so... Rubber Soul?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
skynet

Re: so... Rubber Soul?

Post by skynet »

Engonoceras wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:19 pm George said Anthology scraped the bottom of the barrel. Clearly they found more barrels after that. :lol:
where is the "like" button for this comment?? ;) :lol:
zappaf78

Post by zappaf78 »

I do believe that Rubber Soul Deluxe would be released. There was rumors that Revolver and Rubber Soul was supposed to be combined to one box set. Now we have to guess what could be included in the Rubber Soul deluxe box set? Did Paul record more acoustic demos at the studio like "We Can Work It Out"? They would use the complete 12-Bar Original take though I do hope they include the rehearsal. I do hope we have take 3 of Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) since it is a complete (un-bootlegged) take. Day Tripper might have just the backing track of take 3, Who knows if we will get If I Needed Someone since only 1 take was recorded. I won't mind a pre-chat with the raw take. same goes with take 2 of We Can Work It Out. I hope the original Nowhere Man with a different vocal intro will be included. The slightly faster remake of I'm Looking Through You should be included. I am a bit worried that there are a few songs that only had the one take. We shall see what they would include. Maybe some undocumented mixes like they did on the Revolver box set?
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

skynet wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:06 pm
Mr Bump wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:54 pm Incidentally there was no box set for Magical Mystery Tour/Yellow Submarine. A mini-SDE for those would be nice too.
but for MMT and YS mostly the sessions on what's on those compilations have already received the "SDE" treatment, at least not in name but in the form of outtakes as part of Anthology, Sgt Pepper, WA and Revolver, is it not? (what is left is Flying, Blue Jay Way, All you need is Love and hey Bulldog!, mainly, is it not? - and AYNISL is repeated on both, so marginally 3 songs, you think is worth an SDE specifically for those albums?)
You're right. Songs like Penny Lane and SFF are covered already, hence why I think it would be a mini-set if they did it. There are no doubt alternative alternative takes of songs like Fool On The Hill, and I think they could put something together.

The main reason I think this needs doing is to get Giles's remixes across the catalogue. They tended to mop up the relevant singles and remix them when they did the albums, but MMT and YS are largely overlooked.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

In a way I am not that psyched about a Rubber soul release, because there's not likely to be a lot of new stuff. I think there's another vocal version of I'm Looking Through You we've not heard, but i can't think of much else. We might get the complete 12 Bar original but that's no big deal, and maybe a couple of rhythm tracks but that's not going to be very exciting either. Norwegian Wood take 3 they will almost certainly not include simply because fans want it so badly (think Carnival Of Light, Revolution 1, Helter Skelter, Anything etc) and they seem to be deliberately holding these sort of things back. I think we might get some accapella versions too like the Pet Sounds box set. Very possibly they might decide to fill up the bulk of the outtakes disc with the Think For Yourself comedy tape, but we've already heard that too. So from a collector's point of view, this set and the next (Help I assume) are going to be less satisfying.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
HannibalTwin8

Post by HannibalTwin8 »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:05 pm In a way I am not that psyched about a Rubber soul release, because there's not likely to be a lot of new stuff. I think there's another vocal version of I'm Looking Through You we've not heard, but i can't think of much else. We might get the complete 12 Bar original but that's no big deal, and maybe a couple of rhythm tracks but that's not going to be very exciting either. Norwegian Wood take 3 they will almost certainly not include simply because fans want it so badly (think Carnival Of Light, Revolution 1, Helter Skelter, Anything etc) and they seem to be deliberately holding these sort of things back. I think we might get some accapella versions too like the Pet Sounds box set. Very possibly they might decide to fill up the bulk of the outtakes disc with the Think For Yourself comedy tape, but we've already heard that too. So from a collector's point of view, this set and the next (Help I assume) are going to be less satisfying.
Speaking of Pet Sounds, one thing they could do is include the U.S. version of Rubber Soul since that album (a comp) was the album that inspired Brian Wilson in the making of Pet Sounds. They could expand that version with outtakes. It would be weird if they did that, but who knows....
skynet

Post by skynet »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:05 pm In a way I am not that psyched about a Rubber soul release, because there's not likely to be a lot of new stuff. I think there's another vocal version of I'm Looking Through You we've not heard, but i can't think of much else. We might get the complete 12 Bar original but that's no big deal, and maybe a couple of rhythm tracks but that's not going to be very exciting either. Norwegian Wood take 3 they will almost certainly not include simply because fans want it so badly (think Carnival Of Light, Revolution 1, Helter Skelter, Anything etc) and they seem to be deliberately holding these sort of things back. I think we might get some accapella versions too like the Pet Sounds box set. Very possibly they might decide to fill up the bulk of the outtakes disc with the Think For Yourself comedy tape, but we've already heard that too. So from a collector's point of view, this set and the next (Help I assume) are going to be less satisfying.
Ok, based on your comments (which i am agree, for some reason - 100 anniversary someone?, Apple is holding back what is left of major interest in the vault), so for Rubber Soul what is left, let's see:

