so... Rubber Soul?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
zaval80

Re: so... Rubber Soul?

Post by zaval80 »

I think it would be only right for them to issue the 1963 to 1965 albums as SDEs, otherwise they'll be laughed at for not completing the job.
skynet

Post by skynet »

zaval80 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:24 am I think it would be only right for them to issue the 1963 to 1965 albums as SDEs, otherwise they'll be laughed at for not completing the job.
Yeah, but on the other hand i would go with the "rumor" posted by Mr Bump at the beginning of this thread, that "elsewhere" there is speculation that they might do year box sets - 1963, 1964, 1965; instead of going album by album

Let's see...
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

A likely scenario for a PPM SDE would be including a version of the album compiled from BBC performances.

For WTB, maybe they could include the entire I Wanna Hold Your Hand/This Boy session? Aside from a couple of Hold Me Tight/Don't Bother Me outtakes, there's bugger all else.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
brainwashed

Post by brainwashed »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:08 am A likely scenario for a PPM SDE would be including a version of the album compiled from BBC performances.

For WTB, maybe they could include the entire I Wanna Hold Your Hand/This Boy session? Aside from a couple of Hold Me Tight/Don't Bother Me outtakes, there's bugger all else.
Makes me wonder if Peter Jackson is/will be diving into live material to fill out any future Deluxe sets from the early years. Lots of BBC material of course, various live performances: Sweden '63, Royal Variety Show, etc...

PS Please Please Me or With The Beatles will include the From Me You/Thank You Girl/One After 909 session. Besame Mucho and How Do You Do It will be on PPM. Maybe Universal will get smart and pay off Emerick's estate so they can release the 6 June 1962 session reel. And of course there's always the hope that demos and Dick James acetates can be cleaned up and used. Lots of this was released on Anthology1, but it wouldn't hurt to revisit the material. Ron
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

they put out the laughing version of your bird can sing there is the "Beatle talk" tape Mr Martain rolling when doing Think For Yourself we all heard it but it another thing with them in the studio doing stuff thePanny Lane we got them talking was cool i thought
Chris
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

also cause 2023 and 60 years 1963 they may go right the start
whatever we get ill be happy sadly With The Beatles my fav album it be long time till see it.....
Chris
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I'd forgot about the FMTY session, so maybe they could do one short disc of outtakes for PPM. The entire sessions they'd pass on I think since with the exception of ISHST and 909 they are pretty samey from take to take.

However IWTHYH sounds from Lewisohn's description like it went through some changes during recording. We can but hope. Probably though, we'll get one take and 40 mins of blank disc.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
skynet

Post by skynet »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:58 pm I'd forgot about the FMTY session, so maybe they could do one short disc of outtakes for PPM. The entire sessions they'd pass on I think since with the exception of ISHST and 909 they are pretty samey from take to take.

However IWTHYH sounds from Lewisohn's description like it went through some changes during recording. We can but hope. Probably though, we'll get one take and 40 mins of blank disc.
Let's hope for the best i guess, unfortunately there's been an increasing trend in the industry (well for some artist at least
), to offer les product on big bulky and overpriced packages without anything additional of value, or as we said, less value for our money, take for example the recent announcement by Pink Floyd on the Dark Side of the Moon box set release which only presents the "remastered" original LP and the Wembley concert on Vinyl, both on CD as well, with an almost repeated set of material from the immersion box set, but WITHOUT any outtake and even including an extra 2nd blue ray with mostly includes the same material as Blue Ray 1 sans the Dolby Atmos mix, and a DVD with exactly the same material which is redundant. We can also mention Revolver, which was by all means disappointing.

So not sure if Universal is trying to kill physical releases with this, but for every crappy Beatles and Pink Floyd release, we have the counterpart, the Dylan box sets, the King Crimson re-releases and so on, so maybe is just a matter on who's miliking the cow, right?
ppbkwriter

Post by ppbkwriter »

Anyone think the 2012 Magical Mystery Tour box set with remastered 7" EP discs and Blu-ray copy of the film could be included adjunct to the SDE releases? Five years before 2017 SDE Sgt. Pepper's but a pretty nice set with additional film materials and commentaries (no music outtakes though).

It's always sitting on my shelf next to the SDE releases...
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

IMO the Beatles SDEs are about a book telling the story behind the album and the songs. They've found the way to sell us a pricey book, and the actual music can be seen as a bonus. As for me, it's OK as long as the books are of this standard. So if they see the way to make the interesting MMT and YS books, somehow rehashing the bits they've already done of songs used in adjacent SDEs, we'll see SDEs of these albums, and if not, not. A Beatles album always was an event, and it's only right to commemorate each of them with a SDE, as many bands of way lesser standing have their albums out in a deluxe edition of some kind. It's only right for the Beatles to lead the way in this, to show the likes of the Stones and the Who who's number one :lol:

One thing they've got absolutely right is that there's no need for a vinyl within their SDEs. So in this subtle way, they somewhat save us some money :lol: