New Revolver Review

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
harrylime

Re: New Revolver Review

Post by harrylime »

Darth Kybiel wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:14 pm
Help67 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:05 pm Why didn't they include a take of Good Day Sunsine?. The same thing happened with the White Album, where they didn't include takes from Wild Honey Pie and Revolution 9.
Giles said in interview, it's on youtube, there are only two takes on the mastertape, Take 1 and the final with all the overdubs, so I suppose if anything else was done for Good Day Sunshine it was erased or is missing? He said nothing was impressive with what was there.
As per Barrett and Lewisohn, they recorded three rhythm takes (not two), of which take 1 got overdubs and thus the only extra stuff to release would be two inferior rhythm takes. Apart from that there was nothing to erase or get missing to begin with.

Wild Honey Pie was even a single (short) take that was then looped and overdubbed, don't forget this was just Paul as one-man-band after recording Mother Nature's Son. Rev 9 had at least some options, there was the (booted) rough mix of the first session (lacking the parts flown in from Rev 1 take 20), then the first stereo mix from the second session. Although both being incomplete and/or inferior to the final result I would be also doubtful if it would have been worthwhile to include.
Help67

Post by Help67 »

Hi all, Tomorrow Never Knows includes the Anthology take plus the famous mono mix that was cancelled at the last minute. That's what I'm saying, they should have included something from Good Day Sunsine, even if it's an instrumental. Of Wild Honey Pie I think there is the extended version at the end of the song and of Revolution 9, obviously, it wasn't necessary but it wouldn't have been wrong to put a different mix. It just doesn't make sense to present a CD with 50 minutes or less with everything they recorded and kept it all. The Stones don't have that much archived, far from it, I think Decca didn't work like the archivist EMI. In fact they haven't released anything new from their 60's albums because there is so little. Dylan is much more generous and releases with his fans in mind and Apple with the big market in mind.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

harrylime wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:25 am
Darth Kybiel wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:14 pm
Help67 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:05 pm Why didn't they include a take of Good Day Sunsine?. The same thing happened with the White Album, where they didn't include takes from Wild Honey Pie and Revolution 9.
Giles said in interview, it's on youtube, there are only two takes on the mastertape, Take 1 and the final with all the overdubs, so I suppose if anything else was done for Good Day Sunshine it was erased or is missing? He said nothing was impressive with what was there.
As per Barrett and Lewisohn, they recorded three rhythm takes (not two), of which take 1 got overdubs and thus the only extra stuff to release would be two inferior rhythm takes. Apart from that there was nothing to erase or get missing to begin with.

Wild Honey Pie was even a single (short) take that was then looped and overdubbed, don't forget this was just Paul as one-man-band after recording Mother Nature's Son. Rev 9 had at least some options, there was the (booted) rough mix of the first session (lacking the parts flown in from Rev 1 take 20), then the first stereo mix from the second session. Although both being incomplete and/or inferior to the final result I would be also doubtful if it would have been worthwhile to include.
Here's the Youtube video. You gotta go forward to Giles' interview and he tells you whats on the master tape.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

And as I said on one of these Revolver threads - Tomorrow Never Knows Take 1 is in stereo and the complete session take - not the tweaked Anthology mix - You can now find the box set version of take 1 on Youtube.

Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

Darth Kybiel wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:58 pm And as I said on one of these Revolver threads - Tomorrow Never Knows Take 1 is in stereo and the complete session take - not the tweaked Anthology mix - You can now find the box set version of take 1 on Youtube.

How was it tweaked for Anthology 2?
Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

Darth Kybiel wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:58 pm And as I said on one of these Revolver threads - Tomorrow Never Knows Take 1 is in stereo and the complete session take - not the tweaked Anthology mix - You can now find the box set version of take 1 on Youtube.

Also, it isn't quite unedited on the boxset, there's a half-second when the tape starts up which is only on Anthology 2.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Darth Kybiel wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:15 am LOL, I was presenting an example to the fact that no matter what's done or not done with the source material the various types of collectors will not all be 1000% satisfied. I think overall it seems there is a fair fraction worth of the box set to please each type. You got the moderized sounding remaster, you got some alt mixes, not all, you got some outtakes already bootlegged snd some not already bootlegged so that people that have no way to obtain what we've had for years have access to some and there's some not bootlegged for 'those who have near everything' of bootlegs. I don't think it needs much more bells and whistles.
Compassionate Intent aside, it's all relative and those who haven't waited have no concept of such endurance.
I, on the other hand, am as selfish as any Beatles fan ever has been.
The more they give...the more I expect!
The well won't run dry!
It wouldn't dare!
THAT's how good things have gotten!
Ditto at Lord Reith's previous comment!
Ouch! Please stop it some more!
Thank you, Darth!
KC
Rickenbacker325

Post by Rickenbacker325 »

Kwai Chang wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:11 pm
Darth Kybiel wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:15 am LOL, I was presenting an example to the fact that no matter what's done or not done with the source material the various types of collectors will not all be 1000% satisfied. I think overall it seems there is a fair fraction worth of the box set to please each type. You got the moderized sounding remaster, you got some alt mixes, not all, you got some outtakes already bootlegged snd some not already bootlegged so that people that have no way to obtain what we've had for years have access to some and there's some not bootlegged for 'those who have near everything' of bootlegs. I don't think it needs much more bells and whistles.
Compassionate Intent aside, it's all relative and those who haven't waited have no concept of such endurance.
I, on the other hand, am as selfish as any Beatles fan ever has been.
The more they give...the more I expect!
The well won't run dry!
It wouldn't dare!
THAT's how good things have gotten!
Ditto at Lord Reith's previous comment!
Ouch! Please stop it some more!
Thank you, Darth!
KC

I’m with Mr Chang and Mr Reith on this one!
ruedabeat

Post by ruedabeat »

Patrick Healy wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:03 pm

Also, it isn't quite unedited on the boxset, there's a half-second when the tape starts up which is only on Anthology 2.
LOOPS!!!

:o 8-) :lol:
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

When I read about people having isssues with the fact that this or that outtake wasn’t included, I think about all of the outtakes we're gotten since 2017. A rough count, not excluding duplicate Anthology tracks because I'm lazy, and not including the Get Back LP, they have given us around 193 demos and outtakes. Never in my life would I have dreamed of getting that much. We're in the second golden age of Beatles releases IMO.