New Revolver Review

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Kwai Chang

Re: New Revolver Review

Post by Kwai Chang »

I'm still jealous...
(of Giles)
but not for any of those reasons.
It actually goes way back to my, well not quite that far...
But. I hated him for LOVE!
Then I loved him for LOVE!
Since then, I've just been jealous.
If I could be the punching bag that he is...
I'd pay cash for the privilege!
And, although this is meant to lighten the mood,
it's still TRUE and slightly humorous.
Jealous?
The Beatles?
Who wouldn't be!
All discussion about the group captivates...
this one is no different!
KC
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

In other news:
From what the article says, I still would embrace something fan-made if it was as cool as Lord Reith's(Welcome back, Sire!) Taxman with the lead guitar flipped around. I'm a purist but where do you think the future of The Beatles is going to lead us to? Giles isn't quite the fan that I'd like him to be, but if George Martin hadn't had a son...LOVE may never have happened. I can think of many less fortunate places to be right now. If we're going to open it...then open it all the way! I think some of the ideas at this forum are as good or better than the official products we've gotten. I'd rather have them than NOT have them. I wouldn't say that about any other group or forum!
Never has there been so much relevant activity on a near daily basis!
I'm in heaven.
I'm jealous.
I'm a Beatles fan!
Peace, friends!
KC
TheAntManBee

Post by TheAntManBee »

Giles Martin is doing a good job so far. There's some problems in the mixes, some choices I don't agree with it, but otherwise I think they sound great. I truly dislike purism and gatekeeping, I don't care about a hum or if a song runs a milisecond faster than the original as long as the song stays the same. And whether the person agree or not, that doesn't make them a lesser fan. Seriously, I never heard about the hum on Taxman until someone pointed that out to me and I was thinking that I was obsessive with The Beatles. I mean, is that really important to the overall performance of the song?

I always thought the original stereo for Revolver was terrible anyway and that was the one I grew up listening. The music is so well made that it surpasses any flaws of the mixes but it is a challenge to hear for someone who's unfamiliar with 60s music.

The fact that Giles Martin isn't a super duper obsessive Beatles fan allows him to make more objective and risky decisions rather than copying the old mix. Afterall, what's the point of doing a remix if you're doing the same thing again? And it's not like the old mixes are going to be locked away forever like they did with The Who, they're still available!
csnyfan

Post by csnyfan »

yymca6 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:44 pmJust asking. How technically will you or others be able to prove?

For instance using FFP files?
FFP changes completely when the content changes slightly, so no. You can tell by comparing the audio spectra and looking for specific artifacts (wow/flutter, dropouts, lossy encoding, phasing) that are shared by the official and only some of the bootlegged versions.
Patrick Healy wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:46 pm And which bootleg source did they use for each of these cases?
For "Goodbye", I don't remember the original bootleg source, but you can search the SHF forums if it irks you.
The new "She Said She Said" demo comes from the same source used by Coltturkey for Ultimate Home Demos, whatever that is.
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

csnyfan wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:28 pm
FFP changes completely when the content changes slightly, so no. You can tell by comparing the audio spectra and looking for specific artifacts (wow/flutter, dropouts, lossy encoding, phasing) that are shared by the official and only some of the bootlegged versions.
AFAIK FFPs don't change even when some metadata is added or modified (e.g. tagging). Is this what you meant when saying "when the content changes slightly" ?
Yves
csnyfan

Post by csnyfan »

yymca6 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:39 pm
csnyfan wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:28 pm
AFAIK FFPs don't change even when some metadata is added or modified (e.g. tagging). Is this what you meant when saying "when the content changes slightly" ?
I meant like, if you dither, resample, change volume, trim, fade etc...
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

csnyfan wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:00 pm [
I meant like, if you dither, resample, change volume, trim, fade etc...
That's what I thought but wanted to be sur I understood. Thanks for answering!
Yves
Help67

Post by Help67 »

Why didn't they include a take of Good Day Sunsine?. The same thing happened with the White Album, where they didn't include takes from Wild Honey Pie and Revolution 9.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Patrick Healy wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:46 pm
csnyfan wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:18 pm
Darth Kybiel wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:54 pm

Anyone ever think that the cassette that leaked to bootleggers was a duplicate of the source and that IS exactly the sound quality and what is there of that demo? Just because a bootlegger tweaked the sound quality doesn't mean they got to use a bootlegged mix or copy. Those copies given to Westwood One for the Lost Lennon Tapes are pretty much close to exactly what his boxes of tapes sound like. Some stuff is there only for the sake of people that do not have bootlegs. You can't please everyone on both sides of the coin.
It is very easy to prove that Apple sourced these from the bootlegs, and in both cases, not even from the best circulating quality.
And which bootleg source did they use for each of these cases?
Almost every source for the He Said He Said and She Said She Said ALL are copied down from the EXACT SAME Lennon cassette which was also copied to be used on the Revolver box set, so yeah ALL are going to sound the same, all are only a couple generations from the source tape. Anything sounding better only sounds better from tweaking thus you bounce right back to the other arguement of types of collectors and close to source pureists aand etc etc etc. Thos cassette sourced copies only leaked to most bootlegs a short while ago so of course there will be near identical sound quality. Most likely the same amount of cassette hiss if the bootleg didn't NR along the way.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Help67 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:05 pm Why didn't they include a take of Good Day Sunsine?. The same thing happened with the White Album, where they didn't include takes from Wild Honey Pie and Revolution 9.
Giles said in interview, it's on youtube, there are only two takes on the mastertape, Take 1 and the final with all the overdubs, so I suppose if anything else was done for Good Day Sunshine it was erased or is missing? He said nothing was impressive with what was there.