Official Album SURVIVOR (FINAL Round!)

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.

Pick your LEAST FAVORITE from the list below

Poll ended at Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:45 pm

Revolver
39%
The Beatles
61%

Total votes: 71

WilliamShears
Site Admin

Re: Official Album SURVIVOR (Round 6)

Post by WilliamShears »

Surprised Help! Is not gonna make it any further. MMT is holding for now..,
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Re: Official Album SURVIVOR (Round 7)

Post by WilliamShears »

Round 7 is live! Help! didn't make the cut!
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

Oh....so it's gonna be that way, is it? My prediction is that there's gonna be a quick and heretofore unheralded crowd surge against Revolver. Gone.

Crickets.
wardo

Post by wardo »

Surprised by all the votes against MMT. It conveniently delivers everything else from 1967 (thanks Capitol!)
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Round 7 and it has come down to what I had already predicted. Although I almost voted for MMT last round, I had a change of heart about MMT.
I think the movie is a cleverly disguised renunciation of psychedelia. I have always considered the movie neurotic. It's everything I have never wanted to do while tripping. But, it is a third variety of Beatles in their psychedelic phase. When they went to the Sgt Pepper launch party at Brian's...John and Paul both look like they are under the lysergic influence. The occasion seemed to be a pleasant and memorable evening. Paul meets Linda et cetera...
Then in August they are in Bangor, Wales. The news of Brian's death had found them. And, a big night at Maharishi's place probably justifies some cosmic adjustment. I say that no less than George and John are blazing. We can't see into Ringo's eyes, and Paul never spoke to the press. I would say that it is very likely that this was the last time either of them took LSD. If all four were on that night, I would say that was the worst experience that they had ever known. Their must have been massive guilt and regret and fear. Could the man be replaced? Let's make a movie and find out. The psychedelic trim all over the MMT movie and its musical soundtrack...is bent with negativity and ambiguity. The funny thing is that The Beatles probably delivered a B&W print for the Boxing Day debut! Just a way of exacting the point. And ironically, back to B&W REVOLVER artwork. MMT is just a decoy since visually it could be called the Menagerie Mistakery Tour. Freaky on any drug! All songs downplay flower power hyperbole. When a man buys a ticket nobody wants to know him flying and lost his way. His mother should NO!!! I am he as you are he as you are me and we are Goo Goo Goo Joob. Hello GOODBYE I mean yes but it's all wrong she feels as if she's in a play How does it feel there's nothing you can do that can't be YIKES! And if you didn't know Psychedelia ended when you cut out the Sgt Pepper moustache, Here's a 24 page comic book! And, I love the album but I never used it for sacramental events. Despite all of that, nothing can save this LP. The Beatles have said goodbye in the sky with diamonds!
The next one to go is also a soundtrack!
KC
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

I'm not surprised that MMT is getting votes. As much as I love it, it's half a compilation and not a true album. Now if we do an Official EP SURVIVOR poll my opinion will be different.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

An EP survivor poll would be limiting. Since a large quotient of this forum is from the US, the EP exposure is minimal. There were only a couple EP's released by Capitol, and another by VeeJay, all in the period of a year. In the UK, EP's were a staple. They were produced, bought, and they even charted. All of the EP songs from the US and UK were included on LP's in the US at the time, effectively rendering the EP as an outlier in the US.

Another thing to consider is that the last UK EP release is MMT; the EP's don't span The Beatles' entire output.

A nice idea. Not shooting it down completely; merely applying a little perspective. I am always interested in how folks perceive the different phases of the Beatles career, and of the relative importance with which people hold the albums. And even with that, it's like the shifting sands for me. Changing from day to day.
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

Always difficult to 'eliminate' any of the Beatles core albums... at the end, I predict the final 2 left standing to fight it out will be Rubber Soul and Revolver (with Revolver probably winning). Just a guess though 8-)
—Keith
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Post by WilliamShears »

This is closest one yet…less than 24 hours left to vote!
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Re: Official Album SURVIVOR (Round 8)

Post by WilliamShears »

Round 8 is live! Goodbye MMT…