Official Album SURVIVOR (FINAL Round!)

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.

Pick your LEAST FAVORITE from the list below

Poll ended at Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:45 pm

Revolver
39%
The Beatles
61%

Total votes: 71

powerPC

Re: Official Album SURVIVOR (Round 5)

Post by powerPC »

Looks like PPM is going to bite the dust this week. WoW! I did not expect it to fall so soon... 8-)
—Keith
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

powerPC wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:43 pm Looks like PPM is going to bite the dust this week. WoW! I did not expect it to fall so soon... 8-)
What surprises me is the fact that MMT and Help! Are so close. I love MMT, even the US edition (I still have my UK EPs) but the US Help! doesn’t stand up to the original mix (and of course the DA one)
Yves
BeatleG

Post by BeatleG »

This polling has really got me thinking and I’m enjoying reading the replies. I’m thinking that maybe the younger members of the group are more likely to not give the early album PPM as much respect as some of us older members. I’m 69 and the difference in excitement being generated by the quality of Beatles songs was startling compared with their contemporaries. Yes, great hits were being released by other artists such as the Beach Boys in America and various groups a bit later in England, but many of the LPs being released had a song or two or maybe three that were really memorable enough for play after play. Whereas the Beatles were making some original fabulous tracks and the covers they made their own. At the time, I didn’t really pay attention to what was an original and what was a cover. I just loved the songs. The Beatles had a couple of tracks on PPM that always seemed like filler for me (Boys, A Taste of Honey) Not bad value for someone like me who was still at the stage of needing to talk my parents into buying me the occasional album or my using my allowance to buy 45’s . (Sometimes I even bought discount 45’s on the Hit label due to limited resources. Some were done pretty good. I wonder if some of those artists ever hit it big?) My point is that maybe because the band took leaps and bounds and brought rock and roll into the future, increasing rock’s maturity so quickly that some of the songs could be hits even today, the younger Beatles lovers amongst us didn’t have the advantage of feeling that initial thrill of the early albums as they were first coming out so they didn’t have quite the same impact and so that colors how much they enjoy the early material. Just speculation. Mr Shears, does the program you have been using for the poll have a button that can tie the voter to their ages to generate statistics? Seems I remember giving my age when I joined but I’m not sure. Might be interesting. In any event, the poll is good fun and I thank you for letting me join in.
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Post by WilliamShears »

BeatleG wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:27 am Mr Shears, does the program you have been using for the poll have a button that can tie the voter to their ages to generate statistics? Seems I remember giving my age when I joined but I’m not sure. Might be interesting. In any event, the poll is good fun and I thank you for letting me join in.
No way to break out the data by ages since not too many people have filled in their age.

As a kid (in the 90s) I was a big fan of their later stuff. The older I get the more I appreciate the miracle sounds these guys made when they were in their very early 20s, and the early albums plus LRs BBC sets have a much higher standing for me than I would ever have thought back then.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

BeatleG wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:27 am Yes, great hits were being released by other artists such as the Beach Boys in America and various groups a bit later in England, but many of the LPs being released had a song or two or maybe three that were really memorable enough for play after play.
The first Beach Boys album had one, maybe two minor hits on it: Surfin' and Surfin' Safari. Many bands which had a big hit single, also had fairly lackluster first albums which followed. Sometimes that was their only album. The Beatles first album in America was Meet The Beatles. It had I Want To Hold Your Hand as the first song. I dug that album. As I went through the process of enjoying the rest of their catalog, I learned that the US albums were drastically different. So in that respect, their first album was awesome as compared to their contemporaries. The Early Beatles was the album that kind of mirrored Please Please Me. The band playing those songs sounds like an embryonic version of The band we've come to know and love.

Think of a lot of the bands from the 1950's: Danny & The Juniors, The Monotones, The Silhouettes, etc. They had, like only one big song. The rest of their album had songs which had beats and riffs that resembled that hit, but were not quite "there." Some of The Big Bopper's songs had his signature laugh and "Hellooo Baaaaby" but did not fire on all cylinders. Many of the bands, it seemed, wrote the same song over and over. The one we get to hear all the time on oldies radio is the one which hits the bullseye.
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Re: Official Album SURVIVOR (Round 6)

Post by WilliamShears »

Round 6 is live, goodbye PPM…
progdude

Post by progdude »

MMT
wardo

Post by wardo »

Thanks for doing this, Mr. Shears.
In case nobody's suggested it, maybe future polls could entail American albums, solo albums, single-disc White Album, etc.
I like polls!
Feromount

Post by Feromount »

Woah, Hard Day's Night is taking the lead. Honestly, I'm surprised that Help! is still around. My opinion is that the "filler" on AHDN (When I Get Home, I'll Be Back, You Can't Do That) is better than the "filler" on Help! (You Like Me Too Much, Tell Me What You See, I Need You)
Fast lucky

Post by Fast lucky »

BeatleG wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:27 am This polling has really got me thinking and I’m enjoying reading the replies. I’m thinking that maybe the younger members of the group are more likely to not give the early album PPM as much respect as some of us older members. I’m 69 and the difference in excitement being generated by the quality of Beatles songs was startling compared with their contemporaries. Yes, great hits were being released by other artists such as the Beach Boys in America and various groups a bit later in England, but many of the LPs being released had a song or two or maybe three that were really memorable enough for play after play. Whereas the Beatles were making some original fabulous tracks and the covers they made their own. At the time, I didn’t really pay attention to what was an original and what was a cover. I just loved the songs. The Beatles had a couple of tracks on PPM that always seemed like filler for me (Boys, A Taste of Honey) Not bad value for someone like me who was still at the stage of needing to talk my parents into buying me the occasional album or my using my allowance to buy 45’s . (Sometimes I even bought discount 45’s on the Hit label due to limited resources. Some were done pretty good. I wonder if some of those artists ever hit it big?) My point is that maybe because the band took leaps and bounds and brought rock and roll into the future, increasing rock’s maturity so quickly that some of the songs could be hits even today, the younger Beatles lovers amongst us didn’t have the advantage of feeling that initial thrill of the early albums as they were first coming out so they didn’t have quite the same impact and so that colors how much they enjoy the early material. Just speculation. Mr Shears, does the program you have been using for the poll have a button that can tie the voter to their ages to generate statistics? Seems I remember giving my age when I joined but I’m not sure. Might be interesting. In any event, the poll is good fun and I thank you for letting me join in.
I was talking to a friend old enough to go to London in the late sixties, early seventies. I became a fan well after the breakup and shortly before Wings demise. Completely different experiences. The Batles were long gone when I got into them. While I completely enjoy the early years, I am much more enclined to the later years. But my friend told me that I did not realize what it was when Beatlemania exploded. And it is true that you cannot compare the other groups to the Beatles even in their early years. This confirms your thoughts. What amazes me is their musical growth. The difference from one album to the next one was huge. And so were their hair :lol: How many groups could claim the same ? None. It is already an achievement if you can develop your own sound, but the Beatles went on and on, growing so fast. It is incredible how they learned and improved their craft so fast.