Only 4th place in the Billboard 200

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Help67

Only 4th place in the Billboard 200

Post by Help67 »

Low sales of Revolver. Only 4th place in the Billboard 200. It is clear that only Sgt Peppers has worked. This may discourage Apple from releasing Rubber Soul. I think people who love the Beatles didn't buy the box set because of how little music it has. Many have been content to download it from the internet and not buy it. People are not stupid and only the fans have decided to buy it out of physical necessity. I got it damaged and I'm waiting for another copy. I think Apple should follow in the footsteps of Bob Dylan and his Bootlegs Series. With the poor quality of music that has been around for a long time, for an album like Revolver not to sell is a symptom. Just look at Rolling Stone's latest list of the 500 best albums in history. The Beatles are ignored in the first positions. Maybe we should think that "times are changing". I don't understand how Paul's last two albums have been 1st or 2nd being so fair and normal and a monument to music as Revolver passes without glory. It would be necessary to analyze if the privileged position that the Beatles have had in the last 50 years is still the same. It is true what Jagger said: The Stones are a group but the Beatles do not exist.
Phil_Lip

Re: Only 4th place in the Billboard 200

Post by Phil_Lip »

4th place is not bad for a 56 year old album.
Most of my links are to OneDrive. However, OneDrive does impose a download limit and when this is reached displays a message that the files are deleted or have expired. Leave it a while and try again later.
cliftdean74

Post by cliftdean74 »

The other component that should be factored in is that people are also worrying about the cost of heating their homes for the winter. So maybe the exorbitant price point of this release is a factor. Also, and this happens time and time again, you buy immediately and you pay the penalty of full or nearly full retail price. A few months later you can generally expect to pay up to 30% less.
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

Agree. 4th on Billboard isn't failure. It's a hit album.
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

There may be a misunderstanding of how this particular chart is compiled. Here's Billboard's updated criteria:

"Beginning with the December 13, 2014 issue, Billboard updated the methodology of its album chart again, changing from a "pure sales-based ranking" to one measuring "multi-metric consumption".[4] With this overhaul, the Billboard 200 includes on-demand streaming and digital track sales (as measured by Nielsen SoundScan) by way of a new algorithm, utilizing data from all of the major on-demand audio subscription services including Spotify, Beats Music, Google Play, and Xbox Music. Under the new methodology, ten track sales or 1,500 song streams from an album are treated as equivalent to one purchase of the album. Billboard will continue to publish a pure album sales chart, called Top Album Sales, that maintains the traditional Billboard 200 methodology, based exclusively on SoundScan's sales data.[4]

Beginning on January 18, 2020, Billboard incorporated video and audio data from YouTube, along with visual plays from streaming services like Apple Music, Spotify, Tidal, and Vevo, into the Billboard 200." The change has also impacted Billboard's genre-specific album charts."
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

Why should we even care about the charting of a 56-year-old album? Especially when chart success doesn't necessarily equate to financial success... My hunch is that Apple is making more money off physical sales than whichever artists occupied spots 1-3 in the chart.

Nowadays, streaming plays is what fuels chart success. While REVOLVER is a great album, and the SDE package has a lot going for it, I can't imagine many people are logging onto Spotify repeatedly just to get another listen to, say, "Love You To (unnumbered rehearsal). It's also pretty well documented that artists just don't earn as much money as they should through steaming plays.
Help67

Post by Help67 »

I was unaware of this whole issue. How complex. Times change. But I would have loved another number one for the sack.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Hang on, 4th place on the Top 200 is a brilliant result! This is 2022, half of the group is deceased and their last recording was in 1970. Untold thousands of artists struggle their whole lives and never even crack the Top 200.

This isn't 1995 anymore. Frankly I'm astounded that these sets do so well at this late stage of the game.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:41 pm Hang on, 4th place on the Top 200 is a brilliant result! This is 2022, half of the group is deceased and their last recording was in 1970. Untold thousands of artists struggle their whole lives and never even crack the Top 200.

This isn't 1995 anymore. Frankly I'm astounded that these sets do so well at this late stage of the game.
from what I understand this is not the album which is #4, but the deluxe box set, or at last the small 2 jewel case reissue of the album.
It's not like it was a survey, like what's your favorite album; it's based on sell. #4 for an expensive box set; is good.
jpgrcat007

Post by jpgrcat007 »

Billboard does a sales chart, but it's only for subscribers