Is MoFi really been using digital sources all along??!!

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
rtbcIII

Re: Is MoFi really been using digital sources all along??!!

Post by rtbcIII »

Is the answer more truth in labeling?

ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

For some reason I'm reminded of the stories about those "free range" chickens that get sold for a premium in supermarkets. The only reason people pay more for them is because they imagine that their chicken dinner had already lived a long and happy life wandering around the wide open spaces eating worms. The reality is that they are so fat and unwieldy that the best they can manage is to drag themselves a few feet from their cage, but under the law since the door of the cage is open they are somehow "free range".

Buyer beware as they say. Remember that in the end, anyone who is making money off you is lying to you in some way.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
PaulsBrokenaGlass

Post by PaulsBrokenaGlass »

It's weird to me that they bothered to lie about it. Their releases still sound great though and as someone mentioned earlier just shows analogue vs digital isn't as compelling an argument as some like to make it.
Tex

Post by Tex »

I picture thousands of analog fanatics now listening to these MFSL LP and sudden realizing they sound "digital" and throwing them away. :roll:
jpgrcat007

Post by jpgrcat007 »

I'm pretty sure The Beatles were Analog 1978-1982 period

Honestly, if it was done digitally, I hope they used 24/192 as the Master

I think it was after the company changed hands

The Universal Fire was a disgrace, as Roofers left & the fire started

A lot of Masters were destroyed...& Masters or sub-masters should be stored properly

The Beatles Masters are at Abbey Road, & I think possibly at Capitol Records

Bryan Adams has trouble finding his Masters due to the fire, & luckily he kept

some of his working Tapes
SeaofGreen

Post by SeaofGreen »

the whole thing is honestly hilarious
billylentz

Post by billylentz »

To me, the question of actual analog masters sounding better or worse than masters with some digital element is irrelevant. It´s also irrelevant if Mobile Fidelity albums still sound great, which of course they do.

I think we´ve all come to the point of knowing the actual sound depends of several factors and is subjective.

Who enjoys a Mobile Fidelity edition is searching not only for optimal sound quality, but also for that inner satisfaction of knowing something has been done in a specific way. Since it´s impossible to know that from the listening alone, one has to trust reliable sources.

The greatest item Mobile Fidelity had to offer has never been sound quality, but trust, reliability.

They have just thrown that away.
skynet

Post by skynet »

billylentz wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:26 am To me, the question of actual analog masters sounding better or worse than masters with some digital element is irrelevant. It´s also irrelevant if Mobile Fidelity albums still sound great, which of course they do.

I think we´ve all come to the point of knowing the actual sound depends of several factors and is subjective.

Who enjoys a Mobile Fidelity edition is searching not only for optimal sound quality, but also for that inner satisfaction of knowing something has been done in a specific way. Since it´s impossible to know that from the listening alone, one has to trust reliable sources.

The greatest item Mobile Fidelity had to offer has never been sound quality, but trust, reliability.

They have just thrown that away.
i am of the same opinion, sadly, i mean... that trust was their main sale point... so much for that "warm analog sound from MoFi transfers"
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

PaulsBrokenaGlass wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:46 pm It's weird to me that they bothered to lie about it. Their releases still sound great though and as someone mentioned earlier just shows analogue vs digital isn't as compelling an argument as some like to make it.
Well, I think they lied to get more sales.

I'm not saying that their DSD dubs of analogue sound any different to the actual analogue tape, but a largish portion of thyeir customer base would have said, "No thanks! Not interested!"

There's also the implication that these discs were somehow special because you could only play the master tape so many times before damaging it, and that is why the pressing runs are low. In light of that, someone had a real brain lapse when they decided to announce 40,000 forthcoming copies of Thriller. Duh. Even the bluntest tool in the shed could do the maths on that one! :lol:

I agree with billylentz and skynet. It is the loss of trust and reliability that is so damaging. If I buy an organically grown apple, I don't expect to get one that is 'just as good as an organically grown apple' even if it tastes exactly the same.