REVOLVER 2022- WHAT'S NEW?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
mikec

Re: REVOLVER 2022- WHAT'S NEW?

Post by mikec »

unwantedman wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:37 am i noticed that on disc 3, track 12, yellow submarine take 4 before sound effects, there is about 4 seconds of pre-song chat and a count in, but on the rockband version of this, there is about 45 more seconds of pre-song stuff. was this flown in from somewhere else in rockband, or was it edited out for the new deluxe edition?
As far as I remember, those 45 seconds on Rockband comes from before Take 1
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

mikec wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:42 am
unwantedman wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:37 am i noticed that on disc 3, track 12, yellow submarine take 4 before sound effects, there is about 4 seconds of pre-song chat and a count in, but on the rockband version of this, there is about 45 more seconds of pre-song stuff. was this flown in from somewhere else in rockband, or was it edited out for the new deluxe edition?
As far as I remember, those 45 seconds on Rockband comes from before Take 1
oh, I thought that this Anthology track (the one from HelterSkelter or the Voo-Doo set) used a portion of the movie "Yellow Submarine" soundtrack for the intro and that Dave made for his Voo-Doo Anthology a collage with the Anthology take to have a longer intro.
But if this is available on a HelterSkelter release this could be found on his set Yellow Chatter Custard if the source of this segment is from Rockband, it should be certainly on this set.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Hang on, are we saying that the full Land O Groats intro is to be found in Rockband? I'm confused. :?
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:20 pm Hang on, are we saying that the full Land O Groats intro is to be found in Rockband? I'm confused. :?
Not the full intro - I was just referring to the missing intro from Yellow Submarine (the part which was on Voo-Doo Anthology (not the official Anthology) and is not on the Revolver deluxe) - at first I thought that Dave1dmarx used the soundtrack of the movie to add this snippet.
and "missing" intro is not totally exact, because it sounds like Ringo recorded this additional intro later (because if, if this was the case we would have had it on the Revolver deluxe take)
If this is a Rockband snippet, this should be on HSR Yellow Matter Chatter (this set was just a collection of Rockband snippets not complete songs reconstructed), which Dave1Dmarx would have used for his Voo-Doo Anthology "Yellow Submarine".
But they could have been several snippets added together. I'm not familiar with the Rockband material, but there was a lot of chats, snippets from songs, false starts during credits or parts of the game; not complete song.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Oh. Pity.

I always thought it went "From Land O' Groats to John O' Green, each step there do we tread."
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
brainwashed

Post by brainwashed »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:32 am Oh. Pity.

I always thought it went "From Land O' Groats to John O' Green, each step there do we tread."
The archives must have more of the spoken word part(s) than the passage used on the Anthology EP and on the new Revolver Set. According to Lewisohn :
"It was a spoken passage by Ringo for the beginning of the song, faded up into the acoustic intro and lasting for as long as 31 seconds. It consisted of at least four separate superimpositions, dominated by Ringo's speaking voice, but aided and abetted by George, Paul and John all doing likewise, mixed into one melange. "And we will march to free the day to see them gathered there, from Land of O'Groats to John O'Green, from Stepney to Utrecht, to see a yellow Submarine... we love it"

Lewisohn goes on to say that Ringo repeats the words over and over so we may not be missing much. However, It might have nice to include the contributions of the others. Ron
mikec

Post by mikec »

Applejam101 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:02 am Great recap on the new set. I am really looking forward to hearing the Yellow Submarine takes.
Thanks, I'm sure you will enjoy them all (if not already)
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

brainwashed wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:33 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:32 am Oh. Pity.

The archives must have more of the spoken word part(s) than the passage used on the Anthology EP and on the new Revolver Set. According to Lewisohn :
"It was a spoken passage by Ringo for the beginning of the song, faded up into the acoustic intro and lasting for as long as 31 seconds. It consisted of at least four separate superimpositions, dominated by Ringo's speaking voice, but aided and abetted by George, Paul and John all doing likewise, mixed into one melange. "And we will march to free the day to see them gathered there, from Land of O'Groats to John O'Green, from Stepney to Utrecht, to see a yellow Submarine... we love it"

Lewisohn goes on to say that Ringo repeats the words over and over so we may not be missing much. However, It might have nice to include the contributions of the others. Ron
Maybe it starts with just the marching sound? Like they had to get up to speed and all the overdubs in synch? The bit we hear may just be where it all comes together. That said, it would have been nice to hear the whole thing.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
tymime

Post by tymime »

I think it's worth mentioning that George Martin's arrangement of Sgt. Pepper on his British Maid/By George album begins with the same marching sound effect. I was surprised to discover it a few years ago.
georgefromhenley

Post by georgefromhenley »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:55 pm
masterjedi wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:27 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:27 am I would never have expected them to play in the key of Bflat, because of the way the guitar is played John and George must be using capos (that's a band that goes on the neck to make the notes higher, like George uses on If I Needed Someone in Tokyo). When I was mixing that fast version I just assumed it would be in the key of A because they are playing open chords and at that pitch it is already breakneck speed. But who knows.
There are 2 equal distributions of hum in the fast track, one at 50Hz and one at 61Hz. So the track is at the right speed. The bass was overdubbed at the slower speed though because if you slow it down so that the 61Hz hum is at 50Hz, it's pretty close to the release speed.
Hey hey! A scientific approach solves the debate! The bass should have been left out of the fast mix.

If the full 31 second intro to YS still exists on another tape (and why wouldn't it) then it's a real oversight that they didn't present this as a separate item, because it really doesn't belong to a "highlighted effects mix" anyway.
To my ears the snare on Rain sounds way too high - but if the Hz story is a proof then one has to believe it.