REVOLVER 2022- WHAT'S NEW?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Patrick Healy

Re: REVOLVER 2022- WHAT'S NEW?

Post by Patrick Healy »

csnyfan wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:55 am I would assume the additional 15 seconds only exist on the dedicated 4-track tape for the marching effects, not on the 2 effects tracks of the actual 4-track tape of the song.
Do you think that tape and the other separate effects tapes still exist?
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

This is certainly a pricy package right now. A pretty penny spent for something that comes up slightly short of satisfying.

A new (and frankly unnecessary) remix by Giles Martin. A repackage of the still superior original Mono Mix. An afterfart (perhaps a fuzzy, or even less, a freep,) of a 10 minute CD single.

The only part that holds my interest is the middle 2 CD's which contain the alternate takes, versions, and outtakes. And even that is a letdown.
CD #2 clocks in at barely over 40 minutes. CD #3 is a bit more generous, clocking in at nearly 41 minutes. The book is, well, a book. Why is it part of a CD set? That part eludes me.

Two CD's of interest which are far less than packed with goodies. And I am even less excited because I am one of those who gets a thrill out listening to a good hi-res surround mix.

$109 for the SDE CD and $192 for the vinyl from Amazon.

Gonna have to pass on this one.
csnyfan

Post by csnyfan »

Patrick Healy wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:39 pm
csnyfan wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:55 am I would assume the additional 15 seconds only exist on the dedicated 4-track tape for the marching effects, not on the 2 effects tracks of the actual 4-track tape of the song.
Probably. I think it still existed when JB cataloged the tapes in the early 80s, so it will most likely still exist.
Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

Ziggy C wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:46 pm This is certainly a pricy package right now. A pretty penny spent for something that comes up slightly short of satisfying.

A new (and frankly unnecessary) remix by Giles Martin. A repackage of the still superior original Mono Mix. An afterfart (perhaps a fuzzy, or even less, a freep,) of a 10 minute CD single.

The only part that holds my interest is the middle 2 CD's which contain the alternate takes, versions, and outtakes. And even that is a letdown.
CD #2 clocks in at barely over 40 minutes. CD #3 is a bit more generous, clocking in at nearly 41 minutes. The book is, well, a book. Why is it part of a CD set? That part eludes me.

Two CD's of interest which are far less than packed with goodies. And I am even less excited because I am one of those who gets a thrill out listening to a good hi-res surround mix.

$109 for the SDE CD and $192 for the vinyl from Amazon.

Gonna have to pass on this one.
I went for the 2CD as a compromise.
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

csnyfan wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:07 pm
Patrick Healy wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:39 pm
Probably. I think it still existed when JB cataloged the tapes in the early 80s, so it will most likely still exist.
I may be wrong but I think that the marching effects and the intro appear on "The Alternate Revolver" on Walrus Records.
Yves
mikec

Post by mikec »

tulirepo wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:35 pm
I think you're right. At the beginning of the new mix, right before the first marching stomp, it sounds like someone is starting a tape.
That is correct! No additional 15 seconds before or after (and if the Voodoo release have something longer or repeated is a fake mix of course)
masterjedi

Post by masterjedi »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:27 am
Mr Bump wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:56 am
Rupert Pupkin wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:43 pm In comparison to Lord Reith "real live tempo" of "Rain" (I think it's on his suite Evolver) - he posted this recently - is not that fast. I don't think that Ringo could not play that fast. But it's a freaking faster tempo. I was just wondering how "accurate" this "real live" tempo is, because the official stuff is not something you can 100% trust. Perhaps later someone like csnyfan can give us his expertise, and some mix.
Same thing crossed my mind. It sounds too fast.

I wonder if anyone could analyse it and determine what key it was actually played in. Might be tricky to do - guitars can have capos and drum and bass not easy to judge.

Alternatvely, we just trust it was copied from original studio tapes recorded at that tempo.
I would never have expected them to play in the key of Bflat, because of the way the guitar is played John and George must be using capos (that's a band that goes on the neck to make the notes higher, like George uses on If I Needed Someone in Tokyo). When I was mixing that fast version I just assumed it would be in the key of A because they are playing open chords and at that pitch it is already breakneck speed. But who knows.
There are 2 equal distributions of hum in the fast track, one at 50Hz and one at 61Hz. So the track is at the right speed. The bass was overdubbed at the slower speed though because if you slow it down so that the 61Hz hum is at 50Hz, it's pretty close to the release speed.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

I'll admit that I'm one of the older people who actually does listen the the Atmos mixes on Apple Music. Once I bought a pair of AirPod Max headphones, my listening habits completely changed. I even like using the spectralized stereo option on 2 channel recordings as it makes a nicer soundscape in the headphones with smoother transition between sound positioning. I'll occasionally stop my subscription, but eventually I will treat myself to it again as I love the Beatles Atmos mixes.I wish they would do one for the White Album. I was always a bit indifferent to Abbey Road until I listened to the Atmos mix on my headphones and it’s now a favorite. I also really enjoy the rooftop Atmos mix. I look forward to the Revolver Atmos mix. I have to fly the next day so I will use it to block out all of the flight jitters.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

masterjedi wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:27 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:27 am I would never have expected them to play in the key of Bflat, because of the way the guitar is played John and George must be using capos (that's a band that goes on the neck to make the notes higher, like George uses on If I Needed Someone in Tokyo). When I was mixing that fast version I just assumed it would be in the key of A because they are playing open chords and at that pitch it is already breakneck speed. But who knows.
There are 2 equal distributions of hum in the fast track, one at 50Hz and one at 61Hz. So the track is at the right speed. The bass was overdubbed at the slower speed though because if you slow it down so that the 61Hz hum is at 50Hz, it's pretty close to the release speed.
Hey hey! A scientific approach solves the debate! The bass should have been left out of the fast mix.

If the full 31 second intro to YS still exists on another tape (and why wouldn't it) then it's a real oversight that they didn't present this as a separate item, because it really doesn't belong to a "highlighted effects mix" anyway.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
unwantedman

Post by unwantedman »

i noticed that on disc 3, track 12, yellow submarine take 4 before sound effects, there is about 4 seconds of pre-song chat and a count in, but on the rockband version of this, there is about 45 more seconds of pre-song stuff. was this flown in from somewhere else in rockband, or was it edited out for the new deluxe edition?
Elmore James ain't got nothin' on this baby.