New Revolver Review

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Mr Bump

Re: New Revolver Review

Post by Mr Bump »

Whether you love this or hate it, I personally think it's quite refreshing to hear some good rampant cynisism.

Contains swear words, so beware if kids are in earshot...

Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

MrMurphMcgee wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:31 pm Never in my life would I have dreamed of getting that much. We're in the second golden age of Beatles releases IMO.
It was ragged and naive,
it was Heaven!
KC
Golem

Post by Golem »

Mr Bump wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:36 pm Whether you love this or hate it, I personally think it's quite refreshing to hear some good rampant cynisism.

I dont know if I've really ever heard anyone hating on the og mix, what is this guy on about
ruedabeat

Post by ruedabeat »

Mr Bump wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:36 pm Whether you love this or hate it, I personally think it's quite refreshing to hear some good rampant cynisism.

Even though, anyway, The Beatles are the greatest band in the Rock History. Anyway. :geek:
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I don't actually remember anyone ever saying anything bad about the old Revolver stereo mix except me. :lol: I dislike the low frequencies panned to the centre which blur the bass guitar when it is on one side, and I really don't like the hard left/right panning of the ADT vocals. But I would never have called it "trash", or any other Beatles mix for that matter. But now that a new version is on the way there's been a certain amount of Revolver bashing going on as people try to justify why a new mix is needed. I guess that's to be expected. But it has gotten a bit out of hand in some quarters.

But the new remix will create new grievances, like the weird tiled-living-room reverb added to what was previously a very "dry" album and the more adventurous demixing where the drums have been presented in stereo (that off-centre rack tom on Tommorow Never Knows is very distracting IMO). And buried vocals or overly loud instruments in some places. So by the time everyone has listened to the whole new album, the thread on Steve Hoffman will have turned into a regular bar fight. The new remixes have polarised fans in a way we have never ever seen before - it's like the flipping Democrats and Republicans now. :(
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:47 am I don't actually remember anyone ever saying anything bad about the old Revolver stereo mix except me. :lol: I dislike the low frequencies panned to the centre which blur the bass guitar when it is on one side, and I really don't like the hard left/right panning of the ADT vocals. But I would never have called it "trash", or any other Beatles mix for that matter. But now that a new version is on the way there's been a certain amount of Revolver bashing going on as people try to justify why a new mix is needed. I guess that's to be expected. But it has gotten a bit out of hand in some quarters.

But the new remix will create new grievances, like the weird tiled-living-room reverb added to what was previously a very "dry" album and the more adventurous demixing where the drums have been presented in stereo (that off-centre rack tom on Tommorow Never Knows is very distracting IMO). And buried vocals or overly loud instruments in some places. So by the time everyone has listened to the whole new album, the thread on Steve Hoffman will have turned into a regular bar fight. The new remixes have polarised fans in a way we have never ever seen before - it's like the flipping Democrats and Republicans now. :(
Now, if we could get the bar fight into the tiled living room maybe the resulting audio will be in atmospheric monereo!
Do you think we can get an X, Y, Z placement with 8 speakers all panned HARD Center?
The FULL-STOP mix.
I told you...THAT's how good things have gotten.
Can it be saved?
Yes, next remix...will make us all forget how to be angry!
If it gets that way...
Lord, help us ALL!
PEACE!!!
KC

Edit: The 'Octagon' Mix???
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Patrick Healy wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:44 pm
Darth Kybiel wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:58 pm And as I said on one of these Revolver threads - Tomorrow Never Knows Take 1 is in stereo and the complete session take - not the tweaked Anthology mix - You can now find the box set version of take 1 on Youtube.

How was it tweaked for Anthology 2?
Record it onto Audacity and see how close to mono Anthology 2 is while this outtake is in stereo with complete end.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Golem wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:27 pm

I dont know if I've really ever heard anyone hating on the og mix, what is this guy on about
LOL, I skipped over it the day youtube had it on my recommendations. The guy's face alone makes you think he sells stolen cars.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:47 am I don't actually remember anyone ever saying anything bad about the old Revolver stereo mix except me. :lol: I dislike the low frequencies panned to the centre which blur the bass guitar when it is on one side, and I really don't like the hard left/right panning of the ADT vocals. But I would never have called it "trash", or any other Beatles mix for that matter. But now that a new version is on the way there's been a certain amount of Revolver bashing going on as people try to justify why a new mix is needed. I guess that's to be expected. But it has gotten a bit out of hand in some quarters.

I know most complaints were on the US version of the album missing songs. I always enjoyed the Japan mono mix.