so... Rubber Soul?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Ants

Re: so... Rubber Soul?

Post by Ants »

Ziggy C wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:31 pm The officially released alternates and outtakes are all guaranteed must-haves. The frustrating part is the amount of hacking and resplicing, creating new versions from the outtakes and alternates. That, to me, is an unforgivable form of vandalism.
I absolutely agree with that.
Although I think the Anthology tracks were messed up with a lot more than those in the SDEs.
I really liked how, for some of the Revolver takes/outtakes, they left in the start/end tape noises, etc.
Some years ago, they would've faded in/out them.
Mollusk

Post by Mollusk »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:00 am I don't think there'll be a Yellow Sub SDE but I'll be surprised if there is no MMT SDE. It would cover some of the tracks from YS anyway (well, a whole two songs...) But where this release fits into their long term plans we can only guess.
Hell, if I had to guess, they'd probably make it a twofer Super Deluxe, with both MMT and YS on it. Makes em some money with arguably less effort.
beatlbay

Post by beatlbay »

Ziggy C wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:17 am As for MMT....

Personally, I love this album. It has a batch of great tunes, dripping with the psychedelic residue of Sgt Pepper. The one thing that brings it down, IMO, is the movie/TV Special. I watched it again a few months ago. Aside from the music video pieces, it is awful. Just awful. Time has not, in my mind, elevated this piece anywhere near AHDN or even Help! (which also suffers somewhat from over-indulgence.) MMT, if anything is dated psychedelibabble. When I watched it this most recent sitting, it was with the Paul McCartney commentary track. That, at least made it a little more enjoyable. Keeping in mind that Paul has continually rewritten Beatles history in his favor....which he can do in the absence of John and George.

For a MMT SDE, I'd probably have to (gulp) include the movie, too. With the Jackie Chan blooper reel, etc.
FYI.. Steve Spielberg and George Lucas have both said how great and inspiring MMT was... goes to show how wacky and out of touch those Hollywood-types can really be... I always thought these two should do a remake, couldn't be no worst than the last Indiana Jones movie.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

There's a funny account in Michael Palin's diaries about when making Monty Python And the Holy Grail they had the idea of using MMT as the support feature. When they finally managed to get a print they all sat down to watch it and were severely disappointed! Comments about narcissistic shots of Paul etc.

I saw MMT in a cinema in 1987 and because my expectations were so low I enjoyed it. The print stank, the audio was muffled and boomy, but in those days it was exciting to see ANY Beatle video. A few years ago I did an extended cut of MMT with the extra songs from the album shoehorned in. The plot is so insubstantial that they fit in fine.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

beatlbay wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:22 pm

FYI.. Steve Spielberg and George Lucas have both said how great and inspiring MMT was... goes to show how wacky and out of touch those Hollywood-types can really be... I always thought these two should do a remake, couldn't be no worst than the last Indiana Jones movie.
Everyone gets their inspiration from somewhere. Quentin Tarentino, for example. Years working at a video rental store enhanced his film education such that he was able to produce with the winds of what had inspired him. Steve and George ain't no slouches, neither. A remake of MMT makes me shudder. Unless,....take the B/W version and "colorize" it using the AI from a few years ago.
skynet

Post by skynet »

:shock:

My gut and "a liitle voice in the back of my head" :lol: ;) are telling me that we will see Please, Please Me and With the Beatles next as SDE instead of Rubber Soul... :roll: :?: (I think is fin 'tho, as long as they keep releasing these things)
zappaf78

Post by zappaf78 »

... I think a new unbooted section (barely a seconds worth) from the Dick James demo acetate of What Goes On was posted at the end of this video. I did not know that the acetates were from the Harrison family.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

For your convenience, here is the What Goes On fragment, isolated:

hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1_HQQvEM9xpxunJOoMD0tKIUEz1ziNbwP/view?usp=share_link
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

It would be great if they included WGO! I hope he has offered it to them.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Hang on, if Apple let Parlogram buy the acetate then they must have made a dub before it was sold. Pretty easy if it came from George's estate. So I am now actually quite confident it will appear on any RS SDE. :D This alone will justify the price of admission.