REVOLVER 2022- WHAT'S NEW?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
snrub

Re: REVOLVER 2022- WHAT'S NEW?

Post by snrub »

georgefromhenley wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:21 pm To my ears the snare on Rain sounds way too high - but if the Hz story is a proof then one has to believe it.
Agreed, the hi hat also has a strange timbre so I wonder if there is some other explanation.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I've listened to the fast Rain a few times now and am satified that they performed it at that speed. Paul's count in sounds quite natural and it's possible that Ringo just tuned his snare higher than normal so that when it was slowed down it wouldn't sound too grungy.

Wish I could figure out what the hell is going on with the guitars. People have suggested various tunings but it's weird because generally they did not go in for alternate tunings. Yesterday is the only example I can think of. But, man, those low notes at the end. What the heck is going on there?
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Ants

Post by Ants »

Lord Reith wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:29 am I've listened to the fast Rain a few times now and am satified that they performed it at that speed. Paul's count in sounds quite natural and it's possible that Ringo just tuned his snare higher than normal so that when it was slowed down it wouldn't sound too grungy.

Wish I could figure out what the hell is going on with the guitars. People have suggested various tunings but it's weird because generally they did not go in for alternate tunings. Yesterday is the only example I can think of. But, man, those low notes at the end. What the heck is going on there?
I think the tuning of at least one of the guitars is:
Bb-F-Bb-F-Bb-D.

At the end of the song, one of the guitars seems to be playing an arpeggio on open strings.
I tuned down my acoustic guitar to match the tuning, and I can more or less play like the Actual Speed version.
And also, if I record myself and slow it down, it matches the released version quite well.

I know, it sounds very strange, but that's what audio evidence is suggesting me...
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I'm gonna have to listen to the separated guitars. If there was only one it would be simple, but two complicates matters.
Fabricio4322

Post by Fabricio4322 »

Engonoceras wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:57 pm Someone on Hoffman posted a short sample of a super wide and discrete stereo spectral upmix of the new take of "Got to Get You Into My Life" so this can definitely be done.

I sure would like to hear a composite of that take with the final take's vocals and horns. They have the same basic drum track so it would not be a fantasy mashup it would be something that COULD have existed and COULD have been mixed if they were recording to 8-track instead of 4-track.

This may be the best example of the Beatles deleting part of a superior arrangement (the guitars).
Since it's the same take which was used on the Released Mix, i would love to hear how those Wiped guitars sound with the Final Mix.
Having those Guitars on the final Mix would be a great Alt.Mix for the Abracadabra series.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Fabricio4322 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:24 am Since it's the same take which was used on the Released Mix, i would love to hear how those Wiped guitars sound with the Final Mix.
Having those Guitars on the final Mix would be a great Alt.Mix for the Abracadabra series.
I've thought about doing this, but have yet to decide on how to best approach it.
mikec

Post by mikec »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:44 am Great review. This is the sort of review I like.

Ages ago i made a mix of Dr Robert with the ending faded back up and I don't recall there being any problem, so I can't understand why it was faded on the record. Couldn't they just turn down the vocal track?! I'm inclined to think it was just another crazy Lennon idea and had nothing to do with him talking at the end.

I don't believe Paul would have overdubbed the bass to Rain at the fast speed. There would be nothing to gain because it would make it so much more difficult and bass slowed down doesn't really sound much different. I would guess that he overdubbed the bass in the key of G once it had been slowed down.

Can't believe it's taken 34 years since Lewisohn's book to get these outtakes out.
thank you Lord! My best regards, many things on Howlett's notes also in doubt from this and previous Deluxe Editions (and Lennon's).
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

mikec wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:00 am thank you Lord!
We also appreciate the prompt and speedy way in which you produce these notes. No waiting around, just bang there they are on the day of release. Makes it so much easier to figure out what we're listening to.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Ants wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:42 am I think the tuning of at least one of the guitars is:
Bb-F-Bb-F-Bb-D.
First thing I'm gonna say is that I am assuming there's a capo on 1st fret, so a Bflat chord is played as an A shape.

I agree that at least the lowest three strings are tuned down (A-E-A) which is pretty amazing because it basically means that The Beatles invented Death Metal guitar tuning 30 years before anyone else had ever heard of it.

While I could figure out that this very low guitar just seems to be playing a "drone" chord (similar to the crashing guitar chord in "Mark 1"), and that another guitar is playing the little figure-come-riff based around A, C#, D and E, I can't figure out where the actual guitar chords A, D and E are coming from. Is there a third guitar? Because if I try to combine the chord with that little guitar figure, I get something that sounds more like Buddy Holly than what we hear on the record. Now I normally don't have any trouble figuring out guitar parts, but after wrestling with this for over an hour I gave up in disgust. I don't like the idea of there being three guitars, but I just can't work out how two could do it. Also, the chords seem to be noticeably more dull in sound than the bright sounding lead guitar. If you try to play the chords with the low-tuned drone guitar it just sounds plain wrong.

I did note that during the middle passages ("Rain, I don't mind") there is a flashback to the chord at the start of A Hard Day's Night. Someone is playing an A chord followed by a modified G6 chord (G-B-D-G-D-E lowest to highest) while someone else holds the A chord the whole way through.

Pity someone didn't film the session instead of shooting them miming in the very same studios!
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

I just noticed that you can hear Ringo's drumming during the cut out section of the "well, well, well, you're feeling fine" section of the full version of 'Dr. Robert'. The other sections of that part don't have any drumming. Did he play it like that or was his track muted on the released version but not on the section that had been edited? I can see he needed to do something so everyone else kept in time during that bit. Took me a while to realise why that previously cut out section sounded different.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK