so... Rubber Soul?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Lord Reith

Re: so... Rubber Soul?

Post by Lord Reith »

I don't think there'll be a Yellow Sub SDE but I'll be surprised if there is no MMT SDE. It would cover some of the tracks from YS anyway (well, a whole two songs...) But where this release fits into their long term plans we can only guess.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

My thinking is that there will be n MMT SDE someday. They're re-scan a 4K copy and sell it back to everyone again but this time along with some outtakes. Packaging up the films into SDEs could be a way to fill out the lack of outtakes for some sets.
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

I doubt they feel any need to include video material, moreso their films, in SDEs. On another hand, if they combine MMT and YS within one SDE, it kills two birds with one stone.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

The best offering for the Yellow Submarine EP would be to create an SDE package which includes the movie. There is so little else to offer for this album. Maybe some storyboards. A commentary track with the voice actors and animators describing the "attitudinal enhancements" that provided ongoing inspiration during the project. A Jackie Chan styled blooper reel during the credits to show the stunts that went awry during the making of the film.

The music is sparse and mostly previously discarded stuff (which is still greater than most bands are capable of.) The score from side 2 can perhaps be embellished with some mash-ups and reimagining as interpreted by The Blue Man Group.

And lastly, a 3D upgrade to be shown in IMAX theatres in conjunction with the SDE release.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

As for MMT....

Personally, I love this album. It has a batch of great tunes, dripping with the psychedelic residue of Sgt Pepper. The one thing that brings it down, IMO, is the movie/TV Special. I watched it again a few months ago. Aside from the music video pieces, it is awful. Just awful. Time has not, in my mind, elevated this piece anywhere near AHDN or even Help! (which also suffers somewhat from over-indulgence.) MMT, if anything is dated psychedelibabble. When I watched it this most recent sitting, it was with the Paul McCartney commentary track. That, at least made it a little more enjoyable. Keeping in mind that Paul has continually rewritten Beatles history in his favor....which he can do in the absence of John and George.

For a MMT SDE, I'd probably have to (gulp) include the movie, too. With the Jackie Chan blooper reel, etc.
zappaf78

Post by zappaf78 »

I just hope they do release for all albums, including Yellow Submarine/Magical Mystery Tour. Just having anything new or upgraded audio is sure better than just having nothing.
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

I try to look at past SDE releases, read Giles interviews, and consider what bootleg releases are already out, and consider the logic decision-making process to determine what's coming up next.

I PERSONALLY - wish they would just release whatever is in the vault on those EMITapes from beginning to end...all takes, all tracks, unedited, not edited, "cleaned up", or made into surround mixes, and give everyone the historic journey into the creation of these great recordings. However, I know the economic reasoning and investment required to doing this would have to be justified by folks that were not hired as Beatles fans, but EMI employees that consider much more than we know and understand.

Emitapes are missing, have been erased, and takes may no longer exist to provide a smooth archive which might make 'management' weary releasing them 'as is'. For each album's session, whatever does exist - that material would compile much listening time and packaging that would just not be seen as worth the investment to release and expect a substantial return.

What should they do?

You see how they started with Sgt Pepper and why...much material in the vaults as takes and tracks, overdubs, etc, not a lot bootlegged and much available to compile into a package...and so on. But going backwards...sorry folks, I think they are concerned about a lot of things we may not realize not being privy to ALL of the material THEY consider 'worthy' of release.

I really hope we continue getting deluxe boxes - however we have to 'get real' and understand how much more limited source material will become. I try my best to enjoy what they choose and we may have to in the future.

Just my opinion of course -

steve
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Every fan would love to see the complete sessions made available to straem or download that's for sure. But I think they've twigged now that they can put just a few interesting outtakes in a box set and we'll all plonk down our cash. So there's bugger all chance now we'll ever see the complete sessions. They know they've got us.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

The officially released alternates and outtakes are all guaranteed must-haves. The frustrating part is the amount of hacking and resplicing, creating new versions from the outtakes and alternates. That, to me, is an unforgivable form of vandalism.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Giles' laptop: Find it...