New Revolver Review

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Choking Smoker

Re: New Revolver Review

Post by Choking Smoker »

Yellowsubmarine wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:30 pm It looks like She Said She Said demo was taken from the bootlegs. :(

Same thing was with Goodbye on Abbey Road Deluxe.
It doesn't surprise me at all tbh, I mean why would they have first generation copies of such demo tapes? Most of them remained in the possession of the artist or whoever came into their ownership or copied them. Now when the do use substandard copies of material they do/should have that is annoying like the "Penny Lane" promo mix.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Choking Smoker wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:00 am
Yellowsubmarine wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:30 pm It looks like She Said She Said demo was taken from the bootlegs. :(

It doesn't surprise me at all tbh, I mean why would they have first generation copies of such demo tapes? Most of them remained in the possession of the artist or whoever came into their ownership or copied them. Now when the do use substandard copies of material they do/should have that is annoying like the "Penny Lane" promo mix.
The funny thing is that any fanboy worth their salt could guide them to a decent sounding version. There's none so blind as those who choose not to see.
stereoman33

Post by stereoman33 »

Its funny how they forget about things like the revolver remixes on the yellow submarine songtrack that are 23 years old now.

E.Rigby was mixed back then with the vocals corrected..easily available on the yellow submarine songtrack.

And the rockband mix of yellow submarine has the extra guitar chord at the start, just like the mono mix

And john singing “a life of ease” is on the stereo mix of yellow submarine on the yellow submarine songtrack lp

Interesting that Peter Cobbin , the remixer of all those Beatles songs in 1999 now works mixing film scores for Peter Jackson
Last edited by stereoman33 on Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Mixerrog

Post by Mixerrog »

You can read the interview with Giles Martin about the new Revolver at https://www.analogplanet.com/content/ex ... lver-vinyl

Rog
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Bazilnerk wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:03 pm The problem is that too many people are jealous of Giles and Sam and think that somehow they could do better.

Their remit is to correct the mixing mistakes of the original rushed stereo mixes, getting closer to the mono, and modernise the sound for a new generation - which is exactly what they are doing. Anybody mixing the Beatles is on a hiding to nothing, but with everything, it's all subjective. There are some songs i love the remixes of, others prefer the original - You can't please everyone all of the time. I personally WANT a clean, clear version of the album with decent panning which and will make my own mind up.
Exactly what I've been saying for years while using Get Back sessions as an example - You can't put out ANYTHING that pleases EVERYONE anymore. Some want the mono, closest to source quality....surprise! Source sound quality will not be perfect. Some people want best stereo sound quality possible.....surprise! there's no way to perfectly make it stereo that will fully please everyone. Some don't like all the blips, beeps, and roll announcements, do a set digitally removing them......surprise! there'll be people picky about how they were removed from the recording and people that want the stuff put back in. You could give fans the pure 2, 4, 8 track mastertapes and they'd still be divided on how satisfied they are or how much more or less they want. That's the difference between a want and a need. Besides food, water, air, and shelter no one needs any of it, and to want, desire, craive things you just keep wanting more. Eventually most all of us have wanted more to the point where every shread of audio recordings have become significant and some even suffer from addiction so bad that every little mash up remix is a hunger or craiving in hopes that something sounding new or different will finally get you to the relief that that urge to have everything will finally feel complete. Then it's a ping pong of nostalgia and wanting to hear everything as it sounded the day you first discovered it. A high dive back to the original mixes and poof! You are a tadpole wanting it all again....insanity of collectors.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:03 am

The funny thing is that any fanboy worth their salt could guide them to a decent sounding version. There's none so blind as those who choose not to see.
Anyone ever think that the cassette that leaked to bootleggers was a duplicate of the source and that IS exactly the sound quality and what is there of that demo? Just because a bootlegger tweaked the sound quality doesn't mean they got to use a bootlegged mix or copy. Those copies given to Westwood One for the Lost Lennon Tapes are pretty much close to exactly what his boxes of tapes sound like. Some stuff is there only for the sake of people that do not have bootlegs. You can't please everyone on both sides of the coin.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Engonoceras wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:57 pm
Bazilnerk wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:03 pm The problem is that too many people are jealous of Giles and Sam and think that somehow they could do better.
That's makes as much sense as saying people are critical of John Astley's "The Who" remixes because of jealousy. It can't be because of his (Astley's or Martin's) mixing goofs, wonky EQ, added/deleted FX or anything else weird right? :lol:

Well there ya go, so everyone that takes issue with Giles' mixes is just jealous they can't twiddle the knobs like Giles it has absolutely zero to do with the quality of his work.
Yeah! Like I'm 'jealous' of Justin Timberlake because I'm just 'jealous' I can't 'twiddle the knobs' on Jessica Biel.......I'm wide awake now to do some quality work!
csnyfan

Post by csnyfan »

Darth Kybiel wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:54 pm
Anyone ever think that the cassette that leaked to bootleggers was a duplicate of the source and that IS exactly the sound quality and what is there of that demo? Just because a bootlegger tweaked the sound quality doesn't mean they got to use a bootlegged mix or copy. Those copies given to Westwood One for the Lost Lennon Tapes are pretty much close to exactly what his boxes of tapes sound like. Some stuff is there only for the sake of people that do not have bootlegs. You can't please everyone on both sides of the coin.
It is very easy to prove that Apple sourced these from the bootlegs, and in both cases, not even from the best circulating quality.
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

csnyfan wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:18 pm

It is very easy to prove that Apple sourced these from the bootlegs, and in both cases, not even from the best circulating quality.
Just asking. How technically will you or others be able to prove?

For instance using FFP files?
Yves
Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

csnyfan wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:18 pm

And which bootleg source did they use for each of these cases?