Revolver 2022 issues

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
chescowx

Re: Revolver 2022 issues

Post by chescowx »

The good news is the Atmos Surround Sound stream sounds incredible on a good system with the down firing speakers. Still wish they would have made the surround sound mix available with a physical blu ray disk.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

After obtaining the Atmos version of Revolver and giving it a listen, I am absolutely underwhelmed. Only a few of the songs seem to benefit, and then only slightly: Yellow Submarine, with the whooshing effects in the rear, and the ship-talk all around; Here There And Everywhere with the bgd vox in the rear; Tomorrow Never Knows with the slight swirling around of PMC's tape loops. The rest of it has hardly any relevant application of Atmos other than some echo in the sides and rear. Since I never listen through cans or (yecch) earbuds, I may be missing something. But I'm not so worried about that. The only reason I'd listen through cans would be if I were doing a recording or mixing session of my own. And that probably explains a lot of why the Atmos mix is so meh. Even the limited 80's applications of holophonics (not to Beatles, but to Pink Floyd..) sound better. If the purpose of these Atmos mixes is to make headphones sound more 3D, than it is truly a missed opportunity for those creating this stuff.

The best version and gold standard for this album, IMO, will always be the original monoraul mix because that's the only version that the Beatles had a hand in creating. Even when modern technology is used by the big dogs to try to separate and remix the elements, inevitably the big dogs fall way short. For my tastes, if I really want to immerse myself in early Beatles mixed in surround, I prefer Abracadabra. That version delivers plenty of excitement and revelation despite the rear channels being instrument heavy and the front channels vocals heavy.
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

They stuffed up the Glyn Johns tape for the Japanese edition of Let It Be
Production errors and issues until they finally issued the Get Back blu ray/dvd
Now this all these issues with the Revolver release

Whati insane debacle is up for the next Super release then, any predictions...
masterjedi

Post by masterjedi »

Here's another one for the list. The outakes of I'm Only Sleeping have a lot of added stereo noise. You can see just how much by doing an oops.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

masterjedi wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:10 pm Here's another one for the list. The outakes of I'm Only Sleeping have a lot of added stereo noise. You can see just how much by doing an oops.
How bizarre.

Something that has been annoying me is the bus compression on the outtakes. For instance, on GTGYIML take 5 the tap-tap-tap-tap on the microphone modulates the level of the rest of the band. The Anthology mix is better.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
csnyfan

Post by csnyfan »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:37 pmSomething that has been annoying me is the bus compression on the outtakes. For instance, on GTGYIML take 5 the tap-tap-tap-tap on the microphone modulates the level of the rest of the band. The Anthology mix is better.
That's not happening on my source. No sign of compression there, really. The organ does not duck one tiny bit from the tapping.
masterjedi wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:10 pm Here's another one for the list. The outakes of I'm Only Sleeping have a lot of added stereo noise. You can see just how much by doing an oops.
I think that could be the other (empty) tracks of the tape being left open, mixed left right?
masterjedi

Post by masterjedi »

csnyfan wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:10 pm
I think that could be the other (empty) tracks of the tape being left open, mixed left right?
That's possible. It's at best unnecessary noise then. But that's some amazing channel crosstalk specs then too.
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:39 am Disc Americ was a real CD from Canada. They were sent the wrong tape. :D
This is new to me, I always thought it was just Help and Rubber Soul, hence being the only source of the LP master on CD before the 2009 Mono Masters. But if they got the 'wrong' tape of Revolver, which didn't get a GM remix in the 80s, what did they get then?
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

harrylime wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:43 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:39 am Disc Americ was a real CD from Canada. They were sent the wrong tape. :D
This is new to me, I always thought it was just Help and Rubber Soul, hence being the only source of the LP master on CD before the 2009 Mono Masters. But if they got the 'wrong' tape of Revolver, which didn't get a GM remix in the 80s, what did they get then?
A copy of the original, just like RS.
Yves
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

harrylime wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:43 pm
Revolver doesn't have the early fades (or the late fade in on IWTTY).

With The Beatles, A Hard Day's Night and Pepper are different analaogue tape transfers. In comparison they seem to sound the same but do not synch up which I guess means that there were TWO different attempts to transfer all the albums to digital.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene