New Revolver Review

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Help67

Re: New Revolver Review

Post by Help67 »

I sincerely believe that Mr. Giles Martin is not very beatlemaniac. Instead Peter Jackson has built a colossal documentary about Let It Be. And he won't have added more because they won't have let him. Having all the material scrupulously recorded by EMI, I don't understand why it is so miserable, with all due respect. Anyone in this forum would have released much more in those boxes. A cd with four songs (actually two)... unbelievable.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Darth Kybiel wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:46 pm Exactly what I've been saying for years while using Get Back sessions as an example - You can't put out ANYTHING that pleases EVERYONE anymore. Some want the mono, closest to source quality....surprise! Source sound quality will not be perfect. Some people want best stereo sound quality possible.....surprise! there's no way to perfectly make it stereo that will fully please everyone. Some don't like all the blips, beeps, and roll announcements, do a set digitally removing them......surprise! there'll be people picky about how they were removed from the recording and people that want the stuff put back in. You could give fans the pure 2, 4, 8 track mastertapes and they'd still be divided on how satisfied they are or how much more or less they want. That's the difference between a want and a need. Besides food, water, air, and shelter no one needs any of it, and to want, desire, craive things you just keep wanting more. Eventually most all of us have wanted more to the point where every shread of audio recordings have become significant and some even suffer from addiction so bad that every little mash up remix is a hunger or craiving in hopes that something sounding new or different will finally get you to the relief that that urge to have everything will finally feel complete. Then it's a ping pong of nostalgia and wanting to hear everything as it sounded the day you first discovered it. A high dive back to the original mixes and poof! You are a tadpole wanting it all again....insanity of collectors.
I think I'll let those thoughts console me!
Thank you, Darth!
I've been addicted for 7/8 of my life. The Beatles: The Drug!
They are pure and there were only four of them.
If anybody thinks we're forsaken...
it doesn't even matter.
They have been coping since 1970!
THAT's the incredible part.
And many have yet to realize that they represented humanity more than music.
If we can't all be pleased, we can rest assured that they tried.
There's more to this than meets the eye.
Thanks again, for the sensibilities.
KC
Help67

Post by Help67 »

According to John C Winn on June 8, 66, they recorded 3 instrumental takes (piano, bass and drums) and the vocal oberdubs over take 1. The next day they recorded more vocal, percussion and piano including the solo. E60289 on 4T.
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

I thought that "She Said She Said" could be a studio demo recording, not one of those John's demos (2 different demos "He Said" and "She Said She Said" (a slow one "he said..." that John wrote for the verses, and the one which became the chorus).
These 2 demos were broadcast through the LLTs.
And for the official release of the Double Fantasy Stripped Down - the song "(Just Like) Starting Over" they also used an LLT segment for the studio chat, warming up at the beginning of the stripped-down track (hence the slight vinyl surface sound).
So my guess is that they probably used the LLT transcription vinyl.
Apparently all the LLT material was not transferred on tape; but on vinyl.
That's perhaps the Revolver deluxe source, even if the "She Said She Said" demo is circulating from a tape source.

Fortunately, it seems since that since the "Imagine" deluxe box set and "Plastic Ono Band" deluxe box set (which came with some big surprises such as George Harrison on Instant Karma, or the funky-guitar take of Cold Turkey) that their demos (Love, Mother, God) are sourced from tape; not LLTs.
Apparently for John Lennon solos release they are taking their time now, and more seriously.
But since this is a Beatles release, probably the pre-1968 John Lennon demos have not been "catalogued" so far for a deluxe release, thus those behind the "Revolver" release took the easy path, LLTs. Not bootlegged, even if the LLT have been bootlegged (best source on Vigotone or Bag (subsidiary label), but as I wrote "She Said She Said" are available from tape source and this "fan release" effort was silvered by various label such as MisterClaudel.

But I'm disappointed if this is one of these demos; I was expecting something new for "She Said She Said".
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Has anyone else wondered why the mono mixes weren't made the default on streaming? After all, a hell of a lot of people listen with only one speaker these days. Also, new listeners are less likely to do a double-take when the sound all comes from the centre rather than from hard left/right.

When all is said and done, I don't really think that much about the remixes. I play them once when I get a new set, but my primary focus is always the outtakes. The last few years we've had an absolute bonanza of outtakes. It's been an amazing time to be a Beatles freak. Remember the long, cold, lonely winter of 1997-2012? Barely a scrap except Naked and Love. I can remember how excited everyone was to get ONE new outtake during that period: the long version of Revolution 1.
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

yes we got a disette of almost one decade, before His Master's Choice came out with "Knickers..." and the elusive Revolution take.
At the same time new John Lennon material with HMC, piano demos, Grow Old With Me for the first time on acoustic guitar and piano single tracked vocal on "At Home".
I think that at the same time we got Purple Chick Sgt Pepper with the 4 multitracks rough mix which was a revelation : the extra strings/har bar on "She's Leaving Home", how McCartney's voice and harmonies was fragile and that the best singer who could hold a note for several seconds was Ringo on "With A Little Help From My Friends".
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Kwai Chang wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:21 pm
Darth Kybiel wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:46 pm Exactly what I've been saying for years while using Get Back sessions as an example - You can't put out ANYTHING that pleases EVERYONE anymore. Some want the mono, closest to source quality....surprise! Source sound quality will not be perfect. Some people want best stereo sound quality possible.....surprise! there's no way to perfectly make it stereo that will fully please everyone. Some don't like all the blips, beeps, and roll announcements, do a set digitally removing them......surprise! there'll be people picky about how they were removed from the recording and people that want the stuff put back in. You could give fans the pure 2, 4, 8 track mastertapes and they'd still be divided on how satisfied they are or how much more or less they want. That's the difference between a want and a need. Besides food, water, air, and shelter no one needs any of it, and to want, desire, craive things you just keep wanting more. Eventually most all of us have wanted more to the point where every shread of audio recordings have become significant and some even suffer from addiction so bad that every little mash up remix is a hunger or craiving in hopes that something sounding new or different will finally get you to the relief that that urge to have everything will finally feel complete. Then it's a ping pong of nostalgia and wanting to hear everything as it sounded the day you first discovered it. A high dive back to the original mixes and poof! You are a tadpole wanting it all again....insanity of collectors.
I think I'll let those thoughts console me!
Thank you, Darth!
I've been addicted for 7/8 of my life. The Beatles: The Drug!
They are pure and there were only four of them.
If anybody thinks we're forsaken...
it doesn't even matter.
They have been coping since 1970!
THAT's the incredible part.
And many have yet to realize that they represented humanity more than music.
If we can't all be pleased, we can rest assured that they tried.
There's more to this than meets the eye.
Thanks again, for the sensibilities.
KC
LOL, I was presenting an example to the fact that no matter what's done or not done with the source material the various types of collectors will not all be 1000% satisfied. I think overall it seems there is a fair fraction worth of the box set to please each type. You got the moderized sounding remaster, you got some alt mixes, not all, you got some outtakes already bootlegged snd some not already bootlegged so that people that have no way to obtain what we've had for years have access to some and there's some not bootlegged for 'those who have near everything' of bootlegs. I don't think it needs much more bells and whistles.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Help67 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:38 pm According to John C Winn on June 8, 66, they recorded 3 instrumental takes (piano, bass and drums) and the vocal oberdubs over take 1. The next day they recorded more vocal, percussion and piano including the solo. E60289 on 4T.
If you are still referring to Good Day Sunshine. Yeah I watched the youtube clip earlier today again, yeah, there are three takes. Only take 1 and take 3 are complete, take 2 is an abrupt breakdown. and he said the take with no overdubs is not much more different than if you'd strip the overdubs off the final take at all. He said he tried to stick with outtakes more different from final versions. I'll relook it up later during the day in my youtube viewing history and copy the youtube link and post it. He gives pretty solid answers to everything he is asked. Most of the same questions I've seen people ask on this site too.
Nairb1956

Post by Nairb1956 »

This just hit.....

Choking Smoker

Post by Choking Smoker »

Oh well, at least the ending of TNK Take 1 is new to us