Official Album SURVIVOR (FINAL Round!)

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.

Pick your LEAST FAVORITE from the list below

Poll ended at Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:45 pm

Revolver
39%
The Beatles
61%

Total votes: 71

Patrick Healy

Re: Official Album SURVIVOR (Round 1)

Post by Patrick Healy »

dumbchops wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:15 pm So, I can only go with Let It Be because it's the only record I bought in my early discovery days (early 1980's) that I almost felt "ripped off" for buying. To this day, I just can't get into songs like "Two Of Us" (or "Don't Let Me Down" from those same sessions).
I admire you for completing a set (NBS) so chock full of songs you hate! That makes the achievement even more amazing!
Golem

Post by Golem »

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I actually really like YS, I feel like its a bit unfair to judge it as a complete package, so usually I only judge it off of side 1, which to me is all great
dumbchops

Post by dumbchops »

Patrick Healy wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:36 pm
dumbchops wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:15 pm So, I can only go with Let It Be because it's the only record I bought in my early discovery days (early 1980's) that I almost felt "ripped off" for buying. To this day, I just can't get into songs like "Two Of Us" (or "Don't Let Me Down" from those same sessions).
I admire you for completing a set (NBS) so chock full of songs you hate! That makes the achievement even more amazing!
I can't help but feel that those are some of the laziest compositions in their repertoire and too straight forward. On the other hand, when they preview future songs from their solo careers, they really seem to shine above the rest. Captain Hindsight says that they should have shelved the project until they felt more inspired. And yes, NBS was fun to make but finishing the "mono" set seems so unnecessarily uninteresting. If I had my own unique source for those recordings, well then that would change things.
My full name is Uncle Capt. "Skipper" Dumbchops and I seem to have misplaced my electric pretzel sharpener.
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Post by WilliamShears »

Golem wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:50 pm Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I actually really like YS, I feel like its a bit unfair to judge it as a complete package, so usually I only judge it off of side 1, which to me is all great
YS is low hanging fruit for sure. Next week more difficult decisions will need to be made!
moptophugger

Post by moptophugger »

It's sad only people would hate YS because of side 2. Side 2 is just as brilliant as side 1!
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

I don't hate YS. It was one of the doorways through which I started to really get into the Beatles. After discovering and thoroughly playing the heck out of their official catalog, it has the least to offer (me, anyway.) With but four songs, table scraps, it comes off as a meager offering. Granted, their scraps are better than most. I certainly don't hate Only A Northern Song, Hey Bulldog, or Its All Too Much. They're great tracks. Leftovers. But great tracks all the same. Hey Bulldog has been one of my favorite rocking Beatles tunes forever.

As compared to their other official albums, though, YS has far less to offer. But that's only my opinion. I certainly wouldn't knock anyone who digs it.
Golem

Post by Golem »

moptophugger wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:22 am It's sad only people would hate YS because of side 2. Side 2 is just as brilliant as side 1!
True, I think its common for people to hate on some beatles stuff just because they don't enjoy the genre, same thing happens with Revolution 9 or Kisses On the Bottom, and it's a bit unfair because its not really a critique on the actual song or album.
Lon Chaney III

Post by Lon Chaney III »

Had to go for With The Beatles. It has 2, maybe 3, great songs on it. The rest are covers or lesser L/M compositions. It's a tossup between WTB and YS but I love the new songs on YS so yes, it's WTB for me.
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Re: Official Album SURVIVOR (Round 2)

Post by WilliamShears »

Round 2 is live! Yellow Submarine is the first one knocked out. It gets harder from here…
Golem

Re: Official Album SURVIVOR (Round 2)

Post by Golem »

have to go for Let it Be, had so much potential, I love raw stuff, and the idea of a back to basics roots album sounds amazing, the Glyn Johns mix almost fulfills that dream, and is a lot better than the Phil mix IMO, but as for the mix we got it just feels way to edited and overdone.