Official Album SURVIVOR (FINAL Round!)

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.

Pick your LEAST FAVORITE from the list below

Poll ended at Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:45 pm

Revolver
39%
The Beatles
61%

Total votes: 71

Ziggy C

Re: Official Album SURVIVOR (Round 3)

Post by Ziggy C »

Kwai Chang wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:34 pm
I wanted Let It Be to be eliminated first... They never decided to put it out...Allen Klein did that.

...I've listened to side 2 many more times than side 1. And, that effectively means that the movie carried the album. Let It Be was just the opposite...the album carried the movie!
I like the way John Lennon had put it regarding Let It Be. He said Phil Spector had been overly eager to produce The Beatles. Practically champing at the bit. So they took the Get Back sessions, which had been sitting on the shelf for nearly a year, and, according to Lennon, gave Phil the absolute worst pile of shit to work with and make an album out of. Certainly it was Klein that was the driving force. He'd been tasked with getting money in the bank for the band; especially after the failure that was Apple and the boutique. Paul was wise to Klein from the get-go. He had to break up the band to prove it. But quite the visionary move, eh?

I used to listen to YS all the way through back when I first got it. These days, I think it'd be cool to call in to CC's Breakfast With The Beatles and request Sea Of Time, Sea Of Holes, and Sea Of Monsters. The cool thing is that CC is a huge Beatles fan, and would probably play it if it were requested, and the reason was sincere. Hey, I'm just a bit nostalgic for my childhood and it'd be a gas to hear it on a broadcast.

The thing that separates Beatles For Sale from Beatles '65 (and what elevates '65 for me, anyway,) is the inclusion of I Feel Fine and She's A Woman. Without those two tracks,....it shows the Beatles faltering a little. But it still shines over the other albums released by their contemporaries at the end of '64 and early '65. It blows away Rolling Stones No. 2. It's still better than Kinda Kinks, The Honeycombs, The Five Faces Of Manfred Mann, The Animals, etc; many of which were still mining old American blues for their hits. The Beatles were faltering, yeah,....but their very next album, Help!, put them right back on track. Speaking of which, Bob Dylan had a couple albums at the time which certainly would stand up to the Beatles: Another Side Of Bob Dylan, and Bringing It All Back Home.

I'm tempted to equate Beatles For Sale with their rivals, The Beach Boys, offerings at that time: Little Deuce Coupe and Shut Down Vol. 2. The Beach Boys had a few hits on those albums. But they seemed as if they were coasting, too. Incubating whatever embryonic music hatchling into the next monster of a record, frothing, naked (figuratively,) and ready to take down the world.
MrP

Re: Official Album SURVIVOR (Round 2)

Post by MrP »

109 participate the first round
78 in the second round

wonder if it is going to be a steady decline as this moves forward
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Post by WilliamShears »

MrP wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:09 am 109 participate the first round
78 in the second round

wonder if it is going to be a steady decline as this moves forward
We’ll see…
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

I suspect that interest will peak when the list gets down to the final five.
Golem

Post by Golem »

Welp, guess I'm gonna be voting for AHDN for the next few weeks
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

RIP Let It Be. Great album for me - I cannot understand why people don't like it. Almost every track is a great.

But it's gone, and I'm over it.
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

I still like Beatles For Sale as they could have gone on and made another rocker but the country feel to the album actually shines even though it was the result of been squeezed between tour dates. A nice breather between the rocking albums.
Feromount

Post by Feromount »

Selecting With The Beatles again for this round. I enjoy more songs on Beatles For Sale (No Reply, I'm A Loser, I'll Follow The Sun, Eight Days A Week, Every Little Thing and even What You're Doing to a degree) than I do on With The Beatles (All My Loving, Don't Bother Me, their cover of Money).
Gringo557

Post by Gringo557 »

Megazeti wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:44 am I still like Beatles For Sale as they could have gone on and made another rocker but the country feel to the album actually shines even though it was the result of been squeezed between tour dates. A nice breather between the rocking albums.
I agree. Growth and some fine material.
jpa

Post by jpa »

Gringo557 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:39 pm
Megazeti wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:44 am I still like Beatles For Sale as they could have gone on and made another rocker but the country feel to the album actually shines even though it was the result of been squeezed between tour dates. A nice breather between the rocking albums.
I agree. Growth and some fine material.
I love the country feel too!