The Beatles 'Get Back' Blu-ray Full Review + Breaking News

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Patrick Healy

Re: The Beatles 'Get Back' Blu-ray Full Review + Breaking News

Post by Patrick Healy »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:25 pm
Patrick Healy wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:41 am They said in the original get back announcement that a rerelease of Let it be would follow.
Not sure how get back being on Blu-ray is supposed to negate that.
They've been saying for 20 years there's a LIB release coming so I don't pay much attention to those statements myself.
You certainly have a point but I would argue that informal statements and leaks is different to a statement in the official Get Back announcement post after it was already going to happen.
What I'm saying is I agree with everything you're saying but I don't understand why they would officially, formally make that announcement alongside Get Back and then, unlike Get Back, just abandon it.
So I still have hope.
P.S. If you have any official statements from years gone by that the let it be film will be released then that changes the situation.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Patrick Healy wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:03 pm You certainly have a point but I would argue that informal statements and leaks is different to a statement in the official Get Back announcement post after it was already going to happen.
What I'm saying is I agree with everything you're saying but I don't understand why they would officially, formally make that announcement alongside Get Back and then, unlike Get Back, just abandon it.
So I still have hope.
P.S. If you have any official statements from years gone by that the let it be film will be released then that changes the situation.
I certainly hope I'm wrong. I'm not all that interested in it myself but those who have been clamouring for it for decades deserve better.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

I can't find any kind of official release note with regards to the Let It Be film. Everything I've drummed up has been rumor-based.
The only "official" anything I can see has to do with the re-release of the Let It Be album across several formats last year. But nothing about the film.

Get Back has completely supplanted Let It Be.

Does anyone have anything official that portends the imminent release of Let It Be? Links?
Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

In the original Get Back press release
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

This is the original Get Back Press Release, as posted on the Beatles Bible website, just so we're talking about the same thing here.
https://www.beatlesbible.com/2020/03/11 ... mber-2020/

The teaser for a possible Let It Be re-release comes in the final line of the press release. "...made available at a later date," to me, does not translate as "imminent."

This is a classic bait-and-switch. There is no specific promise made. And as far as anyone at the top is concerned, Get Back is pretty much as restored (and revised) a version of Let It Be as we will ever see. Restored, in this case, refers to the restorative work on the picture and audio of the original hours and hours of footage.

Pessimism on my part? I'll give you that. That is further bolstered by the trotting out of the varied deluxe packages of the original Let It Be album unaccompanied by a release of any version of the film. Yeah, I hold no optimism for an impending release of the Let It Be film.

I would certainly welcome it, though. And it would make an excellent addition to the collection. But I don't hold out hope for it.

"BURBANK, Calif. (March 11, 2020)—The Walt Disney Studios has acquired the worldwide distribution rights to acclaimed filmmaker Peter Jackson’s previously announced Beatles documentary. The film will showcase the warmth, camaraderie and humor of the making of the legendary band’s studio album, “Let It Be,” and their final live concert as a group, the iconic rooftop performance on London’s Savile Row. “The Beatles: Get Back” will be released by The Walt Disney Studios in the United States and Canada on September 4, 2020, with additional details and dates for the film’s global release to follow. The announcement was made earlier today by Robert A. Iger, Executive Chairman, The Walt Disney Company, at Disney’s annual meeting of shareholders.
“No band has had the kind of impact on the world that The Beatles have had, and ‘The Beatles: Get Back’ is a front-row seat to the inner workings of these genius creators at a seminal moment in music history, with spectacularly restored footage that looks like it was shot yesterday,” says Iger of the announcement. “I’m a huge fan myself, so I could not be happier that Disney is able to share Peter Jackson’s stunning documentary with global audiences in September.”

“The Beatles: Get Back,” presented by The Walt Disney Studios in association with shoppingmode Apple Corps Ltd. and WingNut Films Productions Ltd., is an exciting new collaboration between The Beatles, the most influential band of all time, and three-time Oscar®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson (“The Lord of the Rings” trilogy). Compiled from over 55 hours of unseen footage, filmed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg in 1969, and 140 hours of mostly unheard audio recordings from the “Let It Be” album sessions, “The Beatles: Get Back” is directed by Jackson and produced by Jackson, Clare Olssen (“They Shall Not Grow Old”) and Jonathan Clyde, with Ken Kamins and Apple Corps’ Jeff Jones serving as executive producers.

