New Revolver Review

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Neal Nollie

New Revolver Review

Post by Neal Nollie »

alphabeatles

Re: New Revolver Review

Post by alphabeatles »

Good honest review.

I think we're at the point where these official releases are just raw material for our own remixers to get it right... Gives "fix it in the mix" new meaning!
quigatolah

Post by quigatolah »

Ugghh
If this guy likes the shrill 66 mixes he can stay home and play his old records.

"The way it used to be" is still sitting there on those old discs.
Maybe it's because he gets his review copy for free?
I sure wouldn't buy the same thing again.

And non stop complaining every time there is a new release from all these purists.
I just don't get it. What's wrong with you?

I bought Beatle records in the old days because they made me feel happy.
If a new look at the Beatles doesn't make you feel happy anymore, go find another hobby.
theboxinargentina

Post by theboxinargentina »

alphabeatles wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:44 pm Good honest review.

I think we're at the point where these official releases are just raw material for our own remixers to get it right... Gives "fix it in the mix" new meaning!
"Get it right" lol. As though there is an an objective "correct" way to do it.
Bazilnerk

Post by Bazilnerk »

The problem is that too many people are jealous of Giles and Sam and think that somehow they could do better.

Their remit is to correct the mixing mistakes of the original rushed stereo mixes, getting closer to the mono, and modernise the sound for a new generation - which is exactly what they are doing. Anybody mixing the Beatles is on a hiding to nothing, but with everything, it's all subjective. There are some songs i love the remixes of, others prefer the original - You can't please everyone all of the time. I personally WANT a clean, clear version of the album with decent panning which and will make my own mind up.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

Good points all! The original mixes were done in a different era under technical and time and maybe budgetary restraints, but they got the job done.

Musical tastes and technology and generations change so it's true newer mixes have their place, so long as they are not garish in any way. And of course that depends on how you define garish!

So long as Paul and Ringo are loud I guess everybody's happy ;-)
DrRobert

Post by DrRobert »

I'm lost with the stuff on the She Said She Said rehearsal.

So McCartney is there in the rehearsal and then leaves? I thought he left before it was even attempted?
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Has it ever been determined that handing out advance copies actually increases sales?
The Beatles are far above any such reliance. Give everyone the same street date and let the music do the talking.
It's not as if there's a bunch of teenagers awaiting the drop of a clanger! Wildlife knows about this record!
It wasn't radio-friendly in 1966!
There is no way to sugar coat the new bitterness known as DVD/BluRay Deficiency.
But, that knowledge won't help sales anyway!
But, there are other issues that might not even be relevant. Can a 50 year old recording be modern?
The Beatles did understand the limitations of the process and perhaps felt they could only be resolved in MONO. It's pure irony that the 50 year old limitations are what is keeping their most ambitious album from being liberated. So, the fossilized MONO gets to remain as a totem by which all others are modelled after. If the technology could unlock the stuff that's locked in...would ANYBODY think it worth remixing into mono. I mean, is there a better way to make their vision worthy of celebration? But, to be modern means to leave the Beatles vision at the door. Forget what they wanted because technology didn't allow them to envision properly! Well, I'm probably the only one thinking it, but...the magic of their music wasn't the technology...but their own confidence. And, if I sound a bit jealous of Giles Martin, I'll be the first to admit that I am! But, Giles is part of a corporate agenda. If he were thinking REALLY big-- he'd be thinking in MONO...
but it's LOCKED into outdated technology. So, nobody will be remixing into mono any time soon!
These guys don't need to hand out advance copies, either!
Thank you for your time!
Thank you, alphabeatles!
KC
Yellowsubmarine

Post by Yellowsubmarine »

It looks like She Said She Said demo was taken from the bootlegs. :(

Same thing was with Goodbye on Abbey Road Deluxe.
Tex

Post by Tex »

Bazilnerk wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:03 pm The problem is that too many people are jealous of Giles and Sam and think that somehow they could do better.
That's makes as much sense as saying people are critical of John Astley's "The Who" remixes because of jealousy. It can't be because of his (Astley's or Martin's) mixing goofs, wonky EQ, added/deleted FX or anything else weird right? :lol:

Well there ya go, so everyone that takes issue with Giles' mixes is just jealous they can't twiddle the knobs like Giles it has absolutely zero to do with the quality of his work.
Last edited by Tex on Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:47 am, edited 5 times in total.