Official Album SURVIVOR (FINAL Round!)

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.

Pick your LEAST FAVORITE from the list below

Poll ended at Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:45 pm

Revolver
39%
The Beatles
61%

Total votes: 71

Ziggy C

Re: Official Album SURVIVOR (Round 2)

Post by Ziggy C »

I don't think Let It Be is a bad album. It has its moments. I've Got A Feeling, Two Of Us...both of which show the potent combination of Lennon & McCartney working together. That's why my list is a "Best to Not So Best."

At this early stage, though, it becomes easier to see the lower hanging fruit for the next few weeks. Once those are gone, then this poll is really going to heat up. Lots of strong opinions, presented convincingly and perhaps emotionally. And at the end, we'll still have our favorites to play and play again and again.
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

How many more rounds left
MrP

Post by MrP »

Megazeti wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:55 pm How many more rounds left
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

Help! gets my vote for the drop this week. True, it's got some great songs (Yesterday, Help!, You've Got to Hide Your Love Away) but also a lot of weak weak links (Another Girl, You Like Me Too Much, I Need You, Act Naturally) that always make me cringe. More blatant filler here than any other album (even BFS). Taxed with coming up with a batch of new film compositions, the Beatles were tapped out.
Ziggy C

Post by Ziggy C »

Many bands go through these same kinds of growing pains. They've been schlogging it out in the clubs for a few years, with little or no following. Gradually they gain some traction. In the meantime, they have at least a couple/few albums worth of original material that they've accumulated and honed and performed. Then they are "it." They hit it big. The first couple albums have all of the material that they've been polishing during the hungry years. And then....tapped out.

To be continued in another thread...
Gringo557

Post by Gringo557 »

I voted for Please Please Me only because Help! has a better selection of songs on it. That said, Please Please Me is still better than 75% of the albums out there ;)
teegee

Post by teegee »

Having thought about this the issue I have is that I am an old enough git to have listened to all these albums as they they were released.
So many people are now categorising them in retrospect having listening knowledge of them all.
Of the early albums I would eliminate Beatles for Sale but from then on each album shows progress in so many ways and are a reflection of the years they travelled through. In this sense they all have merit for different reasons. I do find it hard to eliminate any of them for they all possess gems and some near misses. I do not profess that every album is so fantastic and better than another but in isolation how do we draw a distinction.

I will not dispute anybody elses opinions or judgements but I am happy to not play the game and appreciate the albums as they are.
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Post by WilliamShears »

I went for Let It Be here too just for the inconsistency aspect. Classics all over the album for sure, like all the others, but the fillers are out of place. I would have preferred Glyn John’s original to the official release just for the more consistent flow.
Kwai Chang

Re: Official Album SURVIVOR (Round 1)

Post by Kwai Chang »

Ziggy C wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:13 pm I don't hate YS. It was one of the doorways through which I started to really get into the Beatles. After discovering and thoroughly playing the heck out of their official catalog, it has the least to offer (me, anyway.) With but four songs, table scraps, it comes off as a meager offering. Granted, their scraps are better than most. I certainly don't hate Only A Northern Song, Hey Bulldog, or Its All Too Much. They're great tracks. Leftovers. But great tracks all the same. Hey Bulldog has been one of my favorite rocking Beatles tunes forever.

As compared to their other official albums, though, YS has far less to offer. But that's only my opinion. I certainly wouldn't knock anyone who digs it.
I wanted Let It Be to be eliminated first. Because the group couldn't face the truth about it for over a year. They never decided to put it out...Allen Klein did that.
The 2nd round: I was going to vote for Yellow Submarine to be eliminated. Why? Literally, it's only half of a Beatles album. And of the six songs, only three seem to belong (George's songs and Hey Bulldog). However, this also happens to be half of a George Martin album. And, it is good enough to redeem both halves. I've listened to side 2 many more times than side 1. And, that effectively means that the movie carried the album. Let It Be was just the opposite...the album carried the movie! I've changed my mind about both Let It Be and Yellow Submarine. Round 2 was a vote against Beatles For Sale...because of the title. It is now a matter of product extrusion. As Roy Carr said of the cover: They had been very busy and they look tired. Guess what? That's exactly how it sounds, too. Yet, nobody had noticed that nobody was listening, yet. It was only slightly better as Beatles '65. That's a different survey!
KC
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Re: Official Album SURVIVOR (Round 3)

Post by WilliamShears »

Let It Be didn’t make the cut….Round 3 is now live!