Any love for Two Virgins?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Kwai Chang

Re: Any love for Two Virgins?

Post by Kwai Chang »

mojofilter wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:27 pm I listened to it once, to remove the vinyl scratches from its CD issue on some grey-market release. I swear it felt like taking one for the team.
I don't think that having a nice, clean copy that didn't originate from a needledrop from a poor-condition LP would have made it any more appealing to me.
I've had a copy of the LP since the 1970s, but it's unplayed. Don't get your hopes up, it's probably a pirate.
About half of the copies I have seen are excessively worn from normal usage! That is absolute madness. The rest of them look unplayed. I personally don't like knowing that this album cover took the industry even farther into gimmickdom! Unfinished LP Cover: Two Virgins. Is the record even supposed to be played? AND for such a strong first time out...it's a crime how crudely the front cover photo was trimmed with scissors at the bottom edge. Is there anything more naked than half a right foot! Don't forget, the original UK supply offered a mono edition. It might be the rarest John Lennon album to collect!
KC
zappaf78

Post by zappaf78 »

Not sure WHY.. but has anyone tried to demix it? Try to remove the "music" to hear the complete dialogue?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

zappaf78 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:09 am Not sure WHY.. but has anyone tried to demix it? Try to remove the "music" to hear the complete dialogue?
Life is too short! :lol:
Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

I was on the way home from a secondary school trip to York yesterday, I had 6 hours on the noisy coach and loads of data.
I put my headphones on and listened to it in full having heard none of it before.
And then I browsed the internet whilst listening and made this post!
Gringo557

Post by Gringo557 »

Ziggy C wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:38 am I personally can't stand this album. I've given it multiple chances. I don't consider it crap. It certainly has a place in the grand pantheon. It's just not my bag. I prefer the bonus track, "Remember Love."

On a tangential note, I do appreciate and get into John's mix-tape mind movies. Some of them aired on Lost Lennon Tapes. That stuff is a trip.

But Two Virgins (and Life With The Lions, for that matter) does nothing for me except inspire me to turn it off.
Remember Love is a beautiful track.
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

I really like Remember Love too. When I was a small child in the mid70s a friend had a toy that played a music box version of Remember Love. Obviously I didn't realise it was a Yoko song back then but recognised it instantly the 1st time I played the single it was a B side too.

Wish I could remember what the toy was but I can't
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

MarkRJones1970 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:14 pm I really like Remember Love too. When I was a small child in the mid70s a friend had a toy that played a music box version of Remember Love. Obviously I didn't realise it was a Yoko song back then but recognised it instantly the 1st time I played the single it was a B side too.

You sure the tune wasn't just Dominique?

That tune was everywhere back in the day. My gran had a music box which played it and the first time I heard RL it reminded me of that.
Gringo557

Post by Gringo557 »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:39 pm
MarkRJones1970 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:14 pm I really like Remember Love too. When I was a small child in the mid70s a friend had a toy that played a music box version of Remember Love. Obviously I didn't realise it was a Yoko song back then but recognised it instantly the 1st time I played the single it was a B side too.

That tune was everywhere back in the day. My gran had a music box which played it and the first time I heard RL it reminded me of that.
Remember Love is also one of just a handful of songs that use the "Julia" fingerpicking style (Dear Prudence, Look At Me, Everyone Had A Hard Year demo, etc.)
beatlbay

Post by beatlbay »

I am still waiting for Sean to remix and upgrade Two Virgins, Life With The Lions, and The Wedding Album for their respective box sets. Then again, I might just settle for the "highlights" cassette from all three that will be issued on "Record Store Day". Of course, I will have to buy 10 different colored cassettes......... wait a minute, we are talking Lennon estate not a real live Mccartney grab.

Nevermind, for what it was, Two Virgins was John and Yoko's failed attempt at avant-garbage, resulting in two stoned goofballs mental masturbation... or John was just plain horny and this was his feeble attempt at impressing his new girlfriend.
MarkRJones1970

Post by MarkRJones1970 »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:39 pm

Nah. I just had a listen to it. Deffo wasn't that, it was Remember Love.
Mark R. Cobley-Jones
Manchester, UK