DES "Digitally Extracted Stereo from Mono tapes.......

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
WOA76

DES "Digitally Extracted Stereo from Mono tapes.......

Post by WOA76 »

From what we heard in Get Back mono Beatles recordings like Star Club or Twin Track tape stuff before 4-track in October 1963
and there is DES I have seen other artists i wonder if anyone tried to do it like fan sets

do you think get 1962-1966 box sets like did for 1967-1970?
Chris
stereoman33

Re: DES "Digitally Extracted Stereo from Mono tapes.......

Post by stereoman33 »

WOA76 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:12 pm From what we heard in Get Back mono Beatles recordings like Star Club or Twin Track tape stuff before 4-track in October 1963
and there is DES I have seen other artists i wonder if anyone tried to do it like fan sets

For amazing DES stuff that is professionally and legally done with record company approval go here
https://www.ericrecords.com/
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

stereoman33 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:55 pm
WOA76 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:12 pm From what we heard in Get Back mono Beatles recordings like Star Club or Twin Track tape stuff before 4-track in October 1963

For amazing DES stuff that is professionally and legally done with record company approval go here
https://www.ericrecords.com/

this is what I mean I wonder why he thinks the technology is not good at this point maybe the Beatles recordings are more complex?
Chris
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

WOA76 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:05 pm this is what I mean I wonder why he thinks the technology is not good at this point maybe the Beatles recordings are more complex?
The technology is good enough but a good demix is 10% technology and 90% skill. The skills are rare and not easily acquired, and the record companies are not presently set up for that kind of thing. In the case of The Beatles, they can't use outsiders unless it's someone mega-famous and mega-accountable like Peter Jackson, because of the NATO-like secrecy around their projects. They would never allow anybody outside the inner sanctuim to have access to the master tapes. So it will either be a long, long time before we get official Beatles demixes, or they will do a half-assed job of it and everybody will be disappointed. Personally, I hope they wait. It would really pain me to see a bad demix of Please Please Me become the new standard version for future generations.
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:46 am
WOA76 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:05 pm this is what I mean I wonder why he thinks the technology is not good at this point maybe the Beatles recordings are more complex?
The technology is good enough but a good demix is 10% technology and 90% skill. The skills are rare and not easily acquired, and the record companies are not presently set up for that kind of thing. In the case of The Beatles, they can't use outsiders unless it's someone mega-famous and mega-accountable like Peter Jackson, because of the NATO-like secrecy around their projects. They would never allow anybody outside the inner sanctuim to have access to the master tapes. So it will either be a long, long time before we get official Beatles demixes, or they will do a half-assed job of it and everybody will be disappointed. Personally, I hope they wait. It would really pain me to see a bad demix of Please Please Me become the new standard version for future generations.
Well, thanks for that my friend I didn't know 10% tech...
Yea let's hope Martian can do what Peter did who knows maybe tried it... it's great and yea so I see why he said not there yet

thanks for the reply
Chris
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

In one of the interviews around the release of the "Get Back" film, Giles Martin said he doesn't know anything about that restoration stuff. I thought "Oh, that sort of explains why we got a trashed bootleg of the US promo of "Penny Lane" on the Pepper box."

Eric Records farms out their work to people who know how to make DES mixes from mono records. That's why so many of them are so impressive, and why I buy their compilations.

We'll probably all have bought the farm by the time EMI decides to hire someone who knows how to use that technology, and then they'll test the equivalent of the Windows 95 version for three years and then let someone use it, and it'll be worthless. So if anybody knows how to DES stuff like the early Beatles albums, by all means, please do. It's the only way we'd ever hear it.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

You can always check out Abracadabra. ;)
Gringo557

Post by Gringo557 »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:54 am You can always check out Abracadabra. ;)
Which I highly recommend . . .
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Gringo557 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:31 pm Which I highly recommend . . .
Well thankyou sir.
Lon Chaney III

Post by Lon Chaney III »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:54 am You can always check out Abracadabra. ;)
If something sounds great to you then it's source should not be an issue. What I mean is, Apple and Giles seem to think that the quality they want is not achievable right now, so no early album remixes. Yet the Good Lord Reith, and others, create some wonderful stereo remixes of earlier albums such that for me personally, I can't imagine official releases sounding any better.

By the time I discovered this new site, Lord Reith had already issues his 'V' remixes and I was stunned by how good they sounded. The remixers here do such a great service for people like me that are finally hearing damn fine mixes of albums that we loved but secretly wished they could have been in proper stereo - Rubber Soul especially. So I've finally got my wish. The only reason I now want official remixes is for the extras. I'm coming up on 69 (sadly I'm talking my age) and have loved The Beatles since early 1963. I am so happy that I got to hear these great remixes before it was too late. Thank you My Lord and the other remixers. Your work is appreciated so much.

PS: This may seem like an a&&-kissing post but it really isn't. I am in genuine awe of what people on here create and especially the Good Lord Reith for all the stuff he produces like Evolver and all the other extras he puts on his releases.

PPS: I really am not a&&-kissing. Honest. :mrgreen: