so... Rubber Soul?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
skynet

so... Rubber Soul?

Post by skynet »

What do you think? are we so used to receive a new SDE each year that we are all assuming that Rubber Soul announcement is imminent? really limited and scattered as Revolver?
dascottjr

Re: so... Rubber Soul?

Post by dascottjr »

"Rubber Soul" is arguably one of their all-time best albums (and my favorite), with certainly enough outtakes (or tracks that can be stripped down) for a good box set. It's also the most in need of a good official remix (or re-balancing, rather).
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

I think they might do Rubber Soul next, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the last. I think the market would diminish if they started getting into Help! and Beatles For Sale, especially with the cover versions they contain.

Elsewhere I have heard speculation that they might do year box sets - 1963, 1964, 1965.

Time will tell.
quigatolah

Post by quigatolah »

Bear in mind these sets tend to come in the fall, before the holiday shopping season kicks in.

Would be nice to get the treats closer together,
but (for you old timers out there), can you remember a single year back in the day
when we got as many completely new studio outtakes as we get in just 1 SDE?
quigatolah

Post by quigatolah »

Mr Bump wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:18 pm
Elsewhere I have heard speculation that they might do year box sets - 1963, 1964, 1965.

I think I would enjoy them the most that way, but.......

We'd probably end up with fewer outtakes per album
It would break from the successful present formula (corporations hate that)
They don't do well with larger bodies of work: Let it Be and Live (8 days a week) seem like they were assembled by dis-interested relatives who found the recordings in the attic and wondered if they could make any mony off of them.
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

I think with the 1963,4,5 albums (apart from Rubber Sould, there aren't too many worthwhile outtakes to be had. The full day's Please Please Me session would be amazing, but I suspect they'd end up with some BBC radio shows and/or live recordings to fill them out. Which could of course be great, but would break with the established format of the sets.

Incidentally there was no box set for Magical Mystery Tour/Yellow Submarine. A mini-SDE for those would be nice too.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

My prediction is Rubber Soul this year, then working backwards in the subsequent years through Help, BFS and AHDN. PPM and WTB they may not do.

However there are not many outtakes for 1965 that have not already been on Anthology. In 1965 they generally recorded one or two instrumental takes, then overdubbed the vocals, wiping each attempt as they went. So I think for RS and help the outtakes will be one not two discs... unless they shorten the volumes even further to 25 minutes or so. Also, there are not enough 1963 outtakes for more than one short disc for both PPM and WTB.

AHDN and BFS howver should have plenty of outtakes, as they were still doing live vocal takes at that point.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
skynet

Post by skynet »

Mr Bump wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:54 pm I think with the 1963,4,5 albums (apart from Rubber Soul, there aren't too many worthwhile outtakes to be had. The full day's Please Please Me session would be amazing, but I suspect they'd end up with some BBC radio shows and/or live recordings to fill them out. Which could of course be great, but would break with the established format of the sets.

Incidentally there was no box set for Magical Mystery Tour/Yellow Submarine. A mini-SDE for those would be nice too.
but for MMT and YS mostly the sessions on what's on those compilations have already received the "SDE" treatment, at least not in name but in the form of outtakes as part of Anthology, Sgt Pepper, WA and Revolver, is it not? (what is left is Flying, Blue Jay Way, All you need is Love and hey Bulldog!, mainly, is it not? - and AYNISL is repeated on both, so marginally 3 songs, you think is worth an SDE specifically for those albums?)
Tex

Post by Tex »

George said Anthology scraped the bottom of the barrel. Clearly they found more barrels after that. :lol:
beatlesfanfromsop

Post by beatlesfanfromsop »

I think Rubber Soul SDE would be a good choice,and hopefully there is enough demos and takes to make that happen.
Since Rubber Soul was released in Stereo and Mono,a new UK Stereo Mix and the original UK Mono Mix
will take up two CDS.
I don't know exactly how many U.S. Stereo & U.S. Mono mixes are different than the UK Stereo & UK Mono mixes,
and I also do not know if Drive My Car,Nowhere Man,What Goes On and If I Needed Someone
are different mixes on Yesterday And Today US Stereo/Mono LPS.
If there is enough of what I just mentioned,then I think it's possible it can fill up at least one CD,
and that is if Giles Martin wants to do that.

I think MMT SDE would be another good possibility since I think there enough demos and takes to use,
and maybe enough to fill up at least 2 CDS.
I think other possibilities that can be used are the original UK Stereo & UK Mono EPS,
and I have no idea if this is true,I read years ago that these Stereo & Mono mixes are different than any other MMT release.
The original German LP Stereo
Mix which I read is considered by a lot of Beatles fans to be the best Stereo Mix,and maybe that can be used
for a new MMT Stereo Mix.
I don't know exactly how many U.S. Stereo & U.S. Mono mixes are different than the UK EP stereo & UK EP Mono mixes
from MMT,but I would think it's quite a few,and especially if any of Side 2 of the MMT U.S. Stereo & U.S. Mono tracks
are also included.
Is the 1987 UK CD a different Stereo mix?
If it is,maybe that can used as well.

Mike