The footage has been brilliantly restored by Park Road Post Production of Wellington, New Zealand, and is being edited by Jabez Olssen, who collaborated with Jackson on 2018’s “They Shall Not Grow Old,” the groundbreaking film which featured restored and colorized World War I archival footage. The music in the film will be mixed by Giles Martin and Sam Okell at Abbey Road Studios in London. With this pristine restoration behind it, “The Beatles: Get Back” will create a vivid, joyful and immersive experience for audiences.

Peter Jackson says, “Working on this project has been a joyous discovery. I’ve been privileged to be a fly on the wall while the greatest band of all time works, plays and creates masterpieces. I’m thrilled that Disney have stepped up as our distributor. There’s no one better to have our movie seen by the greatest number of people.”

Paul McCartney says, “I am really happy that Peter has delved into our archives to make a film that shows the truth about The Beatles recording together. The friendship and love between us comes over and reminds me of what a crazily beautiful time we had.”

Ringo Starr says, “I’m really looking forward to this film. Peter is great and it was so cool looking at all this footage. There was hours and hours of us just laughing and playing music, not at all like the version that came out. There was a lot of joy and I think Peter will show that. I think this version will be a lot more peace and loving, like we really were.”

“The Beatles: Get Back” is also being made with the enthusiastic support of Yoko Ono Lennon and Olivia Harrison.

Although the original “Let It Be” film, directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg, and the accompanying album were filmed and recorded in January 1969, they were not released until May 1970, three weeks after The Beatles had officially broken up. The response to the film at the time by audiences and critics alike was strongly associated with that announcement. During the 15-month gap between the filming of “Let It Be” and its launch, The Beatles recorded and released their final studio album, “Abbey Road,” which came out in September 1969.

Shot on 16mm and blown up to 35mm, the 80-minute “Let It Be” movie was built around the three weeks of filming, including an edited version of the rooftop concert. The GRAMMY®-winning “Let It Be” album topped the charts in the U.S. and the U.K.

The new documentary brings to light much more of the band’s intimate recording sessions for “Let It Be” and their entire 42-minute performance on the rooftop of shoppingmode Apple’s Savile Row London office. While there is no shortage of material of The Beatles’ extensive touring earlier in their careers, “The Beatles: Get Back” features the only notable footage of the band at work in the studio, capturing John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr as they create their now-classic songs from scratch, laughing, bantering and playing to the camera.

Shot on January 30, 1969, The Beatles’ surprise rooftop concert marked the band’s first live performance in over two years and their final live set together. The footage captures interactions between the band members, reactions from fans and employees from nearby businesses, and comical attempts to stop the concert by two young London policemen responding to noise complaints.

A fully restored version of the original “Let It Be” film will be made available at a later date."
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Yeah, Apple's big problem is that they tend to put things aside and then they become neglected. A volume 2 of BBC titles took 19 years, even though it is obvious to anyone that it would have sold infinitely more copies if it had been released in the 90s. A well known person authored a two volume vhs set of all their promos in the early 90s, with synched and remixed stereo soundtracks, which just got put aside and eventually forgotten about. In fact there is a parallel there with Get Back, because there you also have a more polished product (Anthology) supplanting the original concept. The Shea concert didn't get bundled with the Ron Howard film and then just got left behind in the too hard basket.

I don't like sounding pessimistic but we need to have a perspective on these things so that we don't become desperately disappointed at every turn. With Apple, everything is in a state of limbo until overwhelming forces finally push it out into the public sphere. They don't release things lightly - everything it seems has to be an incredible ordeal. :cry:
Gredel21

Post by Gredel21 »

Peter Jackson has pointed out that Disney and Apple are hesitant in releasing any extended cut of the Get Back project with 4 to 5 hours extended footage.
Too bad Peter cant offer the extended footage via his webpage
a real shame Disney and Apple has to wait till all of the inner circle are gone and most of the fans who did grow up with the fab four are left with memories and lost hope of seeing or hearing anything new

Greg
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:24 pm Apple's big problem is that they tend to put things aside and then they become neglected.

I don't like sounding pessimistic but we need to have a perspective on these things so that we don't become desperately disappointed at every turn. With Apple, everything is in a state of limbo until overwhelming forces finally push it out into the public sphere. They don't release things lightly - everything it seems has to be an incredible ordeal.
They need to market the band as if they were a current entity.
Retro-hype is slightly disrespectful to a band that keeps the industry afloat.
These guys ain't normal. They defy all Laws Of Nature.
KC