Revolver 2022 issues

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
yymca6

Re: Revolver 2022 issues

Post by yymca6 »

For those interested here are the dates that Disque Americ pressed the Beatles CDs.

The first matrix numbers had usually 3 characters (starting usually with a number), then "/" followed by the album number, or if you prefer its spine number.

Second pressings on the numbers usually started with 4 characters filled by <011> then spine number. <011> refers to Beatles CDs, all other artists being numbered differently.

Seconds pressings all started with a letter, increasing on a monthly basis (A is April 1991, B May, etc). third pressings started with a 0 (zero) followed by a number (00 for June 1993, 01 for July, etc) then 0A starting in September 1994 (followed by 0B, 0C, etc).

Thanks to moptop, I was able to follow the numbering used over the years. Disque Americ was created on February 24, 1986 in Drummondville (Québec) ( I am from Montréal (Québec) and checked it in government sites I had access to as a CPA). They started pressing CDs in 1987 and were the main plant here in Québec at the time. They got the first Beatles contract at the beginning of 1990 if my matrix number hypothesis is OK, but unfortunately I was not able to track down anything on this and the plant shut down on February 10, 2011 then went bankrupt.

Finally here's my recap of different Beatles pressed by Disque Americ over the years. Note that either own a physical copy or have borrowed it from friends to be able to make up this list. None of these will ever be shared by me unfortunately. Also note that all copies without reference to Apple and/ir EMI logos only had the original Parlophone logo on their tray back cover.

Yves
jpa

Post by jpa »

Thanks so much Yves for this info!
Help67

Post by Help67 »

Some of you play in a different league. You have a scary amount of information about the Beatles' released music. It's really impressive the data you provide Yves.
By the way, apart from the original stereo mixes of Rubber Soul and Help! and the slightly longer endings of Revolver, aren't there any other CDs from the Canadian editions that differ from those released in Europe or the USA? I also have the Japanese box set, from Toshiba, but I guess it will be the same as the rest, the famous black breadbox with the booklet that we all have.
recordroman

Post by recordroman »

Excellent analytical work Yves, thank you.
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

Help67 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:01 pm Some of you play in a different league. You have a scary amount of information about the Beatles' released music. It's really impressive the data you provide Yves.
By the way, apart from the original stereo mixes of Rubber Soul and Help! and the slightly longer endings of Revolver, aren't there any other CDs from the Canadian editions that differ from those released in Europe or the USA? I also have the Japanese box set, from Toshiba, but I guess it will be the same as the rest, the famous black breadbox with the booklet that we all have.
I've read that there are slight differences on SPLHCB and AHDN. Also that our White Album is better than the US version.

I've managed to rebuild my DA collection over the tears, collection I partially had but got rid of some 15 years ago.

I also "built" a US 1987 collection, some of them pressed in West Germany, some at Sonopress in the EU but also found all, but two, pressed in the US at the Jackson ville plant (the JAX versions). I still have to get both Past Masters volumes physical copies but I know where to find them in the States (I skipped one last summer but won't do the same next summer when I go back to that precise record store). And I found some US longboxes stil sealed and unopened (so far I have PPM, WTB, BFS and Help!). Shall get some more next year when Wifet calms down about it... 😎
Yves
Help67

Post by Help67 »

The edition I have of the cd's released in the late 80's for the first time are from Holland or Germany except Past Masters vol. 1 which is Capitol USA. The Japanese edition is very nice and differs in the covers because of the Toshiba logo but I guess the audio is exactly the same.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

yymca6 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:13 pm
I've read that there are slight differences on SPLHCB and AHDN.
AHDN is more limited on teh canadian cd... although both are nowhere enar as good as the 2009 mono. Can't say I found any difference with Pepper.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
jpgrcat007

Post by jpgrcat007 »

yymca6 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:12 pm For those interested here are the dates that Disque Americ pressed the Beatles CDs.

The first matrix numbers had usually 3 characters (starting usually with a number), then "/" followed by the album number, or if you prefer its spine number.

Second pressings on the numbers usually started with 4 characters filled by <011> then spine number. <011> refers to Beatles CDs, all other artists being numbered differently.

Seconds pressings all started with a letter, increasing on a monthly basis (A is April 1991, B May, etc). third pressings started with a 0 (zero) followed by a number (00 for June 1993, 01 for July, etc) then 0A starting in September 1994 (followed by 0B, 0C, etc).

Thanks to moptop, I was able to follow the numbering used over the years. Disque Americ was created on February 24, 1986 in Drummondville (Québec) ( I am from Montréal (Québec) and checked it in government sites I had access to as a CPA). They started pressing CDs in 1987 and were the main plant here in Québec at the time. They got the first Beatles contract at the beginning of 1990 if my matrix number hypothesis is OK, but unfortunately I was not able to track down anything on this and the plant shut down on February 10, 2011 then went bankrupt.

Finally here's my recap of different Beatles pressed by Disque Americ over the years. Note that either own a physical copy or have borrowed it from friends to be able to make up this list. None of these will ever be shared by me unfortunately. Also note that all copies without reference to Apple and/ir EMI logos only had the original Parlophone logo on their tray back cover.

Help! [Feb 1990] & Rubber Soul [April 1990] seems that's when they were released of the 1965 Mixes on CD for the fist time
Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

Help67 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:49 pm The edition I have of the cd's released in the late 80's for the first time are from Holland or Germany except Past Masters vol. 1 which is Capitol USA. The Japanese edition is very nice and differs in the covers because of the Toshiba logo but I guess the audio is exactly the same.
With the Beatles is a different tape transfer but sounds the same unless you analyse it.
The White Album lacks the US glitches.
Sgt Pepper has a consistent volume difference between the 2 channels on the DA CD, whereas said volume differs from track-to-track on the common release.
Abbey Road and Let It Be are mastered at a different volume than the common CDs but they're sourced from the same files.
The banding (the exact point at which each track on the CD starts and ends) differs.
Or at least, that's what I've heard... I've never bothered to verify it but maybe I'll do that at some point.
Help67

Post by Help67 »

Well, thank you very much for the impressive information. So I have slightly different editions than the canonical ones? well, that's very nice.