Ringo's "Vertical Man"

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
mojofilter

Ringo's "Vertical Man"

Post by mojofilter »

I bought the Japanese CD of this album in 1998, because it has an extra track unavailable elsewhere. It's still in the shrink wrap. Should I open it? I have never heard anything from this album. Was it any good? I mean, if it's like "Bad Boy" then I'll be better off never hearing it. But I'm serious, is it a good album that I'll enjoy? I have to admit that I bought Ringo albums after Apple closed down for no other reason than that they exist, though I've never listened to any of them all the way through. What are your opinions on this album?
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
Mrbeatleg

Re: Ringo's "Vertical Man"

Post by Mrbeatleg »

the Japanese version should contain 2 bonus tracks

Bonus tracks on Japanese release
No. Title
14. "Mr. Double-It-Up"
15. "Everyday"

both are good in my opinion
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

Oh, right, two tracks that were unavailable elsewhere. What do you think of the rest?
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
Feromount

Post by Feromount »

Besides the two songs George plays in. (those being King of Broken Hearts and I'll Be Fine Anywhere). It's not particularly interesting. There are some clever ideas in songs like Without Understanding, Puppet, and I'm Yours, but they fall flat on their faces.

I think Ringo Rama, the album proceeding it, while sounding like a children's rock album at times and having a few awkward lyrics, has a lot of strong songs. And when it attempts to sound like The Beatles (which is all the time since it's a modern Ringo album) it actually succeeds.
applebonkerz

Post by applebonkerz »

Ringo Rama was two albums after Vertical Man -- and in my opinion, if you were only to listen to one Ringo album that wasn't made in the 70's on Apple, Ringo Rama should be that choice.

Vertical Man is basically half of a decent album. I'd probably put it in third place of the post-Apple albums: Rama, Time Takes Time, then Vertical Man. It is infinitely better than albums like Bad Boy.

Mr. Double-It-Up was available on the U.S. Best Buy bonus disc with two other exclusive bonus tracks--Sometimes and Good News. Only "Everyday" was exclusive to that Japan disc.
Last edited by applebonkerz on Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
dascottjr

Post by dascottjr »

To me, the albums that Ringo did with Mark Hudson were consistently enjoyable. My favorite is still Vertical Man, though. So many more highs than lows, but also a good general vibe throughout. Perhaps I was still on a high from the Anthology and Flaming Pie, but there you go. The only album from that period that I was truly disappointed by was "Liverpool 8", which was only partly produced by Hudson anyway.
billylentz

Post by billylentz »

mojofilter wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:46 pm I bought the Japanese CD of this album in 1998, because it has an extra track unavailable elsewhere. It's still in the shrink wrap. Should I open it? I have never heard anything from this album. Was it any good? I mean, if it's like "Bad Boy" then I'll be better off never hearing it. But I'm serious, is it a good album that I'll enjoy? I have to admit that I bought Ringo albums after Apple closed down for no other reason than that they exist, though I've never listened to any of them all the way through. What are your opinions on this album?
Yes; you should hear it. It´s gorgeous.

Besides, you get great guest performances by George, Paul and several great artists such as Steve Tyler, Tom Petty, Alanis Morissette, Ozzy Osbourne and Brian Wilson. The backing band is awesome, songwritting is top notch, production is great. Several incredible songs, such as "La de da", "What in the world", "One" and many others. In addition, the bonus tracks from this era are great too.
Phil_Lip

Post by Phil_Lip »

I love all the albums did with Mark Hudson including Vertical Man. They are always a fun listen and made before Autotune ruined Ringo's voice on later albums. You should look out for the other bonus tracks around at the time, Sometimes and Good News.
Most of my links are to OneDrive. However, OneDrive does impose a download limit and when this is reached displays a message that the files are deleted or have expired. Leave it a while and try again later.
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

mojofilter wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:46 pm I bought the Japanese CD of this album in 1998, because it has an extra track unavailable elsewhere. It's still in the shrink wrap. Should I open it? I have never heard anything from this album. Was it any good? I mean, if it's like "Bad Boy" then I'll be better off never hearing it. But I'm serious, is it a good album that I'll enjoy? I have to admit that I bought Ringo albums after Apple closed down for no other reason than that they exist, though I've never listened to any of them all the way through. What are your opinions on this album?
Seems a shame to break the seal when you've kept it intact all these years.

If I was you I'd just grab a rip of it from somewhere online...if you have the Soul to Seek it out!
dannysonar

Post by dannysonar »

"Vertical Man" is to me, Ringo's best album along with "Ringo". Seriously.
I think I even have listened more to "Vertical Man" than "Ringo". It's the best of all the Mark Hudson-produced albums, because the recipe was new at the time.
And there are some very, very good, solid songs. "One", "What in the world", "King of broken hearts", "Vertical man", "La de da"... 2/3 of the album, I'd say. You have Paul and George on it, and their contributions are hearable and enjoyable. And Brian Wilson, Steven Tyler, Alanis Morissette...
No comparison with "Bad boy" or the sad Autotuned stuff he's been releasing for the last 10 years. "Vertical man"'s worst song would be a highlight on any of his recent albums.
I don't know if you need to unseal your copy, but you do need to hear it one way or another.