REVOLVER 2022- WHAT'S NEW?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Lord Reith

Re: REVOLVER 2022- WHAT'S NEW?

Post by Lord Reith »

alphabeatles wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:07 pm
I found the spectrogram option, got that going, But the magnifying bit while clicking on frequencies doesn't seem to do anything (which magnifying glass? Any of them just zoom the view).
The magnifying glass appears when you hover the cursor over the frequency scale on the far left. Left click zooms in and right click zooms out.

Re the bass on Rain there is no way Paul would have played bass at that speed with a capo. He may have thought about it, but overdubbing it at the slow speed in G would be so much easier and give an audibly identical result. The bass guitar sounds completely normal on the record.

Re the speed of Rain I do remember in the Lost Lennon Tapes Mark Lewisohn talked about hearing the fast version and said it was "manic". The easiest way to tell is for someone to take a clean Ringo drum track for another song from Rockband, and slow it down either two or three semitones and see which sounds most like the record.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:42 am
alphabeatles wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:07 pm
I found the spectrogram option, got that going, But the magnifying bit while clicking on frequencies doesn't seem to do anything (which magnifying glass? Any of them just zoom the view).
The magnifying glass appears when you hover the cursor over the frequency scale on the far left. Left click zooms in and right click zooms out.
Thanks, on the Mac version you can right-click on the scale to zoom in various ways via menu, but no magnifying glass.
Tex

Post by Tex »

alphabeatles wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:15 am OK I see, the main difference is that the mp3 looks like "smoker's lungs", yes?
Yes.
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

i like the new release - of course I have no choice but to accept what they chose, too.

As for the multitrack version - that was to be released digital only from Apple iTunes? Is it available yet?
Interesting they did this as I was not aware surround sounds tracks were being released in this format. Most have a DVD or Bluray player that can play surround mixes...so now they assumed most have surround playback capability for this release?

I hope somebody rips it... I want to recompile each channel onto a DVD or Bluray like the other releases.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

millerTEK wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:18 am i like the new release - of course I have no choice but to accept what they chose, too.

As for the multitrack version - that was to be released digital only from Apple iTunes? Is it available yet?
Interesting they did this as I was not aware surround sounds tracks were being released in this format. Most have a DVD or Bluray player that can play surround mixes...so now they assumed most have surround playback capability for this release?
It could be an under the table deal with the streaming giants to get them more subscribers. If they have something unique to offer then people are more likely to give away cds and go over to streaming... or so they think. In return The Beatles could get a higher streaming royalty or something. It all sux but, hey, that's the way business people think.

Fortunately I don't give a rats ass about Atmos, and although I do own an AppleTV box I sure as hell wouldn't subscribe just to hear some Atmos mixes. I suspect that most older fans would feel the same way. Only if some madness overtook me and i becamne one of these people who takes all their records to a charity shop and gets a Spotify subscription instead.

As always in these matters, Apple don't know their market. They don't understand what we want or what we care about. That is because we are trivialized as idiot fans while the "real" market in their eyes is all these ordinary people who supposedly are flocking to buy the SDE sets and hear the Atmos mixes. They aren't. It's us, the Old Guard who are buying this stuff and making it profitable. The ordinary consumer barely knows any Beatles songs beyond Here Comes The Sun and Hey Jude, and they surely don't give a toss about a bunch of outtakes to songs they've never heard.
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

unwantedman wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:08 pm
Rondordrecht193 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:59 pm and the spoken intro by Ringo on Yellow Submarine is still missing 15 seconds, just like the version on the Real Love CD single released in 1996. Maybe the 15 seconds extra wouldn't have fit on the CD? ;)
where can you find this version with the extra 15 seconds? it's not on the PC Deluxe Edition, and that seems the most logical place if it circulates.
You can't. It's not been bootlegged or released.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Irritating that they didn't use the full 30 second intro. Stuff like this is just them being deliberately contrary I think. No rhyme or reason to it.
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:17 am Irritating that they didn't use the full 30 second intro. Stuff like this is just them being deliberately contrary I think. No rhyme or reason to it.
I know. We've already had that version back in the 90s. Why not just leave those 15 seconds in for the fans who have already got it? Give us something new to hear.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
csnyfan

Post by csnyfan »

I would assume the additional 15 seconds only exist on the dedicated 4-track tape for the marching effects, not on the 2 effects tracks of the actual 4-track tape of the song.
tulirepo

Post by tulirepo »

csnyfan wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:55 am I would assume the additional 15 seconds only exist on the dedicated 4-track tape for the marching effects, not on the 2 effects tracks of the actual 4-track tape of the song.
I think you're right. At the beginning of the new mix, right before the first marching stomp, it sounds like someone is starting a tape.