp to revisit any of this stuff any further by limiting deep dives into studio session tapes & demos to the material already available as bootlegs.

Bummer. Business trumps art.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

If they are "paired" then it just means they will release two at once. They're not gonna combine two Beatles albums into one - how would that work? The cover art would make no sense. The book would be a mess. To accomodate the monos it'd have to be at least a four-disc set, plus two "EP"s, plus at least two discs of outtakes... which makes it an 8 disc set. Since they price the eps as if they were full albums, you can imagine the price tag of an 8 disc set. They could discount it, but why do that when they can easily release two full price sets in the knowledge they'll both sell? No business person would greenlight that.

No, this will never happen. We might get two SDEs at once, but given the work that goes into them it seems highly likely it's just gonna be Rubber Soul.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene