Official Album SURVIVOR (FINAL Round!)

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.

Pick your LEAST FAVORITE from the list below

Poll ended at Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:45 pm

Revolver
39%
The Beatles
61%

Total votes: 71

Fast lucky

Re: Official Album SURVIVOR (Round 6)

Post by Fast lucky »

wardo wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:15 pm Thanks for doing this, Mr. Shears.
In case nobody's suggested it, maybe future polls could entail American albums, solo albums, single-disc White Album, etc.
I like polls!
I understand that you may be more familliar with the American albums but it doesn't make as much sense since Capitol made a mess and mixed recordings from different sessions. But then it is only a poll...
wardo

Post by wardo »

Fast lucky wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:24 pmI understand that you may be more familliar with the American albums but it doesn't make as much sense since Capitol made a mess and mixed recordings from different sessions. But then it is only a poll...
The American albums, flawed as they are, are how that country learned about the Beatles in the first place. After all, it was the American Rubber Soul that inspired Brian Wilson to make Pet Sounds. After all, it's only a poll.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

I think A Hard Day's Night was one of their finest, and certainly on the the best John Lennon albums. There was no stopping him in 1964. I hate to see it bow out early, but later-album bias is a thing I guess.
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

Help and AHDN are neck and neck for elimination. But still they're 2 GREAT albums... 8-)
—Keith
dumbchops

Post by dumbchops »

I had to go with HELP! over AHDN. The former has some weak songs on the second side ("You Like Me Too Much", "Tell Me What You See", etc.) but could have been made better by including "Yes It Is" and maybe even a finalized version of "That Means A Lot". AHDN on the other hand is one very strong track after another. It could probably have used one more song maybe. Having grown up with the US albums until CDs came along, I was a huge fan of Something New growing up especially the stereo version with added reverb.
My full name is Uncle Capt. "Skipper" Dumbchops and I seem to have misplaced my electric pretzel sharpener.
progdude

Post by progdude »

MMT
progdude

Post by progdude »

MMT
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

Looks like the three remaining soundtracks are on the block. Of the three, I like Help! the best. Pot experimentation. Very catchy songs from the film. Even the other tunes on the album. The lesser tunes such as It's Only Love, which Lennon hated. It's a great song! The only weak ones IMO are You Like Me Too Much and Tell Me What You See.
A Hard Day's Night captures the studio reflection of Beatlemania. Another batch of awesome songs. It's a toss up for me really some days between AHDN and Help!

MMT has some really psychedelic-drenched nuggets. And the title track is still one of my favorite Beatle songs of all time. But overall, there's something a bit off. Your Mother Should Know comes off as a throw-away. Strawberry Fields Forever has always sounded to me just a bit too weird and off. And tainting the whole proceedings is the movie/TV special which still does nothing for me except offer up a few music video showcases for a few songs. Maybe if I turned off the color and watched it, I'd finally understand what the folks who originally watched it had to endure.

A good movie or album should not have to be an endurance contest.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

I just dropped in to see what condition my voter registration was in.
I was going to vote days ago...thought it would be a cinch.
No dice. That's because as i went for the button, I had a change of heart.
I am voting to remove the HELP album.
I had intended to vote for the MMT's elimination.
I have a much higher regard for MMT, now.
I will share it soon.
HELP is not a bad movie. It is well made.
It is a bit of a torture though. It is a spoof of James Bond movies and as such,
pure fluff that exploits bright colors and locales. But that's not enough since the group can't
hide their own boredom. What a drag to know that they weren't brave enough to replace Dick Lester or Victor Spinetti.
The script wasn't even good. But the music was top notch. The record carried the movie. And it could have been worse.
But, it's too early in their career to be riding their own coattails. Which means, they certainly had the right title!
Why not add two more letters ('HELP US') and now Klang's idea about raffle tickets could have distracted the agony that it
was. A musical root canal that longed for Wilfrid Brambell as a dentist. File under: A Spanner In The Gorble.
In reality, the world couldn't get enough Beatles. In retrospect, it is amazing that it was watchable at all.
Goodbye Richard, Victor and the Spinsters!
KC
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Ziggy C wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:54 pm Looks like the three remaining soundtracks are on the block. Of the three, I like Help! the best. Pot experimentation. Very catchy songs from the film. Even the other tunes on the album. The lesser tunes such as It's Only Love, which Lennon hated. It's a great song! The only weak ones IMO are You Like Me Too Much and Tell Me What You See.
A Hard Day's Night captures the studio reflection of Beatlemania. Another batch of awesome songs. It's a toss up for me really some days between AHDN and Help!

MMT has some really psychedelic-drenched nuggets. And the title track is still one of my favorite Beatle songs of all time. But overall, there's something a bit off. Your Mother Should Know comes off as a throw-away. Strawberry Fields Forever has always sounded to me just a bit too weird and off. And tainting the whole proceedings is the movie/TV special which still does nothing for me except offer up a few music video showcases for a few songs. Maybe if I turned off the color and watched it, I'd finally understand what the folks who originally watched it had to endure.

A good movie or album should not have to be an endurance contest.
I will just say...MMT is a bit OFF. A Hard Day's night is a close race (musically) with HELP.
If the two are exactly equal, then HELP is useless, and AHDN is is genius for having been first.
A Hard Day's Night will become more relevant with every passing second. HELP is already forgotten.
Yet, all is not lost. HELP obliged a contractual obligation. That could have been too demanding and many prices could have been paid.
I'm glad that we got a great album out of the deal.
MMT is another matter altogether. I'll be back soon to explain what I only just realized about it.
It might just 'help' the plight we're in.
(to choose is to lose)
Tell the others!
KC