Revolver 2022 issues

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Patrick Healy

Re: Revolver 2022 issues

Post by Patrick Healy »

Help67 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:24 pm Well, thank you very much for the impressive information. So I have slightly different editions than the canonical ones? well, that's very nice.
I meant on the Canadian discs compared to the common discs, not yours unfortunately.
Help67

Post by Help67 »

Wow, I thought you were referring to the Toshiba Japanese edition....
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Weren't some of the Canadian cds on Cinram and not Disc Amerique?
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:48 pm Weren't some of the Canadian cds on Cinram and not Disc Amerique?
Some were. The first copy of RS I had was on CINRAM (a November 1995 pressing according to Moptop), and I also have BFS (same pressing date).

It's pretty obvious there are some more pressed by CINRAM but I was only looking for DA editions.
Yves
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I'm wondering if the Cinram ones are from the same DA masters that's all.
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:01 pm I'm wondering if the Cinram ones are from the same DA masters that's all.
I always understood that at first DA was the main Beatles pressing plant at the end of the 80's-beginning of the 90's. DA plant was in Drummondville (Québec). But since DA was also pressing lots of records from our own Québec record industry (we have our own music industry that has nothing to see with the Canadian music industry as most of our music is in French and I guess more productive than in the rest of Canada, know here as ROC), Capitol, then EMI, had to rely on a backup and that's where CINRAM comes in. It was originally in Montréal (Québec), so kinda very practical. It then moved to Ontario and grew international, moving its CD pressing plant to Ontario closer to the Toronto offices. In the meantime, a new plant opened in Montréal (RSB) and it was more practical for people in the music business than the DA plant in Drummondville as all distributors were in Montréal, so they could get the CDs faster when doing business with RSB. So RSB drew lots of business from DA and DA wit slowly but surely down the drain as CINRAM, then EMI manufactured the Beatles' CDs.
Last edited by yymca6 on Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yves
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

yymca6 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:18 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:01 pm I'm wondering if the Cinram ones are from the same DA masters that's all.
I always understood that at first DA was the main Beatles pressing plant at then of the 80's-beginning of the 90's. DA plant was in Drummondville (Québec). But since DA was also pressing lots of records from our own Québec record industry (we have our own music industry that has nothing to see with the Canadian music industry as most of our music is in French and I guess more productive than in the rest of Canada, know here as ROC), Capitol, then EMI, had to rely on a backup and that's where CINRAM comes in. It was originally in Montréal (Québec), so kinda very practical. It then moved to Ontario and grew international, moving its CD pressing plant to Ontario closer to the Toronto offices. In the meantime, a new plant opened in Montréal (RSB) and it was more practical for people in the music business than the DA plant in Drummondville as all distributors were in Montréal, so they could get the CDs faster when doing business with RSB. So RSB drew lots of business from DA and DA wit slowly but surely down the drain as CINRAM, then EMI manufactured the Beatles' CDs.
Wow, what an answer! I'm amazed by your detailed knowledge of the matter. Me, I only know that Quebec is in Canada! :lol:
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:06 pm
Revolver doesn't have the early fades (or the late fade in on IWTTY).

With The Beatles, A Hard Day's Night and Pepper are different analaogue tape transfers. In comparison they seem to sound the same but do not synch up which I guess means that there were TWO different attempts to transfer all the albums to digital.
I see, thank you. Reading up on this I found an interesting post on the SF forum where it seems the '65 Rubber Soul digital master was accidentally sent by Capitol USA, not EMI. However, this could only have happened because EMI already sent the '65 master to Capitol before the '87 remix and thus Capitol ended up with two masters in their vaults. Presumably it was the same situation for Help!.

Question remains how a different edit of Revolver ended up there as well, because it doesn't seem plausible digital masters were sent throughout and suddenly an analogue one was ultimately used for DA's Revolver. Meaning they (presumably Capitol Canada) had to have an analogue tape sent over, transferred somewhere and mastered for CD all at their expense. That just wouldn't make much sense. Perhaps EMI also made two different CD masters in multiple cases and the same sequence of events led to DA eventually and unknowingly releasing the earlier master set.
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

Deleted
Last edited by yymca6 on Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yves
harrylime

Post by harrylime »

A "Prod CD Master" on U-matic that's analogue? That would be a first :lol: You are aware that originally Philips and Sony devised the master-to-disc process to use so-called "PCM-adaptors" that converted the digital master signal to (Sony's) U-matic tapes, before the advent of DAT?

Note that if you look a bit closer the master label has 44.1 and "PQ encoded", both are aspects of a PCM signal and meaningless for an analogue tape. Not to mention on the tape label there's even a check box for "pre-emphasis", which we all know from the Black Triangle CD. Also note the "467 DA-60" on its side, meaning it's the common Ampex 467 3/4" Umatic tape. See how Ampex indicates its intended use on its label:

Last edited by harrylime on Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.