Official Album SURVIVOR (FINAL Round!)

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.

Pick your LEAST FAVORITE from the list below

Poll ended at Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:45 pm

Revolver
39%
The Beatles
61%

Total votes: 71

Patrick Healy

Re: Official Album SURVIVOR (Round 8)

Post by Patrick Healy »

First to vote, went for The Beatles.
Golem

Re: Official Album SURVIVOR (Round 3)

Post by Golem »

Golem wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:11 am Welp, guess I'm gonna be voting for AHDN for the next few weeks
It's been over a month of voting for it, but I can finally vote for AHDN for the last time!
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Round 8 - As this week seems to be easy...the next week will be exponentially more difficult.
For all that can be said for delivering your lines on paper, on cue, on the mark, on demand, on budget, on your third album, to try a new realm and a movie was the result...it still seems to be unnecessary abuse to put yourself through. Was any Beatle planning to cross over to acting? I always wonder about the music that might have taken different directions if they had just made records. And they did make a strong album that could have carried the movie but didn't have to. The album after this would make the movie fatigue a commodity. And, I guess their natural ability made Beatles Movies a commodity even in a saturated market. All songs were Beatles originals but all have the extruded feel of identity loss. What I mean is that this batch of songs, could be strung in any order with no effective difference in album flow!
But, nobody's listening and at least John will have published his second book before the next acting effort.
Thanks for your time!
KC
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

So we're gonna say buh-bye to AHDN this week. That is, unless there's a severe (and highly suspect) uptick in votes for Revolver.

Personally, I think The White Album should go next. It's not really a Beatles album. There's very little in the way of collaboration between Lennon-McCartney. And the whole thing should've been trimmed down and would've fit nicely on a single LP. What songs would I bail on? I suppose that might make a nice separate thread. But I would get rid of the obvious ones:
Revolution #9
Wild Honey Pie
Martha My Dear
Long Long Long
Good Night
Why Don't We Do It In The Road
Cry Baby Cry
and some others....
BeatleG

Post by BeatleG »

Ziggy C,

I used to think they should have got it down to one LP also. But I've decided I'm glad all the songs exist. Hardly any double album can have no what sometimes seems like filler. (One exception I can think of Pink Floyd's "The Wall".) All The White Album songs have something to offer. For example, Paul's "Martha My Dear" is endearing. "Wild Honey Pie" is, well wild and the unexpected from the Beatles is expected, including "Revolution #9", experimentation that likely influenced other bands to show rock albums can incorporate any style, making listening more expansive and interesting. And, "Long Long Long" can seem long but it's creative and thought provoking. Also, I happen to love "Cry Baby Cry".

My choices to take off the White Album for reducing to one LP:
Good Night
Julia
Don't Pass Me By
Why Don't We Do it in the Road
Wild Honey Pie
Piggies
Mother Nature's Son
Everybody's Got...
Revolution #9
Can You Take Me Back

and if one more needs to be dropped due to space...hmmm...
The Continuing Story...or I Will...or...Long,long, long

geo
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Re: Official Album SURVIVOR (Round 9)

Post by WilliamShears »

AHDN is out - now it gets more difficult…
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

Abbey Road: too dreary after a couple of listens
The White Albums my fave the whole 100 minutes will never bore me just has so much life.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Round Nine. I voted to remove Sgt. Pepper.
The psychedelic era ended...when the satin uniforms were tailored OR
when you cut out the moustache from the insert included with the LP.
Nothing could be less psychedelic than those examples of self parody.
The music is great and Sonny Liston is on the cover but the only truly new gimmick is that
The Beatles are in character of the fictitious band that has just played at the park.
The Beatles even showed up to watch. The album also contains my favorite Beatles Song:
Within You, Without You! By far, the heaviest music on the disc. The most meaningful message.
This is just a way to prolong the era that was already over. There are some substandard songs to boot.
This is mostly pomp and wardrobe...and really small potatoes compared to the albums made by the non-fictitious group
in 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969. Ambiophony indeed!
We were talking about Managerie Mistakery Tour
To try our best to hold it there...oops! too late Brian
The bus and Aunt Jessie will make it official!
Thanks. WilliamShears!
KC
billylentz

Post by billylentz »

I can´t believe "A hard day´s night" is gone!

I´m gonna be the bad loser here.

Pure Lennon-McCartney epiphany...
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

Hard for me to see Pepper so close to the chopping block... for sentimental reasons it's probably my favorite album (the first Beatles LP I ever listened to all the way through, and in mono, which got me started on my Beatles path in 1977... weird to think that the album was only 10 years old when I first heard it). 8-)
—Keith