- Run For Your Life - From Oct 12 1965 recording session , take 5 - Only this take was completed so, maybe they present the full 5 attempts? - If history serves for something, Giles may not even consider it given what has happened with Good day Sunshine for Revolver
- Norwegian Wood - take 3 as mentioned, from the session of Oct 21st
- Drive My Car - Only 1 full take, which ended on the LP (Take 4), with several overdubs, but who knows, maybe they can present the raw take (again going by the Good day Sunshine logic, Giles may not want to use it :/
- Day tripper - From Oct 16th - Maybe as well as mentioned, they can present the "Real" take 3 without the vocal track?
- If i Needed Someone - They recorded the basic backing track as well on Oct. 16th and next day the overdubs, maybe present the backing track of this session?
- In My Life - From Oct 18th the same day of the overdubs for If I needed Someone, only 3 Takes, perhaps they can present the first 2 takes? or take 3 with the alternate piano middle eight?
- We can Work it out - From Oct 20th, maybe they can present us with the real take 2 of this session, Only 2 complete takes from the session (i won't think they will make the demo available since John erase it the tape, leaving only the fragment we all know, of for some miracle Paul made a copy?)
- Nowhere Man - from October 21st - we know (as per Lewishon) that there are rehearsals and 2 full takes made with an early idea to introduce the song with a 3 part Harmony from John , Paul and George that later was discarded, so Giles may consider this (yeah, right), on Oct 22nd they re-made it making 4 takes of the backing track we all know, and later the overdubs over take 4, which was deemed best
- Im Looking through you - from Oct 24th but we already have this version in Anthology, although that mix is a shame as mix goes, maybe a decent mix this time?
- Michelle - The session from Nov 3rd
- What goes on - Only 1 take on Nov 4th which became the master, the same session that saw 12 bar original being born, so perhaps they can include the What Goes on demo and the full 3 take tape, sans the rehearsal, of 12 bar original?
- Im looking through you - Session from Nov 6th, the "fast and frantic" version (as per Lewhison)
- Think for yourself - Take 1 from Nov 8th session and some of the "comedic" tape we all know? (let's face it, Apple will never let the entire tape of this session go out)
- The Word - 3 Takes from November 10th
- Wait - On Nov 11th we know they pulled out Wait from the tape library as it was first attempted at "Help" sessions, and did some overdubs so, perhaps they can present the raw tape of this?
- You Won't See Me - made in 2 takes on the same Nov 11th, not sure if any of this is worth releasing (Again using the Good day Sunshine logic)
- Girl - Made in 2 takes as well the same date as the previous 3, same comment as You Won't See me

So, going on what maybe available:

CD1 - The Stereo Remix
CD2 - The Mono Album
CD3 - Sessions and outtakes (but if they want to stretch it out, as we know is Giles and Apple practice, they will stretch out the material to fit on 1 CD/2LP configuration maybe
CD4 - A needless, lousy EP/single (Day Tripper / We Can Work it out?) remix
A big coffee table book with some lousy introduction by an unknown rapper or some "artist" of that sort (hey imagine that they are intelligent enough to present us with a cleaned up copy of the Dec Tour Concert that is around in full as part of the box set, jajajajaja yeah, right)

What do you think?
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

They've probably got more than we know, but whether there would be enough for two discs of sessions, I'm not sure. They could go down the route of including mix variations or creating new de-mixes (maybe Rubber Soul Stripped Down!) and maybe pull in the odd live track. No doubt they already have a good idea of where they are at.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

One possibility is having single tracked vocal mixes. Since we've only had post-ADT albums so far, that has not been an option till now.
Engonoceras wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:19 pm George said Anthology scraped the bottom of the barrel. Clearly they found more barrels after that. :lol:
Yeah, but the great thing about that was that they believed Anthology was "it" as far as outtake releases were concerned. They didn't forsee any more (and were very nearly right!) So they threw everything at it, filling up all six discs with no attempt to hold anything back. We even would have got the cavern acetate and Carnival but they were vetoed at the last minute. Now they are thinking of possible future releases, thus the short running times and omission of key tracks.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

skynet wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:00 am
A big coffee table book with some lousy introduction by an unknown rapper or some "artist" of that sort...
I kind of like the idea of a Big Coffee Book On Tape.

This way, we can hear someone on the order of a Slash, Sebastian Bach, Snoop Dogg, or even (if they can afford it) a Kid Rock read his own original introduction AND describe, page by page, the pictures therein.
No offense intended toward those who dig big coffee books on tape....
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

My interest in the continuing schlog of Beatles SDE releases has waned exponentially. Pretty much all that there is, which might make it past the veto stage and actually see an official release,... we have it already. So,... anticlimactic at best.

I'd shelve the idea of any future SDE releases. Instead there are three producs which should be released without having to reinvent the wheel:

The original Let It Be film, in synch and in its correct aspect ratio.
The 1965 Shea Stadium concert as shown in theaters in 2016. (Sid Bernstein Presents can eat their lawsuit.)
And lastly, both filmed 1966 Budokan shows, restored and remixed.

And that's pretty much it. I have no interest in any official anything else. The dead horse is unrecognizable.